• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2024

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)
Fuck sake it’s only club teams full of tradies and students. Also there first trial game.
Be a shocker if a Shute Shield mix-up team beats them though - even if the Waratahs is full of Academy players, it won't say much for the pathways system.....fingers crossed.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
Fuck sake it’s only club teams full of tradies and students. Also there first trial game.
Apologies as wasn't having a go at your post. I just can't see the Tahs winning consistently without a good fly half. It is that simple.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Be a shocker if a Shute Shield mix-up team beats them though - even if the Waratahs is full of Academy players, it won't say much for the pathways system.....fingers crossed.
Pretty sure West Harbor beat them last year in same match - The clubs will be trying their hardest - whilst I am sure the Tahs brief will be on combinations and getting structure and set piece right ,

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Tom Lambert set to miss at least the first month of super rugby, maybe 3:
The Waratahs’ difficult start to 2024 has continued, with up-and-coming loose-head prop Tom Lambert likely to miss at least the first month of the Super Rugby season.

The Roar can reveal the 23-year-old, who was called into the Wallabies squad last year during the Bledisloe Cup series, suffered a meniscus injury at training.

Informed sources said the injury is likely to see him miss up to three months, having had surgery earlier in the week after hurting his knee in a rolling maul.

Still no news on Foketi's wrist scans, at this stage that's probably good news for him. Would've expected it to be mentioned alongside Lambert if he was going to be out for round 1.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I think when you blokes get Harrison, Hanigan, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner), Jorg, Perese, Poreki back there will be a pretty big difference

Certainly not a good showing against the Reds however it's good time in the saddle for them before rd 1.

I'm not sure what you guys do with Gordon. I like him, seems to be a good bloke and leader however he seems to sometimes completely lose his rhythm. Also overplays his hand. I wonder if he feels like he has to create something constantly? Maybe it'll be easier for him when Harrison in back and can take some weight off his shoulders.

Currently Edmed seems to me to be more of a 12. He doesn't have that playmaker ability nor the ability to be a "general" yet. Hopefully Harrison comes back and finds his feet quickly. I think he will make a massive difference if he does.

HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) was noticeably poor in the loose on the weekend. Hopefully that's due to this "warm up". All the forwards looked off the pace TBH and played well below what each of them are capable of. I think round 1 will be very different. I really like the energy Vaianu brings.

As for the 15 conundrum... how would Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) go back there? Walton doesn't look suited to it, probably better on the wing. He has had a few injuries in recent years? I remember being really impressed with him when he came into super rugby.... playing 13? What had happened to that league winger you guys recruited?

Aus rugby needs a strong Tahs so rooting for you blokes.... just not against the Reds.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Problem is we are throwing guys out there like Max who haven't had the hit outs, then we'll get the shits as the team will be clunky.

We go in swings as to how we see our 12. I personally don't think Edmed is one, and am not a fan of the second playmaker option. It's unthreatening to a defence and tells you we are going to kick it away most of the time. Didn't work with Barnes and Halangahu and I don't think it would now. You need to be able to bend the line and have support runners off their hip. Look at Paisami. He has some flaws mostly around attackers being able to get past him with late lateral movement but he's added the ability to kick and pass from where it was a few seasons ago. We have that in Foketi. I think Perese can make a big difference in bending the line but we need support runners.

You're spot on about Walton. He's a Center. I'd leave Mark where he can do his best work and put someone at FB who has done it before. If that's Harry Wilson so be it. Walton hasn't even payed 15 in Shute Shield and he looks like he's trying to figure it out which you can't do now.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Problem is we are throwing guys out there like Max who haven't had the hit outs, then we'll get the shits as the team will be clunky.

We go in swings as to how we see our 12. I personally don't think Edmed is one, and am not a fan of the second playmaker option. It's unthreatening to a defence and tells you we are going to kick it away most of the time. Didn't work with Barnes and Halangahu and I don't think it would now. You need to be able to bend the line and have support runners off their hip. Look at Paisami. He has some flaws mostly around attackers being able to get past him with late lateral movement but he's added the ability to kick and pass from where it was a few seasons ago. We have that in Foketi. I think Perese can make a big difference in bending the line but we need support runners.

You're spot on about Walton. He's a Center. I'd leave Mark where he can do his best work and put someone at FB who has done it before. If that's Harry Wilson so be it. Walton hasn't even payed 15 in Shute Shield and he looks like he's trying to figure it out which you can't do now.
Without a 12 being able to play make and make correct decisions. D just outside in and choke the play. Much easier to defend

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Your 12 that can bend the line should be able to ball play enough or put a kick through. I'm saying Foketi can do this but Edmed would never threaten the line if put at 12. We would just have X2 10s out there.

If you then have a 15 with ball playing ability it opens up. Look at the Reds on the weekend. On multiple times Campbell acted as the second option who got the ball past the outside in defence.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Your 12 that can bend the line should be able to ball play enough or put a kick through. I'm saying Foketi can do this but Edmed would never threaten the line if put at 12. We would just have X2 10s out there.

If you then have a 15 with ball playing ability it opens up. Look at the Reds on the weekend. On multiple times Campbell acted as the second option who got the ball past the outside in defence.
Total agreement re Edmed

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
You'd have to think that Harrison's potential ceiling has fallen significantly over the last few years due to injury and the subsequent lack of development opportunities.

Wasn't there another kid who is the new saviour?