• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
One can only assume, that the new powers have done their research and negotiated the deal with Nine / Stan in full support.

For the sake of rugby, I hope this works. I have my preference for what should happen and its not this. I accept the board would have far more information and detail than me.

If I was guessing, my gut is as others have mentioned, overseas broadcast rights are far more for Super Rugby than for a standalone Australian competition.

I look forward to the Nine / Stan / Fairfax, marketing team promoting the new Super Rugby competition.

My only question, does this deal or will this deal grow rugby or is it designed to pay the bills.

This is also difficult conversation, as can you grow rugby without paying the bills.

For me the skill the board needs to show now is to develop revenue streams that are not broadcast related.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Where does it say only 2 years, I can't find it.

From the Western Force announcement:

"The competition structure for Super Rugby Pacific will be as follows:
  • 18-week competition window from 18 February to 18 June 2022 and 24 February to 24 June 2023"
And: "The new Super Rugby Pacific competition will start on February 18 next year with a 15-week regular season and a refreshed finals format that will stay the same in 2023, according to a statement from New Zealand Rugby (NZR) and Rugby Australia (RA)".

No mention of dates beyond 2023.

Attachments

• 240900072_4340640575974658_5697830530645060678_n.jpg
    240900072_4340640575974658_5697830530645060678_n.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
One can only assume, that the new powers have done their research and negotiated the deal with Nine / Stan in full support.

We don't need to assume, Channel 9 made statement on the competition in the press release..

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
From the Western Force announcement:

"The competition structure for Super Rugby Pacific will be as follows:
  • 18-week competition window from 18 February to 18 June 2022 and 24 February to 24 June 2023"
And: "The new Super Rugby Pacific competition will start on February 18 next year with a 15-week regular season and a refreshed finals format that will stay the same in 2023, according to a statement from New Zealand Rugby (NZR) and Rugby Australia (RA)".

No mention of dates beyond 2023.
Cheers mate, I only read 2022 onwards. I really doubt whether they got a 2 year comp, but maybe anyway . But do think they will be making allowances for a Japan and American team

You know the best thing about it is?? I bravely (read stupidly?) posted on here last couple of weeks I was betting my balls that Super as we knpw it would go head, (and Perth test) so nackers a safe for awhile:cool::cool:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Nice to see it's only a 2 year commitment.

Still particularly interesting to me that despite no longer having a South Africa/Argentina tour each team is still playing 2 fewer games than we did in the 15 team and 18 team models, despite the fact that 2 extra games gives the full sweep of derbies rather than the mix and match rubbish that for some god forsaken reason is returning from the 18 team model.
Think it would work with just one more game to complete a full home and away against all teams from the same country. No need to play either Fiji or Moana Samoa more than once each.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Think it would work with just one more game to complete a full home and away against all teams from the same country. No need to play either Fiji or Moana Samoa more than once each.

So Aus teams play H&A against each other (8) and H or A against everyone else (7). If NZ teams do the same, what do MP (Moana Pasifika) and the Drua do after they've played everyone once? Play each other another 4 times?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
just looking at one of the promotion posters and who was in Moana Pasifika gear?? Looks and awful lot like Josh Ioane!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well, they could certainly play each other once more so they would also have H&A. The other games would be a quandary, perhaps two byes with each counting as a draw. Not likely to affect the finals race unduly.

On reflection, they would really need to be included in the H&A elements of Aus and NZ but those games need not be counted towards the AU or AO championships.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
In terms of scheduling i think we will see the addition of a Sunday game for the 6th match, i think we will see 3 games on Saturday however the 3:30 & 9:30 time slot may alternate night depending on Western Force home games.

Fri: 5:30
Fri: 7:30

Sat: 3:30/9:30 (alternating)
Sat: 5:30
Sat: 7:30

Sun: 3:30

*All times AEST

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I very seriously doubt if there will be 6 matches a weekend 2 teams will have a bye each week. RUPA's and NZRP were all involved in discussions I believe (even Justin Harrison been part of announcement) , and they wouldn't agree to comp with no byes Well I would be VERY surprised if they did.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm not a hundred percent convinced about the new format, but as a fan am prepared to give it a go. My big hope is that the comp will complete uninterrupted and in front of crowds for every game.

The big plus for me is the inclusion of the PI teams. This will be great for the competition and their rugby as well.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I very seriously doubt if there will be 6 matches a weekend 2 teams will have a bye each week. RUPA's and NZRP were all involved in discussions I believe (even Justin Harrison been part of announcement) , and they wouldn't agree to comp with no byes Well I would be VERY surprised if they did.

Why? Because NRZP said so? Some countries have contend to sell and bills to pay..

An 18 week long tournament which includes 14 games and 3 weeks of finals, that tells me there is only 1 bye throughout the season(14+3+1=18). Which means for at least 8 of the regular season rounds, there will be 6 games/weekend..

And sense would probably see a bye split round mid-way, with 3 games per weekend for 2 weeks in the middle of the season and the remainder of the season featuring 6 games per weekend.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It has to be 6 games per weekend if they're going to fit in 91 games in a 18 week period, including a 3 week finals series... Only difference to this is they might spread out some of the buys, however i think the mid season split bye round is the most fair option.

Untitled.jpg

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No not because NZRP say for christ sake, I bet RUPA said so too. I would doubt whether RUPA or any players group will want their members playing every week. Also seems maybe only 2 of 3 extra games are sure to be derby games? Seems it has something to do with where teams ended up in comp year before? Well just what heard on tv news. Shame I like the idea of everyone being able to have a home derby.
I see your idea up there, but can see 6 games early but having byes spread through season.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I never said they have to play every week... but to have 2 teams sitting out every week would be a complete waste of resources, and NZRP need to recognise this, RUPA too..

Status
Not open for further replies.