• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where To For Club Rugby? The Real Third Tier.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not desirable - as you then get clubs miffed and alienated who are not given same opportunity. Stars and Sydney University backing should tell you that. Like I said we need to take heed of past lessons learned.
Yep you’ll end up with teams during the SS season winning games by 80+ points on a very regular basis as they have all the top players

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
If club rugby ran concurrent with Super Rugby and a B Super Rugby comp is done during the international season, you’d have to incorporate club players with a quota system, ie each club gets a certain of players included. Otherwise, as mentioned above, the strong will get stronger and weak, weaker. The problem is than in a 30 man Super Rugby squad and Super Rugby U20s, the fringe players would all be contracted in one way or another, which does nothing to bridge the gap btw club and super rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If club rugby ran concurrent with Super Rugby and a B Super Rugby comp is done during the international season, you’d have to incorporate club players with a quota system, ie each club gets a certain of players included. Otherwise, as mentioned above, the strong will get stronger and weak, weaker. The problem is than in a 30 man Super Rugby squad and Super Rugby U20s, the fringe players would all be contracted in one way or another, which does nothing to bridge the gap btw club and super rugby.
Really just proposing same concept as nrc but just linking to existing super brand so not sure I see the problem as game would be after shute shield etc has finished and actually means less club players then nrc if only limiting to super rugby teams

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah the NRC is needed. Just because NSW wouldn’t commit it ends up scrapped. The Qld and the ACT had the best NRC programs and look at them now NSW had the worst and this year they went winless

Hard not to draw the obvious conclusions, eh RMan?

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Really just proposing same concept as nrc but just linking to existing super brand so not sure I see the problem as game would be after shute shield etc has finished and actually means less club players then nrc if only limiting to super rugby teams
I think that’s a really good concept. Personally I would like to see promising or proven club players given an opportunity.

As an aside, Are all players in Mitre 10 contracted players? Does anyone come from Wellington club rugby and play for their NPC sides? Do the players who play for the NPC side but don’t play for the hurricanes play club rugby?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think that’s a really good concept. Personally I would like to see promising or proven club players given an opportunity.

As an aside, Are all players in Mitre 10 contracted players? Does anyone come from Wellington club rugby and play for their NPC sides? Do the players who play for the NPC side but don’t play for the hurricanes play club rugby?
All NPC players are paid to play. Salaries range between $20-50k. I don’t think there is much of Super Rugby contracted players going back to club footy as they play several B side matches and the Mitre 10 season is a solid length to get footy into players. Maybe I’m wrong but there is a higher chance of an Aus Super Rugby contracted player playing club footy than a kiwi one

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I loved the NRC, but it’s not coming back, too much politics involved to reinvigorate that.

But I think there’s some real merit in expanding the Club Championship, obviously they can’t all play each other so proposing a concept similar to that used in the European Champions and Challenge Cup.

Could easily be a 5 or 6 week tournament following the club rugby season, that would be 3 or 4 pool games followed by a knock out finals series.

CAB26209-1AEA-4CE2-B3DE-8408F5C00343.jpeg

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I loved the NRC, but it’s not coming back, too much politics involved to reinvigorate that.

But I think there’s some real merit in expanding the Club Championship, obviously they can’t all play each other so proposing a concept similar to that used in the European Champions and Challenge Cup.

Could easily be a 5 or 6 week tournament following the club rugby season, that would be 3 or 4 pool games followed by a knock out finals series.

I don't think it works, Adam. We are looking for a comp with a step up in quality. Just extending the the same competitions crossing states is interesting - but there is no condensing into better quality teams.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don't think it works, Adam. We are looking for a comp with a step up in quality. Just extending the the same competitions crossing states is interesting - but there is no condensing into better quality teams.

politics will prevent any new version of the NRC for at least another 10 years, it's just not happening.

building on club rugby is the only feasible concept IMO

dru

Tim Horan (67)
politics will prevent any new version of the NRC for at least another 10 years, it's just not happening.

building on club rugby is the only feasible concept IMO

I f that is the case, then it will not go slightly close to filling the role that NRC did. Doesn't mean you are not right of course.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

View attachment 12237

Quite like the structure of what you've put up. Would probably prefer their to be 16 teams in each bracket personally to allow for 3 weeks of pool play plus finals for a total of 6 weeks. May be a means for promotion for the likes of the John Dent, Dewar Shield and Fortescue Cup teams over time would be useful but a solid structure that would likely fit with the overall level for many of the teams.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
They need to do something.
The NRC being scrapped means I am potentially going to cancel my Stan subscription sometime around August/September once QPR season ends.

At the very least, I would like to see a national sevens/tens tournament if we can’t get a National club comp.

How good would it be tuning in for a Saturday/Sunday sevens tournament where we get to see Randwick vs UQ or brothers vs Manly. The sevens tournaments in spring have QPR/Shute shield teams but we never get to see these club sides with their super rugby players playing sevens!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Quite like the structure of what you've put up. Would probably prefer their to be 16 teams in each bracket personally to allow for 3 weeks of pool play plus finals for a total of 6 weeks. May be a means for promotion for the likes of the John Dent, Dewar Shield and Fortescue Cup teams over time would be useful but a solid structure that would likely fit with the overall level for many of the teams.

I think the structure is flexible, only reason i suggested the John Dent, Dewar and Fortescue teams play in Div 2 is someone previously suggested they wouldn't be competitive against the top SS/QPR teams. I think you could run it for one season, and see what the levels of competitiveness are and if there is a gulf between the respective competitions and adjust following years.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
They need to do something.
The NRC being scrapped means I am potentially going to cancel my Stan subscription sometime around August/September once QPR season ends.

At the very least, I would like to see a national sevens/tens tournament if we can’t get a National club comp.

How good would it be tuning in for a Saturday/Sunday sevens tournament where we get to see Randwick vs UQ or brothers vs Manly. The sevens tournaments in spring have QPR/Shute shield teams but we never get to see these club sides with their super rugby players playing sevens!

I'd like a 10s tournament. Start with a few state 10s tournaments featuring a mix of clubs and regions. Then have a final national tournament. I think it would be quite interesting.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think the structure is flexible, only reason i suggested the John Dent, Dewar and Fortescue teams play in Div 2 is someone previously suggested they wouldn't be competitive against the top SS/QPR teams. I think you could run it for one season, and see what the levels of competitiveness are and if there is a gulf between the respective competitions and adjust following years.

No. I think the Shield division would actually be a good place for them to start and prove themselves strong enough to progress. I could see them being competitive with the bottom half of the Shute and QPR. I quite like the overall structure. Could even have the teams in the Cup play each other home and away. Just think there should be a pathway forward for the structure to grow to include more teams over time. But I think it would be a really solid start.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
One question - who’s paying for 23 players plus 3-4 traveling reserves, another 4-5 coaches and trainers etc. to fly across the nation and spend the night or two in accommodation. For 20 or so teams to do this in a competition. Also remembering many of these guys work Monday to Friday so would have to travel directly after work on a Friday for a Saturday game and return on a Sunday. Some no doubt work weekends, security guards, night club bouncers etc. Add in some food costs as well. It would be considerably more expensive than running an NRC style comp

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
One question - who’s paying for 23 players plus 3-4 traveling reserves, another 4-5 coaches and trainers etc. to fly across the nation and spend the night or two in accommodation. For 20 or so teams to do this in a competition. Also remembering many of these guys work Monday to Friday so would have to travel directly after work on a Friday for a Saturday game and return on a Sunday. Some no doubt work weekends, security guards, night club bouncers etc. Add in some food costs as well. It would be considerably more expensive than running an NRC style comp

NRC reduced costs by making the teams fly in and out same day, no reason that can't remain.

Obviously cost is a massive issue in any new competition which is been proposed, club or NRC. Personally i would just start with the Cup Final because i think that's a moderately achievable goal and look to expand to a shield final later on.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Ice Hockey seem to manage it. Surely we could.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)