• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
He said this in an interview 2 weeks ago but was half laughing while he said it.

“It would be cool wouldn’t it?” Hooper said. “Seeing Samu and the guys represent your country at an Olympics, that’s pretty special. But I honestly don’t know if I could do it athletically.”

I actually do think he could handle it still. The decline we are starting to see is he isn't bending the line at Super Rugby as much anymore and isn't as much of a presence around the field. Can't really say if his pace has slipped but I think he would have the physicality to handle 7s. Would be a cool way to round out a career although parachuting guys into the team hasn't yielded an Olympic medal yet.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
How much earn an average Aussie 7s player? Or he will keep his salary palying fast food rugby? It doesn't makesñ sense at all. Maybe he would go to Japan again or France
I believe his contract is up this year. So would need a new one. Can see him possibly taking a huge pay cut to play 1yr for the 7s team and then head to Japan for a year or 2 to finish career.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
maybe it's not about the money....
Agree. He's done so much and has been well paid for a long time.

The 7s and the Olympics also has a lot of endorsements come Olympic time. Olympics starts at the end of July, if he wanted to play in Japan he could probably do both if he wanted.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Athletically his body would change for the 7s. If he joined the program full time I don’t think we could judge what his body could/couldn’t do after a full pre-season in that program.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It will generate money in the long run. Adds a few dollars to the sportsman dinners, media gigs, etc. into the future.
I read a paper on network marketing whilst at Uni, they used Nick Farr Jones as one of the examples

Newington old boy
Sydney Uni
Sydney Uni Law school
Wallaby
Wallaby Captain

The guy can get meetings, no wonder he is a sales rep (sorry "Merchant Banker")

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Good news. I was impressed with him last week.
He doesn't have the cohesion with the rest of the team yet, but I agree, you can see the raw material there. Physically he has more of a presence than say a Paisami or even Perese. At 22yrs there is a lot of potential.