• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I just want to clear up my since deleted remark directed at you. It wasn't meant in a terse or aggressive manner. More a recognition of your jab with a less than eloquently formed version of 'get lost smart arse'.
Heheh all good. I saw it and didn't worry.

We both know the 'British' style of chat which might be different to here at times - I dunno.

But it's all a bit of fun.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
i know he was randomly mentioned on a different thread the other day but id love to see Opeti Helu back in Aus rugby too

Also wouldn't be against a healthy raid on NRL players with a Union history

Yep I would love to see league targeted for the 'right' sort of players which I agree is more those with past union background.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Yep I would love to see league targeted for the 'right' sort of players which I agree is more those with past union background.

There's very few NRL players you'd even consider that have zero Union experience, My 6 would be:

James Tedesco @Fullback - Just has great raw skill and apparently has a decent boot
Tom Trbojevic @Outside Centre
Clint Gutherson @Fullback/IC - He just looks like he is playing the wrong code in League
Cam Munster @IC
Stephen Crichton @OC/Wing
Ryan Papenhuyzen @ OC/Fullback

Besides that i'd stick to the obvious and safer targets with a Union background - Angus Crichton, Cam Murray etc

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I just want to clear up my since deleted remark directed at you. It wasn't meant in a terse or aggressive manner. More a recognition of your jab with a less than eloquently formed version of 'get lost smart arse'.

f57.jpg

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
There's very few NRL players you'd even consider that have zero Union experience, My 6 would be:

James Tedesco @Fullback - Just has great raw skill and apparently has a decent boot
Clint Gutherson @Fullback/IC - He just looks like he is playing the wrong code in League
Cam Munster @IC

Besides that i'd stick to the obvious and safer targets with a Union background - Angus Crichton, Cam Murray etc

Gutherson and Papenhuyzen both have rugby experience. Gutherson was NSW 1s fullback in 2011. Papenhuyzen went to Oakhill College played ISA rugby.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Gutherson and Papenhuyzen both have rugby experience. Gutherson was NSW 1s fullback in 2011. Papenhuyzen went to Oakhill College played ISA rugby.

oh how goods that! Thanks for the info, i did do a quick google search but i guess the Leaguies like to try bury their dirty union past :p

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
oh how goods that! Thanks for the info, i did do a quick google search but i guess the Leaguies like to try bury their dirty union past :p

tbh gutherson with the whole parra squad is overrated.

Hes the kind of player who looks pretty good at club level, but does not have the size, speed, skill to go next level.

Also I would take cam murray > crichton... though union does favour bigger players over fitter ones... and maybe crichton is a little bit bigger.

There is nothing at all dirty about a league player taking the free union good school scholarship and then going on to making a good life for himself whether it is in league or union. The only things from a league perspective that could be better is:-
- kids still being able to play with their local league club on the weekend. Same would go with cricket and other sports as well tbh
- some of the better schools could do well for there athletes by running a league program.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
There is nothing at all dirty about a league player taking the free union good school scholarship and then going on to making a good life for himself whether it is in league or union. The only things from a league perspective that could be better is:-
- kids still being able to play with their local league club on the weekend. Same would go with cricket and other sports as well tbh
- some of the better schools could do well for there athletes by running a league program.

Thought the emoji was enough to convey it was a tongue in cheek joke.........clearly not

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Cam Munster @IC

IMO Tommy Turbo and Tedesco would both walk into Wallabies 15 pretty quickly. Neither would ever leave league, particularly to go to Perth.

There are enough actual Australian rugby players overseas to put together a competitive Wallaby 15. Just get them back.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
IMO Tommy Turbo and Tedesco would both walk into Wallabies 15 pretty quickly. Neither would ever leave league.

I think Tedesco could be a chance if he got a genuine offer, he's pretty much done everything in League and is still in his prime, doesn't have a family of his own to tie him down etc, trade in Uncle Nick for Uncle Twiggy and we are good to go!

Turbo i acknowledge pretty unlikely but it would probably be better for his body to play union/manly could be in for a few rough years

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think Tedesco could be a chance if he got a genuine offer, he's pretty much done everything in League and is still in his prime, doesn't have a family of his own to tie him down etc, trade in Uncle Nick for Uncle Twiggy and we are good to go!

Turbo i acknowledge pretty unlikely but it would probably be better for his body to play union/manly could be in for a few rough years

Doesnt Tedesco want to play for NZ or was that the other fullback.. whats his name plays for the Warriors.

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)

Cam Munster @IC

Damien Cook and Tyson Frizell might be handy too. I dont watch a lot of League but what I have seen of Cook impressed me: serious acceleration and can pass well both ways. Would be nice at 9.....
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/06...his formative,paths in Illawarra junior footy.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Damien Cook and Tyson Frizell might be handy too. I dont watch a lot of League but what I have seen of Cook impressed me: serious acceleration and can pass well both ways. Would be nice at 9...
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/06/tyson-frizell-damien-cook-go-from-under-7s-and-rugby-hopefuls-to-nsw-state-of-origin-blues-brothers/#:~:text=Tyson Frizell spent his formative,paths in Illawarra junior footy.

Yeah I am surprised more 9s havent been targetted by union.

Cooky is great best nine NSW has had pretty much since I have been watching the game..

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Status
Not open for further replies.