• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Harrison's knee is completely fucked. He'll be lucky to be walking by 2023. It honestly wouldn't shock me if he misses all of 2023.

In the NFL Joe Burrow tore his ACL and MCL in 2020 and returned 10 months later.

Harrison is young. I expect we'll see him back next season potentially fairly early in the season.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
In the NFL Joe Burrow tore his ACL and MCL in 2020 and returned 10 months later.

Harrison is young. I expect we'll see him back next season potentially fairly early in the season.
Hope he makes a full recovery…. he must surely be thinking of other Franchises though. Deserves to start but will find it hard at the Waratahs next season. Should he look at the Reds?

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Hope he makes a full recovery…. he must surely be thinking of other Franchises though. Deserves to start but will find it hard at the Waratahs next season. Should he look at the Reds?
Have to think so. Stewart just left the Reds, can't see JOC (James O'Connor) being there much longer. I also think the Rebels aren't far off changing direction again. I don't understand the hype around the Gordon brothers.

Post RWC will be interesting. There will be inevitable movement through contracts, retirements etc...

He's definitely a professional playmaker so he needs to get himself fit and he'll have a great shot wherever he choses to play.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He's signed for 2023 so we'll wait and see what happens after that.

Personally I think he's the best long term 10 option of the bunch and hopefully he can get a consistent run of good health once he returns to show it.

I agree that the Tahs are unlikely to be able to retain all of Donaldson, Harrison and Edmed after 2023 so it will be a challenge working out who the best options are to keep.

Harrison probably has the most versatility to also play fullback.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Isn't his worse? I read he did his patella too somewhere. He was in a wheelchair for a while and didn't have surgery until a month after it

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
He's signed for 2023 so we'll wait and see what happens after that.

Personally I think he's the best long term 10 option of the bunch and hopefully he can get a consistent run of good health once he returns to show it.

I agree that the Tahs are unlikely to be able to retain all of Donaldson, Harrison and Edmed after 2023 so it will be a challenge working out who the best options are to keep.

Harrison probably has the most versatility to also play fullback.
Undecided where Harrison’s best position actually is. Fullback gives him a licence to roam. At 10 he has a weak left to right pass and seems to want run himself at the expense of letting the ball go wide. Goal kicking is a strong point though . Seems silly though for Australian rugby to have 3 good young playmakers at the one franchise. I too don’t see the hype in the Gordon brothers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Undecided where Harrison’s best position actually is. Fullback gives him a licence to roam. At 10 he has a weak left to right pass and seems to want run himself at the expense of letting the ball go wide. Goal kicking is a strong point though . Seems silly though for Australian rugby to have 3 good young playmakers at the one franchise. I too don’t see the hype in the Gordon brothers.

The Reds are really the only one lacking though.

It will be interesting to see who they chase after 2023.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
I think that on the assumption Beale will only be there for 2023 they could conceivably keep all three after that... 2 starting. one on the bench with the luxury of being able to rotate them or cover for injury... Great outcome for everyone.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Great outcome for the Tahs but I doubt all three would be happy with that. Salary-wise and playing time-wise.

The starting 10 is probably going to be top 5 in wages, whoever is on the least amount would fancy a big pay-rise if they were to be the starting 10 elsewhere.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The other thing that will factor in by 2024 is Jack Bowen coming through the under 20's. Looks like he could be a great player, and the tahs may well decide they want a 10 option a couple of years behind Harrison, Edmed and Donaldson to help with future proofing.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
TBH I think Edmed has the size and running game to also play at 12. Triple threats at 10,12 and 15.... all young.... Tahs dynasty on the way!!! ;)
Had the same thought about Edmed and I'm surprised he hasn't spent time there.
Good point.

Can only assume he's always been the best playmaker in whatever team he's been in at Trinity, Eastwood.... He definitely seems to have the defence to be able to play it as well.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think he has good skills and a sound base but would be behind Donaldson, Edmed, Beale for the 10/15 spot currently.
You can't put a full fit Will Harrison behind an old Kurtley Beale. That would have been the same to put Jamie Roberts over Perese or Foketi just because he was an international player with 100 caps. I hope DC does the same with KB (Kurtley Beale) and the young talent

Last edited:

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Praise God we get a fully-fit Will Harrison next year. To my eye he's got the most potential of the three Tahs five-eighths, if they're all fit and firing. Edmed undoubtedly grabbed the opportunity to play 10 with both hands and made a bloody good fist of it. Harrison will have to play exceptionally well next year to grab the 10 jumper off him.

In the immediate future it'd be good for one of these talented youngsters to move elsewhere and get a regular start at 10. God knows we need to develop a coupla class five-eighths in gold the next few years.

Last edited:

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Praise God we get a fully-fit Will Harrison next year. To my eye he's got the most potential of the three Tahs five-eighths, if they're all fit and firing. Edmed undoubtedly grabbed the opportunity to play 10 with both hands and made a bloody good fist of it. Harrison will have to play exceptionally well next year to grab the 10 jumper off him.

In the immediate future it'd be good for one of these talented youngsters to move elsewhere and get a regular start at 10. God knows we need to develop a coupla class five-eighths in gold the next few years.
I'm not sure about the conventional wisdom of spreading out the talent to ensure playing minutes. We've had too many good young players move for opportunity, and their development stalls. Especially when these blokes are very young, I don't think there's any harm in 3 young 10s developing together in the same team. We've seen them all used this season. They can train together and support one another - when the team culture aids that. There's no harm in them sharing time across other positions as well. They don't need the pressure of leading a franchise at 20 years old.