• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clyde

Stan Wickham (3)
Sure, off the top of my head....

Peter Kimlin
Saia Fainga'a
Anthony Fainga'a

Guy Shepherdson just misses out....*

There's about 10-11 local products in the current Brumbies squad (plus a few others elsewhere), after what was probably a decline in recent years.

I don't particularly take too much stock, as long as we're producing test quality players... I don't care where they come from although would like to see more locals make the step up.

But the point is you accused the Brumbies of pinching all their talent from Qld/NSW as if the Force or Rebels weren't equally as guilty.

*3/4 of those players helped the Reds win their first Super Rugby title - lousy poachers!

So three average Wallabies in the last decade while supposedly being a stronghold of Australian rugby. They have been around for ages and if this is their potential then it's not much to stake an argument on.

I never implied the Force and Rebels aren't as guilty(keeping in mind they are much younger clubs with developing junior systems unlike the Brumbies who have peaked). What I said was that the ACT doesn't have the same potential as West Australia and Victoria. That's just demographics.

What are the Brumbies providing Aus rugby besides a coaching system which is transferable, that isn't overshadowed by the potential of the much bigger regions that are on the chopping block?

It sucks any team has to go but the "history" argument doesn't wash when they still aren't contributing and have reached their potential.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unless you of course ignore recent results and local player numbers represented in Australian teams........... are

Which you clearly are as we approach rule 10.

Edit: in regards to potential, you also ignore the fact that the ACT represents a rugby centric region that also extends to southern NSW.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
FFS the slinging in here degenerated quickly since I looked this morning.
I get that one of the arguments is who produces the most local Wallabies ... but why the hell does it matter where they come from? So a lot of the Wallabies that have come through the Brumbies aren't from Canberra ... so what? Imagine if every player stayed in the state they were originally "from". How many current Wallabies wouldn't even get a run because there aren't enough spots on the Reds and Waratahs rosters to allow for them all? I mean NSW and QLD are always complaining that we steal their talent. Henry Speight would be in Fiji as would a number of others. Players who are from South Australia (if there are any) don't even bother trying to be a Wallaby because there is no local franchise to develop you as local talent.
A lot of the players that have come through the Brumbies did so because they weren't wanted by other teams. Was Ben Mowen even a starter for the Tahs before he came to the Brumbies and forced his way into the Wallabies? I'm sure there are others but I'm not going to waste time researching this for the sake of an argument.
How about instead of finding every possible thing you can to put the other teams down and point out how crap everyone but your own team is, why don't you start trying to reinforce all the GOOD things about your own teams. Reading Rebels and Force fans sprout crap about my team makes me feel a lot less sorry for them, but if I hear about all the reasons they deserve to be there (not why another team deserves to leave) then I will be a lot more sympathetic and be much more likely to see things from your perspective.
Not that anyone actually cares what supporters of any other franchise think any more. Like Gnostic said. Parochialism is rife and it is going to be the death of Rugby in Australia.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Unless you of course ignore recent results and local player numbers represented in Australian teams..... are

Which you clearly are as we approach rule 10.

Edit: in regards to potential, you also ignore the fact that the ACT represents a rugby centric region that also extends to southern NSW.
If you're going to quote "Rule 10" it would be better to not edit your post later to add more spice!! ;)
Just sayin'.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
matt giteau was pretty good
Crab.jpg

Reactions: daz

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's a pity all of the franchises didn't sign the alliance agreements to streamline overhead costs, as I would think that would make a pretty big difference to the bottom lines. I assume NZ has a similar structure to this with their central contracting.

.and no one else is going to now after the way the ARU has used it against the force

Indeed. I wonder how much input the ARU had in the coaching appointments for the Force. I am guessing it was quite a lot. Regardless, I am really happy with our current coaching team. There is an edge to our play that I haven't seen since 2014.

Would the Reds have ended up with Richard Graham for as long as they did if someone who wasn't completely fucking mad was in charge of his appointment.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
How about instead of finding every possible thing you can to put the other teams down and point out how crap everyone but your own team is, why don't you start trying to reinforce all the GOOD things about your own teams. Reading Rebels and Force fans sprout crap about my team makes me feel a lot less sorry for them, but if I hear about all the reasons they deserve to be there (not why another team deserves to leave) then I will be a lot more sympathetic and be much more likely to see things from your perspective.
Not that anyone actually cares what supporters of any other franchise think any more. Like Gnostic said. Parochialism is rife and it is going to be the death of Rugby in Australia.
Chucking your toys out of the cot and your team isn't even on the chopping block. Imagine how we Force and Rebels supporters feel.

And it's not parochialism for parochialism sake. We're fighting for our survival. Seems like a few of you would like us to just lay down and die quietly to make you feel better.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
"Wow" at the notion that the Brumbies be on the chopping block.!!!!

They have best setup for identifying and training footballers in Australia - there's no way they should be considered.

There's absolutely no question that they have the worst fans, small market, worst fans, questionable financial position, lack of local players, and the worst fans. But the wallabies would be stuffed if it wasn't for the Brumbies setup.

By the way, they also have the worst fans.

;P

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So three average Wallabies in the last decade while supposedly being a stronghold of Australian rugby. They have been around for ages and if this is their potential then it's not much to stake an argument on.

I never implied the Force and Rebels aren't as guilty(keeping in mind they are much younger clubs with developing junior systems unlike the Brumbies who have peaked). What I said was that the ACT doesn't have the same potential as West Australia and Victoria. That's just demographics.

What are the Brumbies providing Aus rugby besides a coaching system which is transferable, that isn't overshadowed by the potential of the much bigger regions that are on the chopping block?
What is the brumbies coaching system?
Because if you know what it is you need to tell the whole of Australian rugby how they manage to convert so many unwanted players into super rugby or better players.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
"Wow" at the notion that the Brumbies be on the chopping block.!!!!

They have best setup for identifying and training footballers in Australia - there's no way they should be considered.

There's absolutely no question that they have the worst fans, small market, worst fans, questionable financial position, lack of local players, and the worst fans. But the wallabies would be stuffed if it wasn't for the Brumbies setup.

By the way, they also have the worst fans.

;P

You forgot worst stadium in Australia

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Quartet of powerbrokers trying to rescue Western Force from Super Rugby cull - says Pando at the DT

Former ARU chief executive Gary Flowers
Force’s inaugural chief Peter O’Meara
Former ARU and Waratahs director Jon Collins
Ground signage guru Raymond Burke (?)

...Flowers, O’Meara and Collins have all purchased shares in the Own The Force campaign, which insiders say has pledges of $8 million...

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What is the brumbies coaching system?
Because if you know what it is you need to tell the whole of Australian rugby how they manage to convert so many unwanted players into super rugby or better players.
I think it's just the Waugh/Smith scenario.
There are plenty of 50/50 calls in recruiting.
And if I'm a young bloke with ambition,with a Wallaby in front of me at my local franchise.
The Brumbies probably offer more opportunity and probably more money.
Where do I sign?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Quartet of powerbrokers trying to rescue Western Force from Super Rugby cull - says Pando at the DT

Former ARU chief executive Gary Flowers
Force’s inaugural chief Peter O’Meara
Former ARU and Waratahs director Jon Collins
Ground signage guru Raymond Burke (?)

.Flowers, O’Meara and Collins have all purchased shares in the Own The Force campaign, which insiders say has pledges of $8 million.
This is not going to plan!
Starting to feel a twinge of sympathy for Billy P, Why wouldn't the Force just walk away......
Which I think was his plan A.

Edit: Plan B coming soon???

Status
Not open for further replies.