• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it is pretty inconceivable that this guy was the Wallabies backs coach and yet the Force arguably have the worst attacking backline in the comp. Sorry Force fans but it's pretty much true..

M

Moono75

back line of the Force is probably more inexperienced rather than being bad. I don't think they are helped by some of the coaching. Too much flat ball, caught flat footed giving the backs no chance to run on.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The fact is that over here in the west without an existing successful culture or strong feeder club competition, the only chance at success is to attract enough top end players to be competitive.

By and large a good coach will attract these players as they wan't to play for him. I just don't think RG is the guy do this. John Mitchell did it with some success at the start before he showed his true colours. We are still reaping the benefits of this with Sharpe and Pocock, but we have since lost Giteau, Mitchell, Ioane and O'Connor.

Looking at those 4 names shows our current backline for what it is, journeymen or also rans (probably excluding our marquee, but the jury is still out).

M

Moono75

The fact is that over here in the west without an existing successful culture or strong feeder club competition, the only chance at success is to attract enough top end players to be competitive.

By and large a good coach will attract these players as they wan't to play for him. I just don't think RG is the guy do this. John Mitchell did it with some success at the start before he showed his true colours. We are still reaping the benefits of this with Sharpe and Pocock, but we have since lost Giteau, Mitchell, Ioane and O'Connor.

Looking at those 4 names shows our current backline for what it is, journeymen or also rans (probably excluding our marquee, but the jury is still out).
I think guys like Giteau, Mitchell, Ioane and O'Connor came to the Fore for an opportunity to start, good money and a marquee coach to play under. The Force need to consider this going ahead as its always going to be twice as hard to get top players across here. I want the Force to aspire to being the top team/program in the competition, not simply satisfied with being a mid table team....although the last few years it's been closer to the bottom. Retention of your top talent and aggressive pursuit of free agents must be a priority. God forbid if Pocock didn't resign with the Force at the end of the year.

T

TOCC

lets just clarify the difference between established top end players like Sharpe, Mitchell and Giteau were when they were signed, as opposed to the likes of Digby, Pocock and JOC (James O'Connor) who were still developing when they were signed.

T

TOCC

Giteau was largely playing 12 before he signed with the Force, hence Shiggins comment

Digby went on tour with the Wallabies before joining the Force...

Doesnt change what i said about been a developing player, he hadn't even debut'd in Super Rugby and it would be another 2 years before he received his test debut.

T

TOCC

Although he had played nearly an entire season at 10 with the Brumbies as far back as 2005...

If by "nearly an entire season" you mean 5 games.....
In fact with Giteau starting at 5/8 they only won 1 game, against the Cats..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He played half the season there with Larkham only playing the opening few matches, and SNK rounding out the last two games...

But yes, his shortcomings at fly half were known back then which is why Gene Fairbanks was selected over him for fly half a year later eh. Larkham went down injured.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Seymour has been upgraded to a full contract I think, previously he was EPS?

They also have Godwin on a full contract, and Fairbanks as well, who can play fly half. I think the Force backline could go better with an actual 12 at 12, like Fairbanks, as opposed to a 13, like Sidey. Still, it is, unfortunately, probably the weakest backline in the comp. I hope Mafi continues his good form for them, because they will need it.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
No they haven't got a replacement yet Seymour was always on a full contract and Goodwin is still in the eps. Fairbanks has a slight back injury ATM but I would like ti see him at 12 and either siddie or pattie at 13

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
If you actually count the number of players on that link there are 34 players one less than the total of 35 because of the departure of willy. Godwin is part of the eps for 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.