• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It seems a bit of second-year syndrome with Coleman as a coach; other teams have had more time to analyse his game plan and figure out the strengths/weaknesses of key players.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It seems a bit of second-year syndrome with Coleman as a coach; other teams have had more time to analyse his game plan and figure out the strengths/weaknesses of key players.

Coleman was hyped up so much but that has now faded quickly.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I dunno if its just DC and his game plan, though. In open play the senior players are not stepping up. Gordon in particular has been terrible.

That said - the things you'd expect a half decent side to nail like lineout and scrum have also been terrible. So maybe he is part of the problem.

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
At least he has said he wants to play for the Wallabies. A contract upgrade might help or an agent may approach other Aus teams. Rebels could use him. Brumbies could use him at 12 as well. I'm of the belief that Perese will have a short shelf life as a Professional. I hope his Knee injury hasn't taken an edge of his speed/power because it's his main attribute.

We do have to slow down and realise he is still regarded as a back-up and were jumping because of Mack Hansen and his brother. Unfortunately we will never keep everyone. God, imagine if you were supporting Samoa & Tonga
I'd give game time to Tuipulotu Junior this season. If he's good enough if would release Perese and keep the big unit. I know Perese has signed til 2024 so...

Let's see what the kid has to offer. I'd like to keep him or in the worst case leave him to Force or Rebels. Even the Ponies need a big unit at the centre so I hope RA would do something

Last edited:

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I dunno if its just DC and his game plan, though. In open play the senior players are not stepping up. Gordon in particular has been terrible.

That said - the things you'd expect a half decent side to nail like lineout and scrum have also been terrible. So maybe he is part of the problem.

There seems to be a lack of urgency. A good example was the maul early in the game that splintered. Five forwards remained locked in even after the ref had blown his whistle with play 5m away. There's no way the back two didn't feel it splinter or the lineout jumper not see it and yet none of them moved. Similar with rucks. Just not enough effort going into getting there to secure possession leading to turnovers and penalties. Too many of them are wanting to line up for a run without actually securing the rights first.

The concern from my perspective is that this has been the case through the pre-season and start of SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) which don't seem to be getting addressed.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Watching so far this season we have three main issues
The first is, as everyone here has identified, is the inability of the halves to control the game and make use of the talent outside them. I think Gordon has looked decidedly ordinary this season compared to last, and neither Edmed nor Donaldson have looked to be able to get anything happening. While I don't have the same pathological and almost unhinged dislike of Donaldson that Derpus has, apart from a bigger boot he really didn't offer much more than Edmed. Harrison can't get back soon enough for me, and if he's not the answer, perhaps we should be looking at Bowen?
The second issue is penalties, and not just the number we concede (which is bad) but where we concede them, We are the number one in Super Rugby for penalties conceded while on attack. This is like playing with one hand tied behind your back.
The third is inaccuracy with catching passing. Quite simply, the level the Tahs are at is simply not at professional standard. I'm sure they all have the ability, so this is really about concentration. It has to be better.
I'm not too concerned with the scrum, it has struggled at times, but should improve. Given on Friday night we were without Bell, Porecki, Holtz and Faulkner, I don't imagine any side could have done a lot better.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Agree, Jake Gordon isn't playing well at all. ‘Unhinged’ is a good description! Believes his own rubbish poor bloke. While Donaldson obviously didn’t have his best game against the Canes, he has been playing out of position at fullback. Saw young Carter Gordon play fullback last year and he wasn’t very good. Last game Donaldson played at 10 was against Wales, so sometime ago. Harrison may take a while to play into some sort of form when he gets back and that will probably be at the back.
DC needs to look at his game plan. It’s not working. The backs need to get more ball earlier and not have the forwards hitting up one out all the time. It’s too predictable. A team needs a plan that creates doubt in the opposition’s defence. Our plan doesn’t. We seem to lack skills in holding the ball. The players do have the ability, they just need to play as a team. As I’ve said before, who’d be a coach. Maybe Derpus! Ha.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Watching so far this season we have three main issues
The first is, as everyone here has identified, is the inability of the halves to control the game and make use of the talent outside them. I think Gordon has looked decidedly ordinary this season compared to last, and neither Edmed nor Donaldson have looked to be able to get anything happening. While I don't have the same pathological and almost unhinged dislike of Donaldson that Derpus has, apart from a bigger boot he really didn't offer much more than Edmed. Harrison can't get back soon enough for me, and if he's not the answer, perhaps we should be looking at Bowen?
The second issue is penalties, and not just the number we concede (which is bad) but where we concede them, We are the number one in Super Rugby for penalties conceded while on attack. This is like playing with one hand tied behind your back.
The third is inaccuracy with catching passing. Quite simply, the level the Tahs are at is simply not at professional standard. I'm sure they all have the ability, so this is really about concentration. It has to be better.
I'm not too concerned with the scrum, it has struggled at times, but should improve. Given on Friday night we were without Bell, Porecki, Holtz and Faulkner, I don't imagine any side could have done a lot better.
Good post, only thing I'd add is our poor ruck form. It's just unbelievably poor.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Jake Gordon is too erratic for this team right now. I think he has a lot of ability but he doesn't facilitate the team to perform. I feel like he's stuck playing how he had to play between 2018-2021 when his intercepts were the biggest offensive weapon the team had but now the Tahs need a Longergan who doesn't do anything flashy but knows the plan, executes the plan and lets the ball and Backline do all the work.

Looks like Tuipuloto isn't going to be an option for a while:

Also from that article Edmed (back), Foketi (shoulder) and Gamble (shoulder) are all out unclear how long for, and Nadolo (knee), Jorgensen (shoulder) and Gleeson (knee) are all in doubt.
Thank god there isn't another tight 5 listed on here. They can cover the Back Row even though Gamble is a loss. The Backline starts to really thin out now if they are out. If Jorgensen has a niggle, rest him. Don't push it with a body that is still growing. Ben Dowling has been on the bench twice so far this year and isn't Joey Walton available? Might see Harry Wilson or Henry O'Donnell onto the bench for a debut.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Is there some weird X-men experiment going on where the Tahs' connective tissues have been replaced with wet pasta? So many injuries.
It always concerns me when a coach makes comments about big changes to the S&C program during pre-season.
S&C is a fairly tried and true process in the professional sporting field now, marginal improvements are always been found, but significant change can quite easily disrupt the balance.

Perhaps the injuries are completely unrelated, perhaps not. Maybe they’re still playing themselves into fitness.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I agree with most of you. Definitely Gordon, Edmed and Donaldson aren't playing at Super Rugby standard so far. I can't see any of them making the RWC squad TBH.

A fit Will Harrison would be a serious contender for the number 10 spot

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I agree with most of you. Definitely Gordon, Edmed and Donaldson aren't playing at Super Rugby standard so far. I can't see any of them making the RWC squad TBH.

A fit Will Harrison would be a serious contender for the number 10 spot
Only if :-
a) He gets fit
b) He gets decent game time
c) Actually plays well.
He's a way behind other options at this stage.
I agree the others you mention look nowhere near higher honours on form this season.

Hogan

Peter Burge (5)

To the contrary, I believe it’s the Waratahs game plan that is causing most of the team’s problems. They play off 9 more than any team in the comp which limits their young playmakers impact during games. The first 2-3 phases involve 9 to forward pods with Edmed and Donaldson not touching the ball until the third or fourth phase. It’s very predictable and most opposition teams seemed to have quickly worked them out. The result is they play very narrow in attack which doesn’t really stress the defensive line. And Gordon is definitely overplaying his hand. The game plan also seems to include playing no footy in their own half which is why they are kicking so much. The game plan needs to change to get their 10 and talented backline more involved.

I’ll give Donaldson the benefit of the doubt as I believe last week’s game was his first start for the Tahs at 10 since he was injured 12 months ago. Very hard for any young 10 to gain form, combinations and confidence with so little time in the saddle.

And as you say, if the Tahs can’t win the majority of their own lineouts, then there’s no hope.

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
How far do you think Jack Bowen is off? He’s my style of playmaker. Possibly on the shorter side and selective with his tackles atm. Together, Jack and Teddy play a good brand of rugby. Move Edmed to centres, Donaldson as a utility bench, and try and get the most out of Harrison (short too) in the 10 playmaking position. Keep Jorgensen at FB. The reserve 9 goes alright. Anyone but Gordon. Maybe this is a 12 month transition to get the best team on the park next season.