• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
1657749961403.png

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
I can see how this isn't a bad signing but it fails to get me excited because I expect him to be suspended at some stage. I want the Tahs to go after a guy like Billy Pollard at the Brumbies. I could see him as the Tahs hooker for a decade.

I know they have Thomas Maka signed as well but after seeing the Aus U20s and that he has mostly been playing Colts for Gordon I think he has a lot more development to be done before he's up for senior team consideration.

Rae Rae

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
I can see how this isn't a bad signing but it fails to get me excited because I expect him to be suspended at some stage. I want the Tahs to go after a guy like Billy Pollard at the Brumbies. I could see him as the Tahs hooker for a decade.

I know they have Thomas Maka signed as well but after seeing the Aus U20s and that he has mostly been playing Colts for Gordon I think he has a lot more development to be done before he's up for senior team consideration.

Rae Rae
Yeah, I've got similar reservations, maybe he has changed, but there's always going to be that niggle at the back of the mind.

I thought it would have been better as Rae Rae has said to look at some up and coming local hookers.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, I've got similar reservations, maybe he has changed, but there's always going to be that niggle at the back of the mind.

I thought it would have been better as Rae Rae has said to look at some up and coming local hookers.
Well he's coming off a 11 week suspension in France and had another for Ref abuse before that. His team owner wanted him gone more than others wanted his signature.

Rae Rae

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
Well he's coming off a 11 week suspension in France and had another for Ref abuse before that. His team owner wanted him gone more than others wanted his signature.

Rae Rae
Yeah, it's a real head scratcher why he got signed with his history (and even with his history at the Tahs)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I can't imagine he was expensive

I have two concerns

1/ the obvious is his attitude, what the f*ck has he done to demonstrate being given a chance?
2/ has he learnt to throw well at lineout?

The upside? At his best, he is one the best around the field unit playing 2 in the world but can't throw straight to save his life

Lets see how he goes, but I am quite dubious

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's zero downside here if cheap. He's the 2nd hooker behind a very solid starter. At his best, he still offers way more than Porecki. His breakdown work is almost equivalent to another 7.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
There's zero downside here if cheap. He's the 2nd hooker behind a very solid starter. At his best, he still offers way more than Porecki. His breakdown work is almost equivalent to another 7.
Agree completely. Excellent player when on song, low cost, if it doesn't work out, then move him on. Could be a great redemption story ala Perese...

Coleman seems to be creating a fantastic playing culture that's bringing out the best in the players currently at the Tahs. Look at Holloway as a great example of a bloke suddenly fulfilling his potential. This could be another great story..... or not!

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Sorry, but I think this is a bad signing. I am all for giving a guy a second chance, look how well that's gone for the likes of Slipper and Perese. However this isn't a second chance, it's a 40th! This is a guy who is unable to control his actions, both on and off the field. He needs to get out of the high profile/high money world of international sport, get a real job and seek some psychological support.
Purely from a rugby point of view, I am very happy for the Tahs to continue to develop Vailanu as a second hooker option, and we then also have Horton.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Thoroughly agree with Froggy! Why? We have the current Wallaby hooker, 2 very good back ups. We all love a redemption story, but Perese made a few mistakes (off field) at the beginning of his career. He cleaned up his act and has shown remorse. Whereas Latu has been consistently playing up on and off the field since Perese was in high school.
Edit: 2 decent back ups….

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"2 very good backups" Yeah nah. Horton was horrible in the quarter final. Vailanu was good when he got his chance but nothing special.

Depth like Latu and Porecki in the 23 is the type of quality you need if you want to win a title.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Thoroughly agree with Froggy! Why? We have the current Wallaby hooker, 2 very good back ups. We all love a redemption story, but Perese made a few mistakes (off field) at the beginning of his career. He cleaned up his act and has shown remorse. Whereas Latu has been consistently playing up on and off the field since Perese was in high school.
One Super Rugby standard back up in Vailanu, Horton currently not up to standard as a scrummager or thrower. Yes, solid around the park, but weakens the team at set piece unfortunately.

Latu has been foolish a number of times, but where is the downside for the Tahs? He screws up again then he is let go, but if he performs to his ability, then it's a massive improvement to the current back up hookers.... At his best he is the No. 1 hooker in Aust. He was close to the Wallabies best player in RWC 2019.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Sorry, but I think this is a bad signing. I am all for giving a guy a second chance, look how well that's gone for the likes of Slipper and Perese. However this isn't a second chance, it's a 40th! This is a guy who is unable to control his actions, both on and off the field. He needs to get out of the high profile/high money world of international sport, get a real job and seek some psychological support.
Purely from a rugby point of view, I am very happy for the Tahs to continue to develop Vailanu as a second hooker option, and we then also have Horton.
Thoroughly agree Froggy. Why wouldn't we target Billy Pollard (who is a sydney local) , he will be competing with one of Canberras favourite sons Noss Lonergan who will not be going anywhere. At least with the tahs he will get the opportunity for a starting jumper sooner rather than later. Vailanu is certainly worthwhile putting more time into.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
One Super Rugby standard back up in Vailanu, Horton currently not up to standard as a scrummager or thrower. Yes, solid around the park, but weakens the team at set piece unfortunately.

Latu has been foolish a number of times, but where is the downside for the Tahs? He screws up again then he is let go, but if he performs to his ability, then it's a massive improvement to the current back up hookers.... At his best he is the No. 1 hooker in Aust. He was close to the Wallabies best player in RWC 2019.
If he swears off the booze I might change my opinion.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Huh? Billy Pollard and Longeran are going to be 1 and 2 at the Brumbies (in any order). Why would one of them move to the Tahs to be behind the incumbent Wallabies hooker?
They also have Connal McInerney on the books. Lonergan and McInerney are both locals which would come into consideration at the Brumbies more than some other teams IMO.

I'd love to see a 20yr old Hooker come to the Tahs squad and get some more game time and sit behind Porecki who will be 31 by the end of the RWC. Vailanu still has quite a high ceiling and plenty of improvement still in him from what I've seen and Coleman is obviously a fan with him winning the Ken Catchpole Medal with Gordon in 2020 then taking him to the LA Giltinis.

Rae Rae