• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Got a few more although one name I can remember ; Reece Robinson, Nathan blacklock, ex Rabbitohs winger with a name that started with a T (Talanoa maybe?) ended up playing at Sydney Uni and Ryan McGoldrick
He did say from 2008. If you go back that far, then you need to balance it with the success stories of Lote, Rogers and arguably Elsom and Palu who were brought back from league.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
One dud no one seems to remember: Pat O'Connor, Kiwi lock dragged over the ditch about 1999. Completely anonymous.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Forgot Tahu too. He was ok, wouldn't count as a poor signing I think. Don't count Ryan Cross since he proved himself at the Force initially.

Cam Jowett, another terrible lock.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I think I would take the Melbourne fullback and leave Latrell to League. I suspect that he would continue to get injured and he would also be a card magnet.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I hear all this talk of "getting them back" from league.

When you look at the history of a lot of these guys, union was a blip in their playing history.
Yeah and no. I know for a fact Joseph Sua'ali'i loves rugby and is hugely grateful for the education/opportunity he was given because of it. If they can match the pay he will jump back.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I hear all this talk of "getting them back" from league.

When you look at the history of a lot of these guys, union was a blip in their playing history.
Who cares - they played union at some stage and are bloody talented. So of course we should target them. As we know Joseph Suaallii not anti union…but equally rugby in oz at that time a basket case and we could not match the money in league. We want to target those league players who familiar with union so less risk.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah and no. I know for a fact Joseph Sua'ali'i loves rugby and is hugely grateful for the education/opportunity he was given because of it. If they can match the pay he will jump back.
Sorry did not see your post. Yep wallabies become a force and rugby less basket case (including tahs) he may be tempted to come back.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'd much rather using the money to get some of our exiled Wallabies back. Or even keeping some existing players.
I would rather both options pursued. Reality is we are always talking small pool of league players to target, and much bigger pool of players overseas to target. Just want to ensure keep the net wide as league certainly happy to target talented rugby players who may make the grade in league.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Id rather we spent 1 million a year on a TH lock TBH.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'd much rather using the money to get some of our exiled Wallabies back. Or even keeping some existing players.

We need to split our money improviding the supporting systems that breed success, as well as addressing our need to win more Tests. They feed each other.

The medium-term goal has to be a domestic national competition that allows our professional provincial teams to grow and identify talent.

If certain clubs would get out of the way on that, we'd be in a lot better shape from a financial and results perspective.