• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Force - 2011R12

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
TBH. All is not right in Tahland. Our best players in their position - TPN, Palu, Waugh, Horne, Mitchell are all crocked. Three of these players are world class. Take Sharpe, Pocock and O'Connor out of the Force and they would look pretty sick too.

Don't I know it. Our last two seasons have had woeful injury tolls. I was referring to some division in the camp and the fact that they can't get out of second gear most weeks. There is plenty of talent in that squad, but since week two they've looked like they are running through quicksand for some reason.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Force have had some injuries this season, too- Smith and Ripia took longer to take the field than others, and losing Pocock is at least as bad as losing Waugh.

Didn't the Force lose Sharpe for some time last season? Losing the big mahn at this stage would be a killer blow, he's the glue and the substance of those western fellows.

G

GC

I'm still tipping the Tahs for a narrow win. Lots of injuries but still a lot of class. Playing for a finals spot. They'll get their shit together one day.

D

Dunnman

Tahs need to drop Tom Carter. Everythings gone wrong since he's been playing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Tahs will play tight, you don't want to chuck it around against the Force

The challenge will be John Ulugia's throwing under pressure.

If that isn't spot on the pressure will be continually be released.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Tahs will play tight, you don't want to chuck it around against the Force

The challenge will be John Ulugia's throwing under pressure.

If that isn't spot on the pressure will be continually be released.

I think that's right, the Tahs will play it tight to play to their strengths. But the Crusaders played their usual game chucking it round and they won. Still, they do it with skill and style. I expect Barnes will kick to the corners hoping the Force will have to kick it to safety, giving the Tahs the opportunity of mauling it or using a shortened lineout with ball off the top to a pod of big runners. So Ulugia's throwing, which has not been good so far, will be crucial. If Barnes does kick for field position then we need fast chasers like Turner and Kingston, not Anesi. But conservatism wins, Anesi will be picked.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I can't help but think the Tahs won't get up over the Force in tight. The Tahs might believe in all this bigger is better theory but the Force are a pack that plays well above their weight. That Force back row will will really trouble the Tahs. Ulugia is the weak link but if his throwing is on song, I would say the Tahs have the better overall lineout. Scrum will be an obvious strengh for the Tahs.

Dicipline and execution will have to be the keys for the Tahs. JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't miss many. Barnes is a very good thinking mans footballer but on occaisions his execution lets him down. He will need to be on song if the Tahs are going to win this.

Force by eight is my guess. Tahs execution will hurt them.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The odds are about right at this time of the week. They are an assessment by the bookies of how their customers will bet, based on many things but including how the Tahs thrashed the Force a month or so before, in Perth, and without Waugh then also.

Compared to that game the Tahs have lost TPN, Palu and Mitchell and the Force have gained Pocock. I expect the Force odds will shorten before the game even though they are playing the Tahs in Sydney.

If I wanted to bet on the Force I would do it it sooner than later.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
The odds are about right at this time of the week. They are an assessment by the bookies of how their customers will bet, based on many things but including how the Tahs thrashed the Force a month or so before, in Perth, and without Waugh then also.

Compared to that game the Tahs have lost TPN, Palu and Mitchell and the Force have gained Pocock. I expect the Force odds will shorten before the game even though they are playing the Tahs in Sydney.

If I wanted to bet on the Force I would do it it sooner than later.

Lee Grant getting his submission for the Lee Grant award in early!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
NSW Waratahs:
Kurtley Beale,
Lachie Turner,
Ryan Cross,
Tom Carter,
Sosene Anesi,
Berrick Barnes,
Luke Burgess,
Ben Mowen,
Pat McCutcheon,
Dave Dennis,
Sitaleki Timani,
Dean Mumm (capt),
Sekope Kepu,
John Ulugia,
Benn Robinson.

Reserves:
Ben Roberts,
Al Baxter,
Kane Douglas,
Chris Alcock,
Brendan McKibbin,
Daniel Halangahu,
Tom Kingston.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/s...er-shortage-20110504-1e7ro.html#ixzz1LMhHXBEG

Bruce,

Can you tell us anything about Roberts?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce,

Can you tell us anything about Roberts?

Yes, fp. He came through Colts at Uni but played a couple of seasons at West Harbour before coming back to Uni.

Last season he vied with Nathan Charles for the first grade spot but this year he has really stepped up. He displayed an outstanding work ethic during the very intensive off-season training which began in November and in the season so far. He will certainly not be off the pace in terms of physical condition in the Super environment.

Ben has always been totally uncompromising in attitude and has matured into a genuine hard man. I think he could make as much of an impact in Super rugby as Nathan did with the Force, although they are very different players. Nathan shines in open play whereas Ben loves the tight stuff. He puts in some really big hits.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
What's his throwing like?

Anyone want a small wager that Sharpe will repeat his Canberra stunt, plonk himself at the front of the lineout and give Ulugia the evil eye?

F

front row freddy

tahs vs force

should be a cracker of a game..pleased to see ben roberts finally get a go. he just missed out on the rebels 3rd hooker. he is very aggresive and is cool under pressure. i have been told that he is an all round great guy as well. go ben good luck to him

Status
Not open for further replies.