• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2022

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
With Brache going with TK, and Kahui still a ? whether he will or won't (coach or play ) The hunt must again be on for a real quality 13.

Throw in Kearney and (is Taefu going?) and the Force are looking skinny again.

They needed the new recruits from Brumbies to strengthen the depth, not just as replacements.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Players confirmed not being re-signed for 2022 at Awards Night:

Kearney
Lance
Longbottom
Placid
Taefu

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
With Brache going with TK, and Kahui still a ? whether he will or won't (coach or play ) The hunt must again be on for a real quality 13.

Throw in Kearney and (is Taefu going?) and the Force are looking skinny again.

They needed the new recruits from Brumbies to strengthen the depth, not just as replacements.

Yeh need a quality centre to support kuenzele and Godwin as well as quality fullback. I suspect they would be targeting Kerevi type for centre. Fullback interesting as no obvious targets but definitely needed as McGregor and Strachan not that top shelf fullback (yet). Also need another prop or two. Force will no doubt be announcing more new recruits as they are fairly active.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
It would be a real shame if all those players left and got replaced by younger developing players only. That would make the Force worse....not better.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
New signing announcement tomorrow. So either Mataele or Ferguson, although the Force hinted that "you'll love him"? Any chance we may have got Ruben Love from the Canes?

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Definitely :)
Excellent signing.

2021-07-05_0-07-30.jpg 2021-07-05_0-03-27.jpg

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Confirmation.2 year contract - 2022-23
Force sign Fijian flyer

July 5, 2021
The Western Force has bolstered its backline stocks with the signing of exciting young winger Manasa Mataele from the Crusaders on a two-year contract.
Read more..

Great pickup. How can they go from something like this to talking about Ferguson?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Good signing, will add a bit of size to the backline which they were lacking, i guess that’s where Ferguson came into the mix as well, another big body.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good signing, will add a bit of size to the backline which they were lacking, i guess that’s where Ferguson came into the mix as well, another big body.

I actually like how the Force looks far and wide for talent and considers the Ferguson’s etc. People seem to think we have an abundance of talent to pick from in oz rugby pathways - we don’t and last TT instalment should tell you that. Hence need to take some risks with looking at talent in nrl etc who could make the switch whilst also offer marketing value in attracting casual nrl sports fans to our game. I get frustrated by narrow thinking on trawl for talent for super rugby sides and reckon other super rugby sides could take a leaf out of Force approach to recruitment.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
I actually like how the Force looks far and wide for talent and considers the Ferguson’s etc. People seem to think we have an abundance of talent to pick from in oz rugby pathways - we don’t and last TT instalment should tell you that. Hence need to take some risks with looking at talent in nrl etc who could make the switch whilst also offer marketing value in attracting casual nrl sports fans to our game. I get frustrated by narrow thinking on trawl for talent for super rugby sides and reckon other super rugby sides could take a leaf out of Force approach to recruitment.

Agree with your point but still need to make sure that the people they are looking at are the right fit for the right reasons. I don't think we need mercenaries who get offered silly money because the NRL doesn't rate them anymore, or have a history of off field issues - find the right players who can make the switch and have the right attitude towards the move.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Agree with your point but still need to make sure that the people they are looking at are the right fit for the right reasons. I don't think we need mercenaries who get offered silly money because the NRL doesn't rate them anymore, or have a history of off field issues - find the right players who can make the switch and have the right attitude towards the move.

Matt Hodgson doesn't make offers of "silly money".
From all accounts he hasn't paid top $s for any player - but he's also yet to get the wins in Super Rugby.
He evidently knows the player market well and looks for players and officials (such as Sampson and Trupes) who have the right incentives (not always $$s) to make the move West.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
definition of 'silly money' is subjective, but i think paying a 31year old winger like Blake Ferguson anything more then $120k a year is silly money.

I'm not against converts, but i think they need to fit one of two categories, either a 20-22year old before they've hit it big like Tom Wright, or big name recruits who still have years left to learn and improve like Koroibete or Vunivalu.

I just don't see much value in recruiting a winger who will be 32 years old next season and has never played rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agree with those sentiments as 360 degree view of a player important as we all know the costs to clubs brand of a player who is talented on the field vs less talented off the field with off field issues

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
definition of 'silly money' is subjective, but i think paying a 31year old winger like Blake Ferguson anything more then $120k a year is silly money.

I'm not against converts, but i think they need to fit one of two categories, either a 20-22year old before they've hit it big like Tom Wright, or big name recruits who still have years left to learn and improve like Koroibete or Vunivalu.

I just don't see much value in recruiting a winger who will be 32 years old next season and has never played rugby.
In simple terms given force got by evidence for on field results recruitment right in face of lot of criticism for recruitment of older players etc which proved a materstroke I think they deserve to be cut a little slack on their due diligence. Let’s face it chasing Ferguson carries some divided views but could prove to be a master stroke. My point being maybe you have the odd Ferguson recruitment risk which is ok as long as having more of the recruitment of the Rodda type players. My point being it is tough market for talent and players who have marketing / fan appeal so got to take odd calculated risks. The force have enough street cred to take a risk on recruiting Ferguson if they choose and negate the negative Nancy’s jumping on the off riskier prospect who miss the big picture.