• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I for one support the WAratahs signing Latu

giphy.gif

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
I’d still rather keep who we have at hooker. Poreki has been solid all year. Horton has obviously been working on his line outs as he was pretty effective last week, which was holding him back before. Vailanu is developing well too. Why would we get rid of any of these guys for Latu?
The Tahs lineout was third best in Super Rugby if the Super.Rugby.com stats are correct - just above the Brumbies and below Highlanders and Chiefs. Our scrum % was also mid tier at 75% although equal with Brumbies.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
Coleman has worked hard to get a positive and winning culture at the Tahs, I hope he doesn’t risk it by signing Latu. We would lose one of the three skilful hookers we have now.
Isn’t Latu the hooker that was throwing when we lost six out eight line outs against the All Blacks in Sydney a few years ago and the person who f*****d Ed Quirks knee with a no arms cannonball tackle when the Tahs were playing the Sunwolves.
Not worth the risk.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I’d still rather keep who we have at hooker. Poreki has been solid all year. Horton has obviously been working on his line outs as he was pretty effective last week, which was holding him back before. Vailanu is developing well too. Why would we get rid of any of these guys for Latu?
Who said they would - brumbies had 4 quality hookers this year by example - I think others would benefit / learn from latu as he has some strengths…

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
If a hooker can’t throw the ball into a line out straight, what in God’s name do they do at training all day?
Latu isn’t great at this.

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Coleman has worked hard to get a positive and winning culture at the Tahs, I hope he doesn’t risk it by signing Latu. We would lose one of the three skilful hookers we have now.
Isn’t Latu the hooker that was throwing when we lost six out eight line outs against the All Blacks in Sydney a few years ago and the person who f*****d Ed Quirks knee with a no arms cannonball tackle when the Tahs were playing the Sunwolves.
Not worth the risk.
There was something subtle I thought in the WA capitals of rugby regs post (WAratahs) which I wondered if was cryptic. I am just not smart enough to decipher his posts with hidden meaning…

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What I find funny sometimes with things like the latu situation is people think rugby in oz is healthy enough to not take on project players…wake up we are in a competitive market for talent where oz rugby ain’t the number one preferred destination and hence we need to look at players who may be challenged but still offer upside vs risk…

We are the 4th ranked footy code FFS in oz…

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
What I find funny sometimes with things like the latu situation is people think rugby in oz is healthy enough to not take on project players…wake up we are in a competitive market for talent where oz rugby ain’t the number one preferred destination and hence we need to look at players who may be challenged but still offer upside vs risk…

We are the 4th ranked footy code FFS in oz…
’players who may be challenged’ is a nice description of Latu.

Stade Francais owner described him as a problem who was a poor example for young people.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
’players who may be challenged’ is a nice description of Latu.

Stade Francais owner described him a problem who was a poor example for young people.
Ok maybe latu not my best example to make a point but you get the picture. There are worse offences then what latu committed off the field. The guy does have a problem with alcohol yes but there are worse offenders…

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Ok maybe latu not my best example to make a point but you get the picture. There are worse offences then what latu committed off the field. The guy does have a problem with alcohol yes but there are worse offenders…
People who blame LGBT communities in social networks. They are the worst of the worst. There's a special place for them in hell

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
i think most of us are more concerned about what he has been doing on the field. that last card of his were diabolical and it deserved to git im off, so far off the club has said adieu.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Guys who have stuffed up deserve another chance, and some (think Slipper, Perese, Hunt, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor)) can grab that chance with both hands and really make a big contribution. However, those who get given chance after chance, and keep stuffing up demonstrate that they are learning nothing and/or just don't care. That was the case with Zach Guildford, and I see the same thing in Latu. There is no denying the guy's talent, but his serial recidivism makes him too big a risk for mine, particularly in a position where we are fairly well served.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Guys who have stuffed up deserve another chance, and some (think Slipper, Perese, Hunt, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor)) can grab that chance with both hands and really make a big contribution. However, those who get given chance after chance, and keep stuffing up demonstrate that they are learning nothing and/or just don't care. That was the case with Zach Guildford, and I see the same thing in Latu. There is no denying the guy's talent, but his serial recidivism makes him too big a risk for mine, particularly in a position where we are fairly well served.
What exactly is the risk here?

And to be really cynical - what were the real impacts of Guildford going off the rails while playing at the 'tahs? He was a cheap signing who f*cked up and the tahs very quickly and quietly bought a one-way ticket to Auckland for him. I doubt our sponsors (let alone the average fan) had any idea this even happened.

And to be fair, none of us know Latu - coming back to Sydney with family support might be the best thing for him.