• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's a difference between Latu and the others. All the others had off-field issues but were fine on the field, Latu has both issues.

That said, I'd still sign him - he can still be the best hooker in the country.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
What exactly is the risk here?
Don’t care if the Tahs sign him. But you ask what risk is there If he continues in his recent ways or fucks up again?

Opportunity cost of spending $120k* on salary which could go elsewhere.

Negative and disruptive influence on team culture and a young playing group.

Reputational damage and dissatisfaction from sponsor and fans.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Don’t care if the Tahs sign him. But you ask what risk is there If he continues in his recent ways or fucks up again?

Opportunity cost of spending $120k* on salary which could go elsewhere.

Negative and disruptive influence on team culture and a young playing group.

Reputational damage and dissatisfaction from sponsor and fans.
Well we don't have a major sponsor to deal with so nobody really to consult with

Last edited:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Bit of a risk spending $120k odd on Latu AND a coupla geriatrics in Beale and Nadolo. Doesn't look good on a big picture matrix.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Bit of a risk spending $120k odd on Latu AND a coupla geriatrics in Beale and Nadolo. Doesn't look good on a big picture matrix.
I suppose it is about what options they could miss out on/ opportunity cost. I would assume these options being taken as not better options. Ie they probably have enough development project players vs super rugby ready players to give better depth for say players outside the 23 who are not super rugby ready if need to be called on. Isn’t that where we say we can’t compete against the kiwis for depth?

ps I get the old players etc and in perfect world younger players for same skill level and money would be better

Last edited:

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Currently the Tahs have a weight problem, as in they are full of relatively lightweight players in just about every position. The power difference and weight differential in the forwards vs the Chiefs was stark, and one of the main contributors in their defeat. The pack weight was close to 80kg lighter than the Chiefs, 10kgs per player average. The backs are also on the skinny side, with none over 100kgs and Mark Nawaqa the heaviest at 96kg. All quality players and up to Super Rugby standard, but when you have smaller players across the whole 23 it becomes a problem.

Nadolo and Latu would provide a significant improvement in line bending power and general grunt. They could also really use an XXL lock and a big TH prop. Fill those slots and the Tahs are finals contenders. Our locks are all on the shortish skinny size, especially when we have blokes like Hanigan, Sinclair and Williams in the squad. Compare our lock roster vs the Brumbies or Rebels and it really shows.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Currently the Tahs have a weight problem, as in they are full of relatively lightweight players in just about every position. The power difference and weight differential in the forwards vs the Chiefs was stark, and one of the main contributors in their defeat. The pack weight was close to 80kg lighter than the Chiefs, 10kgs per player average. The backs are also on the skinny side, with none over 100kgs and Mark Nawaqa the heaviest at 96kg. All quality players and up to Super Rugby standard, but when you have smaller players across the whole 23 it becomes a problem.

Nadolo and Latu would provide a significant improvement in line bending power and general grunt. They could also really use an XXL lock and a big TH prop. Fill those slots and the Tahs are finals contenders. Our locks are all on the shortish skinny size, especially when we have blokes like Hanigan, Sinclair and Williams in the squad. Compare our lock roster vs the Brumbies or Rebels and it really shows.
+ 100 as did notice against the chiefs massive difference in pack weights and I guess that is why they also went for Roberts as backline option as well. Good point as not considered that might be reasons why Tahs looking at these sort of players ie weight...size.....

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Nadolo and Latu would provide a significant improvement in line bending power and general grunt. They could also really use an XXL lock and a big TH prop. Fill those slots and the Tahs are finals contenders. Our locks are all on the shortish skinny size, especially when we have blokes like Hanigan, Sinclair and Williams in the squad. Compare our lock roster vs the Brumbies or Rebels and it really shows
Don‘t expect a whole lot from Nadolo - at least on a consistent basis.

This is really is just a bridging contract delaying retirement.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
The only possible justification for these signings is that hopefully they all have come bloody cheap.

I have a sneaking suspicion though that KB (Kurtley Beale) has managed to con Rugby Australia into an undeserved inflated contract like has has done his whole career.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Guys who have stuffed up deserve another chance, and some (think Slipper, Perese, Hunt, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)) can grab that chance with both hands and really make a big contribution. However, those who get given chance after chance, and keep stuffing up demonstrate that they are learning nothing and/or just don't care. That was the case with Zach Guildford, and I see the same thing in Latu. There is no denying the guy's talent, but his serial recidivism makes him too big a risk for mine, particularly in a position where we are fairly well served.
Zac Guildford is an alcoholic. Addiction is no joke.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The only possible justification for these signings is that hopefully they all have come bloody cheap.

I have a sneaking suspicion though that KB (Kurtley Beale) has managed to con Rugby Australia into an undeserved inflated contract like has has done his whole career.
Beale has, for the majority of his career, been worth the money paid.

He agreed to end his contract early when it was clear he was no longer cutting it last year.

You can criticise the decision to bring him back but you can hardly blame Beale for accepting an offer to come back . Ridiculous way to treat a great servant of the club.

Last edited:

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Latu is an easy one. Pay him monthly in arrears. If he fucks up off the field and the Waratahs management agrees, or he gets a red card - he doesnt get paid.
If he is squeaky clean for the season and does what is expected of a normal player then he gets a bonus.
simple - I mean its exactly what happens in the corporate world.
Am I missing something? Its not like he has a thousand clubs lining up to sign him - oh and also needs to play for WSTB / WH - not fucking uni...

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Latu is an easy one. Pay him monthly in arrears. If he fucks up off the field and the Waratahs management agrees, or he gets a red card - he doesnt get paid.
If he is squeaky clean for the season and does what is expected of a normal player then he gets a bonus.
simple - I mean its exactly what happens in the corporate world.
Am I missing something? Its not like he has a thousand clubs lining up to sign him - oh and also needs to play for WSTB / WH - not fucking uni...
Can't see RUPA letting a contract like that happen