• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Max Douglas didn’t deserve another contract, I don’t see the issue. Needs to put on more bulk. We punted McCauley so don’t see why Douglas would be any different.

Alex Ross (28)
Max Douglas didn’t deserve another contract, I don’t see the issue. Needs to put on more bulk. We punted McCauley so don’t see why Douglas would be any different.
The gave McCauley 4 years.
They gave their 22 year old Rookie of the year from last year just two….
But Nevermind, you’re right. Such is the depth of talent at lock in NSW if a 20 year old can’t become a 120kg behemoth in 2 years we can just cut him loose and move onto the next one……

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We need a big TH lock. Douglas isn’t that.

Is he a better lock than Holloway, Hanigan or Sinclair? No. The Tahs are in a title window, there’s no room for Douglas. Simple.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We need a big TH lock. Douglas isn’t that.

Is he a better lock than Holloway, Hanigan or Sinclair? No. The Tahs are in a title window, there’s no room for Douglas. Simple.
I think that is the issue, he isn't as good as the above 3 and he ain't going to be the TH lock we need

Hopefully he gets game time out west and does well

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There's a pretty solid argument that it's better for Douglas to (presumably get paid more to) play in Japan and get more minutes at a higher level than Shute Shield vs being on a cheaper contract at the Waratahs, play next to no Super Rugby and be stuck in club rugby all year.

Hopefully he continues to develop, fills out a bit and comes back in a couple of years. There's no doubt he's got some talent.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There's a pretty solid argument that it's better for Douglas to (presumably get paid more to) play in Japan and get more minutes at a higher level than Shute Shield vs being on a cheaper contract at the Waratahs, play next to no Super Rugby and be stuck in club rugby all year.

Hopefully he continues to develop, fills out a bit and comes back in a couple of years. There's no doubt he's got some talent.

my theory is Japan is better for backs (focus on skill and speed) and Europe is better for forwards (set piece and physicality).

I doubt Hocking's game has developed much since his departure because of the above. In fact I think he would have developed quicker here (but not his hip pocket). Douglas is the same.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
my theory is Japan is better for backs (focus on skill and speed) and Europe is better for forwards (set piece and physicality).

I doubt Hocking's game has developed much since his departure because of the above. In fact I think he would have developed quicker here (but not his hip pocket). Douglas is the same.

I don't disagree with your general premise but my take would be that Harry Hockings was giving up Super Rugby games to leave here whereas Max Douglas probably isn't at least for next year.

So for Hockings it was Super Rugby vs Japan and for Douglas it is Shute Shield (and training with a Super Rugby team) vs Japan.

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Hockings would be the perfect get for the Tahs too.

Unlikely to come back to Australia at the present moment.

Simon Cron in one of his recent interviews mentioned that he has tried to no avail so far to speak to him about coming back to Australia via the Force.

He has a Cron connection and his brother (Tom) has settled in Perth after having played a while back for the Force

Alex Ross (28)
I would say that yes, he would be in our best 23 as a genuine big bodied lock.
I think it was said earlier that Coleman had left him a ridiculously long list of missed calls and messages of which none were returned.

I don’t think we need a player like that.

pnut

Alfred Walker (16)
So best player in Shute shield off to Japan. Says allot about DC connection with club rugby. Unless of course your his brother and coach a side to miss finals and get best coach. ?? Surely manlys form turnaround slightly more warranted

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Was Hockings actually big bodied? he was certainly tall but I remember him being fairly average in contact being fairly young and still on the lighter side.

He'd probably make the side but I doubt he's really what we need, anyway. I don't think what we need is actually available. Might as well just stick with the hybrids who actually want to be here.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Don't take this as diminishing the Ken Catchpole medal because I'm not, and everyone that has won it is a fantastic player but if you look at the last decade of winners the Tahs haven't missed out on anyone of devastating potential.

Scott Fardy 2008 (more than a decade ago) would be one that everyone missed.

Letting 2nd rowers go seems to be bad trait that has held them back but I don't think the squad is weaker because of this one.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Was Hockings actually big bodied? he was certainly tall but I remember him being fairly average in contact being fairly young and still on the lighter side.

I think he has got there now and is also very skillful for someone that big.