• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where To For Club Rugby? The Real Third Tier.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
a Club Championship is better than nothing else
Not if entities end up in the red.

When you actually settle on what a 3rd tier concept looks like let me know then we can do the financial analysis. However, this concept could be revenue neutral if scaled appropriately.
How about I downscale your concept, so it still remains yours. Start small. 4 Syd, 3 Bris, 1 Cbr. One bracket, three weeks.

Show me da money.

And who's paying it.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
I’d genuinely prefer we do nothing rather than a club championship. What a waste of money for little to no gain

NRC in some format needs to come back, whether it’s in the next week or in 5 years. The new NRC needs to be planned better, have a clear and manageable vision shared across all teams/union/whoever the hell is involved.

Financially, if all other avenues fail I’d be looking to invest a large chunk of Lions tour returns/ fingers crossed World Cup 2027 into this project as an investment on our future

There’s no other logical way to ensure the players that need developing are going to have that pathway to develop without totally fucking up club sides and seeing major player drain to successful teams. Going from Shute to Super rugby is some 90’s bullshit that shouldn’t fly in this modern age of professionalism, could you imagine the Crusaders consistently picking players out of Heartland rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not if entities end up in the red.

How about I downscale your concept, so it still remains yours. Start small. 4 Syd, 3 Bris, 1 Cbr. One bracket, three weeks.

Show me da money.

And who's paying it.

Not sure why you’re emphasising on the ‘your concept’, I don’t give a crap who comes up with the concepts I just want to see Rugby stronger in this country.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lots of discussion re the merits of a Club championship vs NRC.

To me that is way down the track. That is an add on or extension comp to the various State Premier Rugby comps .

But how do we create the best possible competition at this level? How do we spread talent to even the teams and how do we engage with supporters to grow the interest in the game at this level.

We have Manly and Warringah derby pulling bigger crowds than Manly NRL. Big crowds at North Sydney oval. How do we get that same interest across the entire competition??

dru

Tim Horan (67)
They are allocated no different to now.
I strongly disagree with the suggestion that Club Rugby doesn’t provide development of players.

More to the point, the suggestion of a club championship is due to no other alternative. I’m not suggesting this is better at development then the NRC. But the NRC isn’t coming back any time soon, no one will be willing to touch that in the next few years at least.

For goodness sake. I never suggested that Club rugby doesn't provide development. But you know that don't you, Adam?

I am suggesting we need a development vehicle that breaches development to Club, across the gap to Super. A chasm in deed.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
They are allocated no different to now.
I strongly disagree with the suggestion that Club Rugby doesn’t provide development of players.

More to the point, the suggestion of a club championship is due to no other alternative. I’m not suggesting this is better at development then the NRC. But the NRC isn’t coming back any time soon, no one will be willing to touch that in the next few years at least.

No, that's false. With NRC they are allocated an NRC team and add to the concentration of talent that makes a bridge between Club and Super. And a place for returning WBs to tune up.

If you mean that they are allocated a Club, well they are. And by definition the concentration of talent is well watered down. The successful Clubs are at no level close to NRC even with that talent. And a lot of Super non-international talent is not being used, as the Club comp proceeds.

More than this, as specific clubs become successful at this new "almost bridge" to Super, they will attract the top Club talent. And we are back to that lop-sided Club comp, again.

Look, NRC failed to gather support from SRU and that is definitely a problem. But setting this back to Club is worse.

I'd suggest we need an NRC hybrid that is somewhere between NRC and whatever the swinging dicks at SRU want. I don't know what that is, which means Adam you are a lot closer than I am.

But I don't think you are 100% there at the moment.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Interest not so sure, that’s a multi layered question affected by a whole range of issues across different demographics

My main crux with club rugby and to a extension would probably aid in the above, is that we’re overreaching with the number of grades. I’m going to use Sydney as the example because it’s what I know but imagine it could in some way apply to QLD too

Said this in I think the subbies? Thread recently but why do we have so many grades?? Premier club 2 Grades one colts that’s it, it’s supposed to be a representative level competition, why do we have a 4th grade premier comp??

Premier Comp 2 Grades, 1 Colts
Subbies comp 2 Grades, 1 Colts

This will not only act as quality control for premier grade, ie if a player wants to play at a high level they’ll essentially be forced to look for a club that needs their services, aiding those clubs in the process, but it will filter a lot of players back to subbies which is on life support in a lot of areas of Sydney

Forcing Subbies into smaller number of grades will aid in the formation of new clubs, meaning that (fingers crossed) subbies can become a local comp for everyone, no average park footballer wants to spend their weekend travelling from one side of Sydney to the other. More accessibility more playing numbers more interest in the sport and the above levels

Totally recognise there would be short term hurt for people here across the board but rugby doesn’t need a premier 3rd grade colts side, Mosman rugby doesn’t need a 5th grade side. They just don’t.

Rugby league has far better participation numbers than us and they don’t try to stretch themselves as thin as we do

Local subbies comp then become genuine feeders for premier and we see a bottom to top pathway start to emerge

As a GPS boy I know this is pie in the sky type of stuff but I’d move Schoolyboy rugby to Friday arvo a, junior club and subbies all go on Saturday then Junior reps and Premier grade play Sunday

Juniors do away with state cup (assuming they still do that?) and have a proper season that mirrors premier club so they’re all playing at the same venue and get some alignment going

—————-

I came up with this in about 10 minutes and probably forgot 10000 different things that would mean the above wouldn’t work, but hey bit of fun aye?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
For goodness sake. I never suggested that Club rugby doesn't provide development. But you know that don't you, Adam?

I am suggesting we need a development vehicle that breaches development to Club, across the gap to Super. A chasm in deed.

That was how your comment read mate, if that’s not what you meant I apologise but it’s how it came across

I don’t disagree something is needed to bridge that gap, my opinion is that it won’t be the NRC due to politics. What I’m suggesting is in the absence of the NRC, what can be done with club rugby

Reactions: dru

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If you want to do this right - and again, having not read the entire thread - then Premier Rugby needs to be run in a top-down fashion, and resources allocated evenly across the clubs.

Cannot continue the system as it exists. It isn't pro, it isn't grassroots; it is some kind of mutant half-breed that wants all the cakes as well as eating them in very small pockets in the Eastern Suburbs and Northern Beaches.

Effectively you still need to divest the club from its lower grades, and if that happens you're heading to a franchise model which is - oh wait - like the NRC o_O

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Gents, I think we’re looking at this problem set differently. Let me be clear, I agree losing NRC was a massive negative, and a club championship won’t be at the same level. So you can stop criticising me in that regard.

IMO, the problem is no longer simply ‘what is the best solution’, because RA tried to address this problem and it failed due to a variety of reasons. The problem faced now is ‘what the best solution, which will pass the Australian Rugby politics test’, which limits the scope of what can be done and all but rules out the NRC.