• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
This is not going to plan!
Starting to feel a twinge of sympathy for Billy P, Why wouldn't the Force just walk away..
Which I think was his plan A.

Edit: Plan B coming soon???

There will be blood .......... on the carpet at Rugby HQ, if this keeps up.

Does anyone have mail on Collins (aside from trying to buy the Tahs) and Burke?

O'Meara and Flowers - I can back that ticket.

EDIT - Except, of course for that fuel pill thing from a million years ago. What was that about again?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Quartet of powerbrokers trying to rescue Western Force from Super Rugby cull - says Pando at the DT

Former ARU chief executive Gary Flowers
Force’s inaugural chief Peter O’Meara
Former ARU and Waratahs director Jon Collins
Ground signage guru Raymond Burke (?)

.Flowers, O’Meara and Collins have all purchased shares in the Own The Force campaign, which insiders say has pledges of $8 million.
This is what irritates me more. The ARU should have said to all 5 franchises when it was evident we were in strife, we are in a dire situation and can no longer support 5 teams with the current funding structure. We can only keep 5 if you can build your own income and become self sufficient.
Look at what WA has achieved and no doubt ACT and the Rebels could have done something similar with more time.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
What is the brumbies coaching system?
Because if you know what it is you need to tell the whole of Australian rugby how they manage to convert so many unwanted players into super rugby or better players.
WA was so thankful they took Nick Jooste off our hands. Identifying all our unwanted players.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
So let's link the article;

Quartet of powerbrokers trying to rescue Western Force from Super Rugby cull
JAMIE PANDARAM, The Daily Telegraph
April 17, 2017 5:40pm

A GROUP of heavyweight rugby identities and millionaire businessmen are plotting to save the Western Force from Super Rugby oblivion.
The “big four” behind the campaign can today be revealed by the Daily Telegraph, and include former ARU chief executive Gary Flowers and the Force’s inaugural chief Peter O’Meara.
Alongside them are highly successful businessmen Jon Collins, himself a former ARU and Waratahs director, and ground signage guru Raymond Burke, who has pledged to pump $50 million into the Force over the next 10 years if he can strike a deal with the West Australian government.
Flowers, O’Meara and Collins have all purchased shares in the Own The Force campaign, which insiders say has pledges of $8 million. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/7bc5e655e7838344429755ac87c7dfbd

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
This is not going to plan!
Starting to feel a twinge of sympathy for Billy P, Why wouldn't the Force just walk away..
Which I think was his plan A.

Edit: Plan B coming soon???

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

ttYrDHS.png

o_O

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Interesting you raise this Killer, it took a long time to address and resolve the UK issues for the NAB, post Cameron Clyne

That's interesting, I am not picking on Mr Clyne personally just our habit/culture of putting people in positions of power who have never run a business where their balls and their families livelihood/lifestyle are on the line. And therefore they, imo, do not understand real accountability and how to make timely decisions.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Banking/Financial industry in general has a very great deficit of community trust because even post the Financial Crisis they have not truly reformed. The idea that a successful career in banking prepares somebody for anything except lining their own pockets is a laugh.

Anybody interested in a true appraisal of the Financial sector world wide should just google a few podcasts from Joseph Stiglitz (Former Head of World Bank and Noble winner in Economics).

Is there anybody on the ARU now or in the time of Professionalism that has been part of the governance structure of a successful sporting competition/code? Wouldn't somebody have thought that it might have been a good idea for at least a couple of experienced people instead of employing one's mates and school alumni and a few "token" appointments to demonstrate how progressive they really are.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So let's link the article;

Quartet of powerbrokers trying to rescue Western Force from Super Rugby cull
JAMIE PANDARAM, The Daily Telegraph
April 17, 2017 5:40pm

A GROUP of heavyweight rugby identities and millionaire businessmen are plotting to save the Western Force from Super Rugby oblivion.
The “big four” behind the campaign can today be revealed by the Daily Telegraph, and include former ARU chief executive Gary Flowers and the Force’s inaugural chief Peter O’Meara.
Alongside them are highly successful businessmen Jon Collins, himself a former ARU and Waratahs director, and ground signage guru Raymond Burke, who has pledged to pump $50 million into the Force over the next 10 years if he can strike a deal with the West Australian government.
Flowers, O’Meara and Collins have all purchased shares in the Own The Force campaign, which insiders say has pledges of $8 million. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/7bc5e655e7838344429755ac87c7dfbd

How can they justify cutting the Force when they are fighting tooth and nail to stay alive. That's exactly what we want to see.

L

Leo86

Just throwin it out there.

All of Aus/Super rugby approach this situation as do or die as some clubs have had to, then it puts pressure on ARU/SANZAAR to sort their shit out and do their actual jobs instead of goin down the oh its a financial thing. More money aint gonna make us winners. Structures (players and coaches), growth, making the game appeal to the wider audience and lord forbid promotion.

Peter Fitzsimons in the rugby war quoted Kerry Packer ringing up a commentator bagging cricket and telling him to shut up and sell the game.

Rugby's media, commentators and ex players i call on you, SHARE OUR GAME

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
That's interesting, I am not picking on Mr Clyne personally just our habit/culture of putting people in positions of power who have never run a business where their balls and their families livelihood/lifestyle are on the line. And therefore they, imo, do not understand real accountability and how to make timely decisions.

There's no 'pain money' involve it's always 'OPM' (Other Peoples Money).

Anyway reading between the lines of the article below gives an indication of why there was a change of CEO at NAB and what the incoming CEO was tasked with.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/busines...t/news-story/7410b671d217f3e786a5f7001d8a38a3

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Just throwin it out there.

All of Aus/Super rugby approach this situation as do or die as some clubs have had to, then it puts pressure on ARU/SANZAAR to sort their shit out and do their actual jobs instead of goin down the oh its a financial thing. More money aint gonna make us winners. Structures (players and coaches), growth, making the game appeal to the wider audience and lord forbid promotion.

Peter Fitzsimons in the rugby war quoted Kerry Packer ringing up a commentator bagging cricket and telling him to shut up and sell the game.

Rugby's media, commentators and ex players i call on you, SHARE OUR GAME

P.tah actually posted an interesting poece over on The Roar proposing a Brumbies/Rebels merger. I certainly think either organisation ruling it out would be unfortunate as it would tick a number of boxes for both. Melbourne maintains a presence and a pathway while the Brumbies access a larger market and deeper talent pool. He also suggests looking to bring the likes of Sth Aus and Tas under the Sthern Brumbies banner.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
This is an interesting read if nothing else on strategy. I wonder if anyone was sacked, as I have said elsewhere I bet no boardroom freeloaders lost their job.
Why we put these Corporate types who have been raised in a culture of no accountability on a pedestal amazes me.

https://theconversation.com/national-australia-bank-30-years-of-strategy-failure-55159

For me the worst part about some of these dickless executives and directors is that they tarnish the names of all the really good ones out there. I've spent plenty of time in the corporate world and have met fantastic and feckless executives in equal measure, but I agree with the thrust of your argument. People complain about the compensation levels in a lot of places but let me just say the very good ones are worth multiples of what they're being paid because they have to make up for all the idiot time-servers and beneficiaries of the old boys club (of which rugby is absolutely one).

Status
Not open for further replies.