• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If your selections are correct it could be tough on Will Harris. From playing Australia A this year to a possible franchise match day suit in 2023. Contract only until end of 2023 will be a good pick up at 23 years old for another frnachise if he gets itchy feet.

It is but it's also hard to stall the rise of Langi Gleeson.

I really rate Will Harris and think he was excellent last year particularly in the first half of the season. Gleeson has shown a tremendous amount in a short period of time though.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Plenty of options, which is a great position to be in. Tahs could potentially have both Beale and Nadolo on the bench with Pietsch on the wing and Harrison at 15. Backrow is always a high attrition spot, so there will be plenty of starting opportunities with both injuries and rotation for Gamble and Harris to get game time over the season.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Backrow is always a high attrition spot, so there will be plenty of starting opportunities with both injuries and rotation for Gamble and Harris to get game time over the season.
Especially in a WC year. Surely the Wallabies coaches will be telling the Super Rugby coaches to give certain players a rest when they can or not to play through every niggle. Hard to do when coaches get the sack for performances but the number of injuries we have seen this year would be crippling if it happened next year.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Didn't Gibson totally stuff up his team management in a rwc year and have to rest all his Wallabies (well Kepu, at least) for crucial games?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Didn't Gibson totally stuff up his team management in a rwc year and have to rest all his Wallabies (well Kepu, at least) for crucial games?

Yes. There was an agreement that regular Wallabies would be rested for a certain number of games.

The Waratahs weren't a great team and Gibson went down the path of picking his best side and trying to win so they were still in contention for a finals spot and dealing with the resting problem later.

It culminated in having to rest key players in the final round. The reality of resting players earlier would have most likely been getting eliminated from finals contention sooner but not having the spotlight on him for his resting policy.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
For some reason, I guess coaching style and personality, Coleman seems to have many of the same players performing a lot better than Gibson or Penney did. You look at some (at the time) less lauded players like HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Sinclair, Foketi and Newsome, who many on here would have liked to see cut from the squad after 2021, putting in a season many would have thought beyond their capacity in 2022. From the outside it appears a much happier camp, too, although winning a few games could certainly contribute to that.

Last edited:

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
Plenty of options, which is a great position to be in. Tahs could potentially have both Beale and Nadolo on the bench with Pietsch on the wing and Harrison at 15. Backrow is always a high attrition spot, so there will be plenty of starting opportunities with both injuries and rotation for Gamble and Harris to get game time over the season.

The main issue is always the same, a short squad. But this is the ugly true of Aussie Super Rugby

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
I really like the new appareal clothes. I hope that means a new jersey is coming

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1668737462017.jpg
    FB_IMG_1668737462017.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 75

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
I know I am the appareal clothes' guy but is offseason so there's no too much to talk about.

Just look how nice looks the shirt and shorts without the yellow square of NSW University and the white square of Thrifty:

20221121-222233.jpg

And I pretty like the logo without letters, just the flower like the England logo. A huge flower for me would be OK. I hope ISC makes those changes in the official kit

20221121-222140.jpg

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
How do you feel the Tahs will go this season given this squad? I think they are lacking some quality locks but the rest looks good.

John S

Desmond Connor (43)
How do you feel the Tahs will go this season given this squad? I think they are lacking some quality locks but the rest looks good.
I'm feeling good this year - after last year's improvements. Some not bad signings either.

I'd like to see DC get more out of them this year now he's had a full season with the team

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Absolutely, us and Brumbies on par.
Bold prediction, I actually see the Reds will be the worst performing Aussie team. With Tupou gone, they are seriously lacking.
That is a bold prediction. I still think with Wilson, McReight, Mcdermott and Wright they will fall above the Rebels. I just don't rate the Gordon as a Super Rugby 10 and without To'omua I think they will struggle for direction.