• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Tizzano was on the Italian unions radar previously, it wouldn’t surprise me to see him end up in that system after his Ealing stint.
What's with these flogs spending more time scouting our players than figuring out how to grow their own. It's not like rugby is some powerhouse sport here where we develop excess talent.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Latu back and in consideration by the tahs

Sounds like his most likely landing spot will be the Rebels, if he gets a contract here at all.

Interesting the article I read had comments from Marinos about him. I sure as hell hope he isn't pushing for an RA top up for the bloke if he were to come home. Talk about wasting money.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
What's with these flogs spending more time scouting our players than figuring out how to grow their own. It's not like rugby is some powerhouse sport here where we develop excess talent.

At least backrow is a position that Australia is developing excess talent, there are plenty of good players who will miss out Wallabies selection this year. It's also one of the only positions where we continue to churn out world class players.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Reality is we need to figure out a way to play more games because some of the guys I have been involved with in the past are worried about their careers passing without actually playing much high level rugby and the most concerning thing is we need to find a way to pay more. Outside the top 30 or so players some of the guys could be earning more on a job site or in a sales role. For a contact sport which could deem your ability to perform physical labor post career impossible because of injuries etc. it’s really not worth it.

For Tizzano I suspect it’s the lack of games that’s made this decision, he wouldn’t be on much as the championship pays poorly as well. Most likely a chance to put himself in the shop window for a gig in a pro comp.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sounds like his most likely landing spot will be the Rebels, if he gets a contract here at all.

Interesting the article I read had comments from Marinos about him. I sure as hell hope he isn't pushing for an Rugby Australia top up for the bloke if he were to come home. Talk about wasting money.
He is a very good player just off field issues. I don’t mind if he gets a top up as long as strict contract provisions that if he stuffs up his contract is teminated without the Folau payout issue.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Latu might be worth signing at discount prices. He is not worth the risk and expense of a Wallaby top-up.
I think he is too much risk, red cards, overall discipline and to team culture

The only caveat would be a commitment to zero booze with no excuses

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Poreki is going great, Horton is hero around the field, just needs to sort his line outs. Throw in Vailanu too. Do we bring an erratic veteran back that’ll push some of these guys OS?
I don't think Latu is a good fit in the current set up either. DC seems to be like Thorn in that he doesn't tolerate off field shenanigans or on field discipline. Latu can play, but too much baggage for me. Poreki would be my first pick of the 2 anyway

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
I don't think Latu is a good fit in the current set up either. DC seems to be like Thorn in that he doesn't tolerate off field shenanigans or on field discipline. Latu can play, but too much baggage for me. Poreki would be my first pick of the 2 anyway
Spot on Drew, wouldn’t we be better off paying those guys a bit more money or investing in developing a player like Winchester(Force) or a Pollard type player. If you were looking at bring a player back from overseas surely Rangi would be far better value.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I don't think that DC and Thorn are a great comparison. They are very different people. Pretty sure Thorn wouldn't have had a mufti day.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Poreki is going great, Horton is great around the field, just needs to sort his line outs. Throw in Vailanu too. Do we bring an erratic veteran back that’ll push some of these guys OS?
In short someone of Latus pedigree worth a shot for right price and would be crazy for an oz rugby side not to look at him. But yeh tahs perhaps less need with 3 quality hookers. But rebels or force could take a look at him. Yeh can be card magnet and yeh off field booze issues but he has quality/talent and why you would be prepared to give him a shot with strict contract provisions and yeh at a discount as his off field issues means his value a bit lower given risks.

There are other players with troubled pasts but with talent that have been taken up and really no different with risks of signing young unproven player on hope he can make the grade. In contrast latu has shown he can make the grade so on risk reward scenario worth a look.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
There are other players with troubled pasts but with talent that have been taken up and really no different with risks of signing young unproven player on hope he can make the grade.
James-OC-1200x640.jpg