• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Cantabs. Saturday, April 30, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I sorry mate, I have to disagree about Tahs beating an understrength Crusader's team, they simply beat the Crusaders, and to say the Crusaders were understrength is to perhaps hint at not enough credit to Tahs! They were bloody good!
I can't think of any Crusader's players that were available that would of made a huge difference. Tahs won that in forwards where they basically just belted the Crusaders at the breakdown, that not taking away from Tahs' backs either.
Very good performance and shows that a large part of rugby is the yop 10% and just mentally tearing into it!

I sorry mate, I have to disagree about Tahs beating an understrength Crusader's team, they simply beat the Crusaders, and to say the Crusaders were understrength is to perhaps hint at not enough credit to Tahs! They were bloody good!
I can't think of any Crusader's players that were available that would of made a huge difference. Tahs won that in forwards where they basically just belted the Crusaders at the breakdown, that not taking away from Tahs' backs either.
Very good performance and shows that a large part of rugby is the yop 10% and just mentally tearing into it!
No i agree. you might have misinterepted the point i was trying to make...my point was that while some kiwi or aussie fans might try to downplay the importance of the win because the crusaders "rested players", to me its the fact that they rested players and were well outplayed that really encapsulates the improvement in the tahs (and the aussie conference in general). They underestimated the tahs and in years past they would have gotten away with benching a few big names. Certainly not this year.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No i agree. you might have misinterepted the point i was trying to make...my point was that while some kiwi or aussie fans might try to downplay the importance of the win because the crusaders "rested players", to me its the fact that they rested players and were well outplayed that really encapsulates the improvement in the tahs (and the aussie conference in general). They underestimated the tahs and in years past they would have gotten away with benching a few big names. Certainoy not this year.
Yep fair enough, and take your point which is bang on to. I guess I was quietly so pleased that the Tahs had won, not because I wanted Crusaders to lose (as akiwi was obviously cheering for them a bit) but because I always like the underdog thing and more importantly I really believe any of teams in Super are capable of wins, I wanted nothing taken away from the win. I think the ramifications of the Tahs winning for both the comp and the Tahs is hugely positive. Tahs maight get beaten in most othet games this year, but we all know going forward the players and fans wll have more confidence that will reflect in results and support this and more inportantly next year!

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
The last 10 minutes for the Waratahs is where Coleman will look at post match.
Crusaders were down to 13 men and came back to within 3.
Watching replay, not sure if coaching staff saw how much trouble Ramm was in and if Crusaders are reviewing the game, the fact they didn’t move the ball to run at Ramm may have cost them an unlikely win at the death?

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Well done Tahs. Great result for the competition.

That first 40 might be the best 40 minutes the Tahs have played since Cheika left.

How good to see a good crowd.

Crusaders were awful and i'd like to see the Crusaders record under Razor when Mo'unga doesn't play - I can recall at least 4 losses off the top of my head.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ 2017-21 overall record 61 wins & nine losses [wiki]. Mo'unga's stats have been reported [stuff.co.nz] as 61 & five so if that's true then they didn't win any games without Mo'unga in those five years. Sounds improbable but short of going back through all 74 match pages to confirm I'll take stuff & wiki's words for it.

Last edited:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No i agree. you might have misinterepted the point i was trying to make...my point was that while some kiwi or aussie fans might try to downplay the importance of the win because the crusaders "rested players", to me its the fact that they rested players and were well outplayed that really encapsulates the improvement in the tahs (and the aussie conference in general). They underestimated the tahs and in years past they would have gotten away with benching a few big names. Certainoy not this year.

I think, no matter what the coach "says", when a team leaves out a load of 1st picks, the team thinks they are in for an easy game

Now a steady rotation of one or two all season looks like an ongoing plan, a load looks like "f*ck it, this lot are the pants, you lot stay at the pub and we will still win by 30"

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Well done Tahs. Great result for the competition.

Crusaders were awful and i'd like to see the Crusaders record under Razor when Mo'unga doesn't play - I can recall at least 4 losses off the top of my head.
The Crusaders weren't awful at all. This is just wishful thinking! Had they been awful it would have been a blowout. The Tahs were hard, accurate and dominant in tackles - all the hallmarks of the Crusaders over the years.

And Mo'unga wasn't the difference either, the Crusader 10 made a few mistakes here and there but not bad ones, I thought he went reasonably well for a newbie. In a game where there was only three points separating the teams and the match could have gone either way, just a couple of linebreaks were the only difference and that came down to a few missed tackles.

Mahe Vailanu didn't win MOM but he had a monster game, particularly in making metres after the tackle and putting the Crusaders on the back foot. Right now he's putting huge pressure on for Porecki's spot and he has jumped over Horton with just one game.

IMO none of the other top teams would have enjoyed playing against the Tahs in that game. Just how fired up they all were at the end of the game is a measure of how hard they played and how much it meant to them. The joy they showed at the final whistle was reminiscent of the 2014 final; they were pumped.

The job for the Tahs now is to repeat the effort, to make that the week-in/week-out standard. Its basically a young team with a few old heads, so you expect that there will be inconsistent performances. But if they can raise the standard of play to that level then nothing is beyond them. In 2014, at about the halfway point, the Tahs were going W/L/W/L and then it clicked and they won everything. That's what they need to do now, make that performance the new normal.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
It's so easy to suggest a team lost because they didn't play well but usually their poor performance is a direct result of the pressure applied by the opposition. If the Crusader were poor it was because of the pressure the tahs applied to them.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Not that the tahs beat an understrength crusaders side, but more because the crusaders were confortable resting players against the tahs.
Horton, Porecki, Hanigan, Swinton, Harrison, Walton and Turner were all unavailable for the Tahs. They finished the match with, notionally, the fourth ranked hooker in NSW together with a hobbling James Ramm. The Tahs didn't have their "best" team on the park by some margin, but the players who ran on grasped the opportunity and will take some shifting.

Are the two locks, Douglas and Williams, injured?

Last edited:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Finally got to watch the replay having been away all weekend, and what a cracking game. All talk of the Crusaders resting players aside, the Tahs attitude all game was front-foot, keep in their faces stuff. The mettle Coleman is instilling in this team is terrific; in past years of they even got to the position they had in the last 15 mins, they'd have been rolled over. Vailanu, Gamble, Holloway esp in the forwards were immense, Edmed is developing into a really solid player, and Perese, Pietsch and Gordon had good games too. Really enjoyable win.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
The Crusaders weren't awful at all. This is just wishful thinking! Had they been awful it would have been a blowout. The Tahs were hard, accurate and dominant in tackles - all the hallmarks of the Crusaders over the years.

I wasn't trying to diminish the Tahs effort - and I agree with the point that it was the Tahs commitment and pressure that made the Crusaders play poorly.

The first half was a blowout - it was 17-0 and rightly so - Tahs were accurate and high energy and the Crusaders were passive and paid for it.

Crusaders conceded twice as many turnovers as the Waratahs (14 to 7).

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Dalzell has gotten the standard three weeks for his shot on Hooper.
There's a new rule out that lets you off another week providing you are a judiciary first-timer. If you agree to undergo a WR (World Rugby) tackle rectification program then you get one week less off. The cynic in me thinks that this is just another rort - soon we'll have no penalty for high tackles/head contact at all.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ didn't really work for Nu'u :cool: Maybe he should get an extra two weeks on top of the standard three: the one he got off for attending tackle school & another for failing it so miserably so quickly?

Status
Not open for further replies.