• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Well then ol Tolu can go and play 3rd div French rugby. its not like there are 5 clubs after him...
Trial and train maybe? He has to prove to the organization that he’s willing to improve on and off the field before being offered anything concrete . I’d still prefer Who we have already.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Latu is an easy one. Pay him monthly in arrears. If he fucks up off the field and the Waratahs management agrees, or he gets a red card - he doesnt get paid.
If he is squeaky clean for the season and does what is expected of a normal player then he gets a bonus.
simple - I mean its exactly what happens in the corporate world.
Am I missing something? Its not like he has a thousand clubs lining up to sign him - oh and also needs to play for WSTB / WH - not fucking uni...
This kind of contract would absolutely never be allowed to happened under RUPA. If he is contracted as a full time player then he is getting paid just like every other player in the team, with the same clauses on his contract.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
So Tahs is the Aussie team that has beaten Crusaders the most times with Scott Robertson as head coach lol
20220608_154036.jpg

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Trial and train maybe? He has to prove to the organization that he’s willing to improve on and off the field before being offered anything concrete . I’d still prefer Who we have already.

Latu has fallen far hasn’t he. One of those players who living overseas not the best idea. I don’t know if tahs need him as hooker stocks not bad but yes he is still only 30 and seems a troubled soul and worthy of another chance somewhere. He certainly will pay the price as suspect if taken on it won’t be for much money as his off and on field issues yes decreased his value considerably.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don‘t expect a whole lot from Nadolo - at least on a consistent basis.

This is really is just a bridging contract delaying retirement.

Yeh I do wonder if he ends up another Robert’s. Coleman looking at value force got from older players perhaps. I suppose Roberts provided centre depth with experience after Joey Walton ruled out but not sure we got as much value as expected. Force showed you can get good value from older experienced players to help your depth like Kahui, thrush and Holmes. So some merit in this strategy but about right balance and targeting right players. Beale ok with given don’t have recognised fullback. Not sure about Nadalo but have to trust Coleman and give him the benefit of the doubt as he deserves it given what already achieved.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Latu has fallen far hasn’t he. One of those players who living overseas not the best idea. I don’t know if tahs need him as hooker stocks not bad but yes he is still only 30 and seems a troubled soul and worthy of another chance somewhere. He certainly will pay the price as suspect if taken on it won’t be for much money as his off and on field issues yes decreased his value considerably.
Agreed he deserves a chance, and like you I question whether the Tahs need him. Hopefully he turns his life around because a rugby career is finite and he’s not getting any younger.
I have liked how Perese has been handed a lifeline, taken on board he should’ve behaved better and was wasting an opportunity and then showed loyalty to the organization that gave him that lifeline. We can hope something similar happens with Latu.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does it matter if someone deserves a chance? How do you quantify that for any player? It's professional sport not participation in a community sporting team.

Surely you're weighing up what it will cost you to give them that chance and the downside for you if they screw up versus the potential upside in terms of what their level of play could be versus who you'd be signing instead.

It seems pretty clear that this could be a choice between Latu and Tom Horton as the third hooker in the squad (not necessarily the third choice hooker). What would they be paying Latu relative to retaining Horton?

If the Waratahs are viewing Vailanu as potentially passing Horton as the second choice then the downside risk of Latu not playing that well is pretty low.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Does it matter if someone deserves a chance? How do you quantify that for any player? It's professional sport not participation in a community sporting team.

Surely you're weighing up what it will cost you to give them that chance and the downside for you if they screw up versus the potential upside in terms of what their level of play could be versus who you'd be signing instead.

It seems pretty clear that this could be a choice between Latu and Tom Horton as the third hooker in the squad (not necessarily the third choice hooker). What would they be paying Latu relative to retaining Horton?

If the Waratahs are viewing Vailanu as potentially passing Horton as the second choice then the downside risk of Latu not playing that well is pretty low.
Clearly the another chance is always on risk vs reward but we are saying if this stacks up ok. As I guess there are certain lines that are crossed which means a player should never be considered. Not sure latu passed that point but it is also about need first then risk and reward.

If latu was a fringe player where unsure if super rugby ready his goose would be cooked as would have been Perese’s. anyhow fully respect tahs final decision either way.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
BH, I’d rather see Horton and Vailanu push each other for the reserve spot behind Poreki. I don’t see an upside in bringing Latu into the mix. Let the young guys learn to be professionals from Poreki. And it’s less his playing well or not as a third stringer, it’s his potential negative influence on a young playing group.

Last edited:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
BH, I’d rather see Horton and Vailanu push each other for the reserve spot behind Poreki. I don’t see an upside in bringing Latu into the mix. Let the young guys learn to be professionals from Poreki. And it’s less his playing well or not as a third stringer, it’s his potential negative influence on a young playing group.
I think the potential upside is that an "in form", "on point" Latu is the best 2 in the country

The downside is just as obvious

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think the potential upside is that an "in form", "on point" Latu is the best 2 in the country

The downside is just as obvious

To me where latu may be useful is the force as only got Folau for 1 year and cron would have some connection with latu. Wonder if force would be interested as definitely more the need at the force…

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
For once it's refreshing for the Tele to reports on rumours that never come true about a NRL club signing a Waratah rather than the Waratahs signing an NRL player.
It's a classic trick to add some more money to the re-signing contract.