• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs Blues Sunday 24th March, SFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well, they did have a junior match on at half-time as well as the singer, and an inter-state club match curtain-raiser, and a fan day, and players meeting the crowd after the match, and as others have said, Tah Man is king of the kids. Can you specify what more they should do to prevent your embarassment?
Dear NSWRU staff member. Some good work brought undone by the shit singer at half time. Take the criticism and move on.

Reactions: BPC

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
i have focused my comments KB (Kurtley Beale) - you guys were horribly frustrating for the middle stretch of the game, but when you got going in the first 25 and the last 20, i thought you were fantastic.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Mitchell looked reborn and played superbly. Horne even impressed me!! straight running and i like him much more at 12 than 13.

Israel improved yet again, he should've passed on that 2-1 though...
foley is really starting to take shape.

your forwards were much improved, particularly hooper and dennis. thought dennis was immense in the last 20.

your hookers are horrible though.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Dunedin has "The Zoo". Canberra is getting momentum with Canberra Uni fan engagement. Palmerston North has the Bucket Heads. Suncorp has Queenslanders.

IMHO university students make great fans, particularly those from residential colleges. Sydney Uni and Uni NSW have these in spades, and both are in very close proximity to the SFS. Factor in Macquarie Uni, UTS, UWS, Woolongong Uni and we should be fighting for space in the cheap seats.

On the back of if you build it they will come, I'd be interested to see/hear what the Tahs marketing interns are doing to engage with and encourage Sydney's unversity students to the SFS home games.

Mexican waves, which get 60000 in an 80000 crowd acting in unison, are typically started by the concentrated efforts of 5-10 people.

Not suggesting that the SFS needs to be mexican waving, but the Tah's need to identify who those 5-10 leaders are in each residential hall/university and target the bejesus out of them to get a stack of students in to fill the cheap seats, add colour and noise, and most importantly negate the Twit on the PA to feeling that that they need to "motivate" the crowd.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Dear NSWRU staff member. Some good work brought undone by the shit singer at half time. Take the criticism and move on.

OK, so I must be from the NSWRU because everyone else is embarrassed by the game-day experience? Fairly narrow world-view there. I'm glad to see you've backed off the criticism of Tahs Man though.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Dunedin has "The Zoo". Canberra is getting momentum with Canberra Uni fan engagement. Palmerston North has the Bucket Heads. Suncorp has Queenslanders.

IMHO university students make great fans, particularly those from residential colleges. Sydney Uni and Uni NSW have these in spades, and both are in very close proximity to the SFS. Factor in Macquarie Uni, UTS, UWS, Woolongong Uni and we should be fighting for space in the cheap seats.

On the back of if you build it they will come, I'd be interested to see/hear what the Tahs marketing interns are doing to engage with and encourage Sydney's unversity students to the SFS home games.

Mexican waves, which get 60000 in an 80000 crowd acting in unison, are typically started by the concentrated efforts of 5-10 people.

Not suggesting that the SFS needs to be mexican waving, but the Tah's need to identify who those 5-10 leaders are in each residential hall/university and target the bejesus out of them to get a stack of students in to fill the cheap seats, add colour and noise, and most importantly negate the Twit on the PA to feeling that that they need to "motivate" the crowd.

agree whole heartedly.
i did university in Montreal and the Canadiens had a big push to bring in uni students to monday - wednesday night games. selling tickets in the nosebleeds for $15. a seperate section at the same price for families.
all about getting bums on seats, increasing the atmosphere and then onselling ancillary items (for students this was booze and food, families less booze, food, stickers, toys, etc etc).

very surprised Tahs don't hit this up with such strong rugby schools so close by.

Melbourne should be hitting up MU and RMIT, $10 tickets and reserve an endzone section for students/rebel army/partyers.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
./...snip.../.
your hookers are horrible though.

Sir Arthur, initially I thought that you were making some veiled reference to the quality of the service provided by some of the workers from Kings Cross, and was about to suggest that you send an email to the Kings Cross Chamber of Commerce Complaints Department.

I may not go so far as to describe them as horrible, but I think that No 2 is a position that the Tahs (and wider Australian rugby for that matter) are particularly vulnerable in.

There is ample discussion elsewhere about TPN's propensity to injure himself/get injured executing his style of play, and the frequency and duration of his injuries, so I am chosing not to comment further on this thread about those aspects.

A huge part of an effective lineout is the accuracy and reliability of the throw. I don't know the exact stats, but there would be few that would disagree with the statement that the Tah's Lineout accuracy would be in the bottom third of Super Rugby.

With so much potential to attack from lineout restarts, this aspect needs to be addressed with urgency.

Our backup #2 to Uligia looks a little out of his depth in general play and would do well to focus on his speed around the field, and accuracy at the breakdown and in the tackle.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

So we just have to 'take the criticism' do we, we can't argue. Thought the singer was fine, not brilliant but didn't detract from what was a great afternoon.

From my position it looked like everyone there had a great afternoon at the rugby, but this just shows you can't please everyone. Comments like this just give Tahs fans a bad name I reckon.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Sir Arthur, initially I thought that you were making some veiled reference to the quality of the service provided by some of the workers from Kings Cross, and was about to suggest that you send an email to the Kings Cross Chamber of Commerce Complaints Department................

I should qualify that i was referencing the line out throws. Ulugia (sp?) was really quite poor, quite often. Holmes improved, but as has been notice, the kid has zero pace.
around the ground ulugia was not bad, but some of the lineouts lost had me throwing my hands in the air (and i'm not an ardent tahs fan - though their style of play at times had me cheering them on).

Lastly, I have no doubt that, given the quality of some of the young ladies that frequent 'the cross' that said quality extends to the ladies of the evening who turn illusions for money there.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Game Day Management at the SFS
I have been an opponent of the Twit on the PA "NEW ..SOUTH..WALES" and the what appears to be compulsory live band as well as a DJ to fill in those quiet periods.

The half time mini rugby is awesome, but the bloody singer took all the attention away from the little'uns running around.

Playing at half time at the SFS for these kids is as important to them as if they were personally in a RWC final - a kiddy bucket list thing. This stuff keeps kids (and families involved in Heavensgame) and there should be more of it.

Crowd numbers were a little disappointing, but using the “If you build it, they will come” philosophy, word will spread that the boys are playing better, more entertaining footy, and winning a few tight games. The fickle Sydneysiders will come.

The live band was awesome! Its a shame that the SFS has an awful PA for live bands, because I thought it really added to the atmosphere. As part of the ADD generation (aka gen Y), I think getting fans involved over social media to request songs to be played is a fantastic idea. Gives the fans some input on which songs will fire up out boys.

Stan Walker was a disaster, plus he is a kiwi, not the smartest idea to bring a kiwi performer in when we are playing the blues.
And we need a NSW chant. The crowd wont do it, so they paid the guy who is already doing voice over for subsitutions and scorers to do it as well. I dont see the problem.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Does anyone have a clip of that bell-ringer of a tackle on Foley at about the 20 minute mark? Textbook. An impressive recovery to continue taking on the line after that.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Anyone else feel ripped off paying $20 for a car park over the road?
Ha, I actually mentioned this to the missus. There used to be a discount if you had a full car but no more. her response was that this has pretty much nothing to do with tah management and would be leased by the SCG trust to a parking management company who agree a price with the trust likely without consultation with either the NSWRU or the NRL or AFL.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Ha, I actually mentioned this to the missus. There used to be a discount if you had a full car but no more. her response was that this has pretty much nothing to do with tah management and would be leased by the SCG trust to a parking management company who agree a price with the trust likely without consultation with either the NSWRU or the NRL or AFL.
II gave them an absolute gob full

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does anyone have a clip of that bell-ringer of a tackle on Foley at about the 20 minute mark? Textbook. An impressive recovery to continue taking on the line after that.

I think Drew copped a similar one as that around the same time as Foley copped his.

They were both looking rather ginger for a while bit they recovered well to have good games. Schmoo also seemed to cop a bad knock on his wrist/thumb very early on in the game as well.

If it isn't on youtube soon, I reckon that they will feature in a Sean Maloney plays of the week segment on Foxtel Rugby HQ this week.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
It was a huge hit, cant get more textbook than that. Although in saying that was a bit disapointed Foley didn't try to flick the ball on, we had a 4 on 1 if he could get rid of the ball and it was a certain try. Seemed like he saw the hit coming and froze (as I would in fairness!).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It was a huge hit, cant get more textbook than that. Although in saying that was a bit disapointed Foley didn't try to flick the ball on, we had a 4 on 1 if he could get rid of the ball and it was a certain try. Seemed like he saw the hit coming and froze (as I would in fairness!).

Watching the replay last night, I'm pretty sure Rene Ranger got a bit of a head start.

If it was the 100m final, he'd have been disqualified for a false start.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
II gave them an absolute gob full

So you had a go at the car parking attendants? Why give them a spray as they would not be responsible for setting the price?

Have you considered giving the Centennial Park and Moore Park Trust, the parking management, a gobful instead?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Thanks for the link. That stats look pretty neat and thorough

I notice the slow ball count 7 to 1. Wonder how they class possession as being slow, quick and normal?

Not sure about classifications, I like the site, but they are scant on descriptions (like how do they define an offload o_O, apparently Mitchell and Folau are the only two to do it on Sunday for the Tahs) , they are also generally conservative on numbers

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think this is pretty shit. It wouldn't be tolerated if he did this to a ref or an AR - why should it be OK to do to the match doctor?

Maybe because when the Australian teams play in the South Island they don't get a warm drink and hot muffin break if the match doctor thinks it is a bit chilly.

He should have blasted the officials rather than the doctor. The doctor just gives his opinion, it is the officials who call the stoppage.

Status
Not open for further replies.