• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2025

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
BH, If I understand you correctly the message you are conveying is that our talent is dross and we deserve to be 10th in the world because, we are already ID'ing all the best talent and there is almost none who could step up.
Our talent ID is so good that we are suppliying 100 players to overseas leagues in addition to our own pro comp.

Compared to 10, 20, 30 years ago, there are way fewer unrecognised gems

Oldgoldminer

Herbert Moran (7)
Thank god they didn’t go and pick 2nd graders then
Funny how that ‘second grader’ held his own against better opposition in his debut and has since gone on to be one of only 3 Aussies selected in the U20 4 Nations Team of the Tournament.
Your entire argument about the Shute Shield players went up in smoke. There is a good reason why they were never part of the Waratahs squad in the first place and that became very apparent in about 5 minutes of watching them play. They were miles out of their depth.

pnut

Billy Sheehan (19)
Funny how that ‘second grader’ held his own against better opposition in his debut and has since gone on to be one of only 3 Aussies selected in the U20 4 Nations Team of the Tournament.
Your entire argument about the Shute Shield players went up in smoke. There is a good reason why they were never part of the Waratahs squad in the first place and that became very apparent in about 5 minutes of watching them play. They were miles out of their depth.
Excellent can’t wait to see him in Shute shield this weekend as a starter because his killing it congrats. You should be very proud against such lesser opposition. Hope he kills it at club level not just age group

Oldgoldminer

Herbert Moran (7)
Not anti jack good player just needs more time to prove himself against men not kids. Not rocket science. Sorry if that offends you.
Everyone has an opinion but men stand up and admit when they were wrong. It was a rubbish argument from the go, as the young fella had a strong debut and mate what more do you expect of a 20 year old front rower to get that taste and go back and dominate in his age range?

In my opinion he is one of the shining lights for the Waratahs for 24 as we look to rebuild. He got a little taste and did well and now has gone back to his age group and dominated. Mate he is a an U20 Aussie prop getting picked in combined southern hemisphere teams. We need more of his kind coming along. There is the makings in the 19-23 year range to get us back to the top, but it won’t come with taking pot shots at them as they take each step on the path.

pnut

Billy Sheehan (19)
Everyone has an opinion but men stand up and admit when they were wrong. It was a rubbish argument from the go, as the young fella had a strong debut and mate what more do you expect of a 20 year old front rower to get that taste and go back and dominate in his age range?

In my opinion he is one of the shining lights for the Waratahs for 24 as we look to rebuild. He got a little taste and did well and now has gone back to his age group and dominated. Mate he is a an U20 Aussie prop getting picked in combined southern hemisphere teams. We need more of his kind coming along. There is the makings in the 19-23 year range to get us back to the top, but it won’t come with taking pot shots at them as they take each step on the path.
Sure now kill it in first grade and I’ll be the first to applaud

Thalium

Fred Wood (13)

Here’s hoping the Tahs don’t bottle it. Marley Pearce is still only 20 play in the U20 TRC last year and he is getting better every game. I hope under RA the Tahs can slowly get Jack up to speed and not get him injured

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Here’s hoping the Tahs don’t bottle it. Marley Pearce is still only 20 play in the U20 TRC last year and he is getting better every game. I hope under RA the Tahs can slowly get Jack up to speed and not get him injured
Me too. I think Jack has the potential to be one of the most dominant Props in the country. Bit different to Marley right now as Marley has more mass than him making it easier amongst the bigger men. He's being listed as 12kg heavier than Barrett at the moment. Let him eat and train and grow into his body.

Looking back on it he has out performed a lot of the Club Props who have been given a run. Especially around the field. Think a lot of perspective might have been put into Clubland Props.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Also, the best Prop in Clubland around the country is probably George Francis in QLD. Tahs have trialled him before as have other sides but there seems to be something causing them to walk away immediately. He never looks fit but if you want a few good scrums he's the guy.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
Also, the best Prop in Clubland around the country is probably George Francis in QLD. Tahs have trialled him before as have other sides but there seems to be something causing them to walk away immediately. He never looks fit but if you want a few good scrums he's the guy.
Do you know what happened to the Rats colts front row from last year Fotuaika,Fatuleai and Alatini? They were exceptional and a huge reason for the season the rats colts had? Or were they too far away from eastern sydney to be considered?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Jack Barrett's play in the under 20s this year reinforced that he is absolutely one of under 20s players who should be getting paid by the Waratahs on a Gen Blue or development contract or whatever they are called these days.

Not anti jack good player just needs more time to prove himself against men not kids. Not rocket science. Sorry if that offends you.

That can come later. At this point he's proven himself to be one of the best under 20s coming through that we need to retain.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, If I understand you correctly the message you are conveying is that our talent is dross and we deserve to be 10th in the world because, we are already ID'ing all the best talent and there is almost none who could step up.
I think you are ignoring players who do not show outstanding talent before being 21. Then the other side of the coin is talented youngsters don't always make International level players. As an example, the club I played for had 2 or 3 U20's players who only played 2nd or 3rd grade.
Guys like Gamble are obvious and need no special ability to ID them but I contend that many senior club players are unrecognised.

The message I am conveying is that basically no one of any quality gets to age 21 or thereabouts as someone who is unknown to the system. We are not just unaware of kids who are fantastic players that suddenly become a surprise when they make it at the next level.

I am not ignoring players who don't show outstanding talent before being 21. We simply do not have the resources to provide a (semi) professional pathway for these kids in the hope that they will become outstanding in the future. We have to pick and choose which players we offer these contracts to already out of the kids who look pretty clearly like they are among the best in their cohort. If we had a lot more money to pay people then you could take a punt on more kids who have some attributes that indicate they could succeed later but perhaps have only just taken up the sport or haven't had good coaching etc.

You also need to accept the financial metrics of what teams can pay players vs what they have elsewhere in their life. If someone is 25 or older and would only warrant a contract paying them as a fringe Super Rugby player then it's almost certainly a bad option for them and the professional team. A bunch of players stick to playing club rugby only because they are trying to develop a professional career at the same time.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
The blokes who are too fringe at 22-23 to be paid by the Tahs are the ones heading off to 2nd division French teams or the like. As BH says, it'd be great if we could pay all of them, but it's not going to happen.