• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Where is the thank you for the Brumbies in helping to develop Holz even though he seemed so overmatched on debut.
Lol and in the meantime do you want to thank nsw and qld rugby pathways for developing all Current and past brumby players from those states. I think a bit going the other way would only make a small dent on that side of the ledger.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Most of these units "that got away" after playing Aus Schoolboys were already on NRL contracts and enjoying that private school education on the NRL's penny

Often with a manager working gratis for all those years as an investment in something that might come off.

And everyone here can talk up the prestige of International Rugby etc but ultimately, it comes down to how the manager is getting his percentage.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
So losing Jeremy Williams to the force…hmm
He's a loss we can afford as we have a number of smallish locks unfortunately.... Hanigan, Holloway, Douglas, Bokenham, plus Swinton could also play lock in a pinch. We really need an XXL lock and a solid LH behind Bell to fill out the squad. Pretty solid at TH with HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) and Holz.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Would be happy to grab one of the Sydney born locks at the Brumbies, any of Hooper, Frost or Neville.... They could have one of our young 10s... either Donaldson or Harrison. Pretty good deal if you asked me ;)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Would be happy to grab one of the Sydney born locks at the Brumbies, any of Hooper, Frost or Neville.... They could have one of our young 10s... either Donaldson or Harrison. Pretty good deal if you asked me ;)
Yeh not they bothered about losing Jeremy Williams but agree be great if got either frost or hooper back. Imagine if we had both of those locks we would be sweet.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Frost is signed until the end of 2025 and Hooper until 2024.

We need to look elsewhere. Neville is still there for one more year and I'm not about to chase him for 2024.
Yes just lamenting if we had them but know not available. Neville not part of the mention given age.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Who is available? May simply be beyond our financial limits. Big locks are going at a premium.
Probably more develop what is coming through our pathways and hold onto them and not lose them to other super rugby sides. I mean it is pretty bad when you would rather as a young person live in Canberra then Sydney due to better perceived club.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Who is available? May simply be beyond our financial limits. Big locks are going at a premium.
In Australia? Probably no one. Staniforth is starting in the Top 14 final this weekend, he's probably exactly the type of player we're after. Only 27.

Bring Harry Hockings home?

Could bring in a foreigner, but only someone currently proven - no gambles pardon the pun.

He's retiring so no good now but Kruis has been in Japan for 2 years after his England career was practically over. He's exactly the type of player who should be recruited. Obviously money is always the issue. Imagine Kruis mentoring the young locks Douglas and Williams? He apparently got told he would never make it as he was too small, put on 15kgs and become a world class lock with numerous titles.

Last edited:

Alex Ross (28)
Probably more develop what is coming through our pathways and hold onto them and not lose them to other super rugby sides. I mean it is pretty bad when you would rather as a young person live in Canberra then Sydney due to better perceived club.
I think Coleman and Co have done an amazing job at improving the perception of coming to the Tahs. But I think there is just a lack of available off contract options. Even Kane Douglas has another year on his contract.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think Coleman and Co have done an amazing job at improving the perception of coming to the Tahs. But I think there is just a lack of available off contract options. Even Kane Douglas has another year on his contract.
Don’t disagree as finally tahs serious destination to consider given massive progress on and off the field under Coleman. I don’t have any criticism of tahs including on recruitment decisions others may find contentious as they have made a lot of good decisions and deserve benefit of doubt that they generally know what they are doing. Lol us armchair experts having no idea surely not.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not too upset. He was a little disappointing imo.
The decks are getting a sweep though. Here’s hoping we start hearing about people coming in for a change soon.

Yep Ruan smith no loss as very underwhelming and hence limited minutes.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In Australia? Probably no one. Staniforth is starting in the Top 14 final this weekend, he's probably exactly the type of player we're after. Only 27.

Bring Harry Hockings home?

Could bring in a foreigner, but only someone currently proven - no gambles pardon the pun.

He's retiring so no good now but Kruis has been in Japan for 2 years after his England career was practically over. He's exactly the type of player who should be recruited. Obviously money is always the issue. Imagine Kruis mentoring the young locks Douglas and Williams? He apparently got told he would never make it as he was too small, put on 15kgs and become a world class lock with numerous titles.
Yeh but that sums it up as small number of options multiple parties chasing. Cron for example stated in his recent podcast left 30 messages for hoskings…hence suspect you will see outside of trying to fast track your younger talent coming through pathways to see more of the Jeremy Williams type movements and signings

A mutterer

Desmond Connor (43)
i want to know if jackpot has a son

and more importantly has he been raised on a braai diet since birth

he'd be about ready by now :cool:

Alex Ross (28)
Yeh but that sums it up as small number of options multiple parties chasing. Cron for example stated in his recent podcast left 30 messages for hoskings…hence suspect you will see outside of trying to fast track your younger talent coming through pathways to see more of the Jeremy Williams type movements and signings
30 messages and he didn’t call him back? What a prick!
But also, 30 messages!