• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
And that comes down to wether the ARU is a business or guardian of the sport. While it's important that they get the financial side correct so they don't bankrupt the sport, there are more considerations that must me made so they can fulfil their key reason for existing which is shepherding the future of the game.

In a net sum scenario, 8'000 fans in Melbourne is equal to 8'000 fans in Melbourne. But in the real world when the Brumbies supporters show their faith and support by turning out 15:1 versus Melbourne supporters the ARU would be derelict in their duty as guardians of the game not to support ACT rugby over Melbourne if it came down to it.

8,000 people is still 8,000 people no percentage can change that, it's the only statistic that matters. This is the shitty thing the same amount of fans are probably missing out in either Vic or wa, neither is more important than the other. Each pays the same amount to play, watch, offer tv viewing figures etc.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Brumbies aren't under financial pressure, and are presently the best performing Aussie team... so, no.
How did they payout the CEO?
When there was all that speculation that they needed to borrow the funds from the ARU, why didn't they scream from the rooftops that there was no shortage of cash?
But if they needed to borrow the $$, that's a symptom of financial pressure...

T

TOCC

Brumbies aren't under financial pressure

1gjdAX7.gif

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Brumbies Financial Issues went away when they hired an ARU man as the new CEO. Using marvellous ARU financial management techniques everything pertaining to past investigations and management was closed and could not be discussed due to legal non-disclosure agreements etc. Thus a new day dawned and it was good and all discussions must speak only of the new day and its greatness and positivity. All naysayers are to F%$#^ off because nothing that may or may not have happened can be discussed and because it can't be discussed it may not have happened any way. Just as the same manager may or may not have been in charge of an investigation when a player may or may not have sent some text messages and a coach and staffer lost their jobs. The only FACT that is now not in dispute is the coach and staffer no longer work for their former employer, why, how and timelines are irrelevant as they happened before another such legal non-disclosure agreement and as such may or may not have happened. Newspeak is alive and well......

So you see nothing to see here, and they are winning the Australian Conference whilst having played 1 NZ side and still only managing a very small positive PD (which is at least positive as opposed to the embarrassing PDs of the rest of the Conference, but I note that this WILL change greatly as they play the NZ sides and they will be as embarrassing as the rest).

Clyde

Stan Wickham (3)
ACT has what population..400k?

They are a small market smack bang in the middle of two major markets. Their junior production is poor, pinching predominantly from other states.

Yes they won comps a decade ago. But time to think with the head and not with the heart when there is so much at stake.

The argument that they get the same size crowd as Rebels proves the point. Even with such fan engagement for a region that small they are just doing ok. While they don't have the potential of the other markets and rely predominantly on QLD/NSW for juniors they should be the ones to go.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
The Brumbies Financial Issues went away when they hired an ARU man as the new CEO. Using marvellous ARU financial management techniques everything pertaining to past investigations and management was closed and could not be discussed due to legal non-disclosure agreements etc. Thus a new day dawned and it was good and all discussions must speak only of the new day and its greatness and positivity. All naysayers are to F%$#^ off because nothing that may or may not have happened can be discussed and because it can't be discussed it may not have happened any way. Just as the same manager may or may not have been in charge of an investigation when a player may or may not have sent some text messages and a coach and staffer lost their jobs. The only FACT that is now not in dispute is the coach and staffer no longer work for their former employer, why, how and timelines are irrelevant as they happened before another such legal non-disclosure agreement and as such may or may not have happened. Newspeak is alive and well..

So you see nothing to see here, and they are winning the Australian Conference whilst having played 1 NZ side and still only managing a very small positive PD (which is at least positive as opposed to the embarrassing PDs of the rest of the Conference, but I note that this WILL change greatly as they play the NZ sides and they will be as embarrassing as the rest).

They've played two kiwi teams.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Outside of Australia Rugby the Brumbies are respected for there high and consistent standards of excellence. Only in the Australia community would anyone be so stupid to suggest they should be cut.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
They've played two kiwi teams.

Oh dear....:rolleyes: that was the central thrust wasn't it.

I do watch the games the Brumbies are just so memorable in their play and no I couldn't tell you what any of the Tahs, Reds or Force scores were either, even though I have watched most games up until last weekend (07/04-09/04) when I watched no Australian side.

Unlike some I can actually be critical in assessment, but some people's sides and management do naught wrong and any injury or misdeed is a conspiracy by the (delete as required) ARU/NSWRU/QRU/Eastern states/Illuminati/Rogue administrators.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Feel free to list all the ACT-raised Wallaby debutants for the last decade.

Sure, off the top of my head..........

Peter Kimlin
Saia Fainga'a
Anthony Fainga'a

Guy Shepherdson just misses out..........*

There's about 10-11 local products in the current Brumbies squad (plus a few others elsewhere), after what was probably a decline in recent years.

I don't particularly take too much stock, as long as we're producing test quality players......... I don't care where they come from although would like to see more locals make the step up.

But the point is you accused the Brumbies of pinching all their talent from Qld/NSW as if the Force or Rebels weren't equally as guilty.

*3/4 of those players helped the Reds win their first Super Rugby title - lousy poachers!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The total inability for so many supposed Rugby supporters to see past their own parochialism for the betterment of the game and its sustainability/long term growth in this country as evidenced by those posting here (because lets face it the posters here are a significant sample size of the Rugby fans left attending and viewing professional games at Super Level), has only reinforced my view that there is no way forward for Rugby with the ARU in charge fixated on Super Rugby as it is and with state/province based RUs looking after their own fiefdoms.

The only way forward IMHO is for Australian Rugby to withdraw from Super Rugby altogether or at least to cut Super Rugby free from the Amateur game altogether. Let both support themselves and when a Pro side wants to sign a player they pay a transfer/signing fee to the amateur club/school the player has played with up to that point.

I am over the petty parochialism, the lack of true accountability, the abject farcical management and declining standards. Wipe the slate clean and start again.

Status
Not open for further replies.