• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
So if at the end of the current TV rights the Saffers do all head to Europe where to for Australia and NZ. Do we try to go on our own or build something together

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So after allowing all the squads to re-sign players for next year, it's now August and we have a whole squad of players who are without a team............

It's all well and good for the ARU to say that their contracts will be honored, but how is that going to work with all the other teams filling up their squads?

We're going to lose a lot of really good players overseas..........

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So if at the end of the current TV rights the Saffers do all head to Europe where to for Australia and NZ. Do we try to go on our own or build something together

THAT is a Kiwi decision. All we can do is work the B Plan and hold the door open.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So after allowing all the squads to re-sign players for next year, it's now August and we have a whole squad of players who are without a team....

It's all well and good for the ARU to say that their contracts will be honored, but how is that going to work with all the other teams filling up their squads?

We're going to lose a lot of really good players overseas....
Who the fuck knows. Certainly the ARU doesn't.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fully understand Nutter, and like the passion.

I watched the NZ sides this year in SUper more than I did the Australian sides because they played some good rugby. No Australian side played anything more than a 50 minute game this year, and that wasn't a complete rugby performance with so many glaring holes in skills.

I have gone back to Club Rugby for my weekly fix of decent rugby and it has been good. Super Rugby regardless of how many teams are involved is rubbish in Australia, the teams have under performed badly, all of them, some like the Tahs with less excuse than others, but nobody has any excuses for the prolonged rubbish they have served up, and no one season performances after which they believe their own hype are just not good enough to sustain the levels of expenditure the players, administrators and hangers on expect.

I do not gloat at all, but this situation has been coming for years, it is just the Force who have seen the axe fall first. The ARU would try to sell you the proverbial pig in a poke and tell you now that Rugby will be sustainable in Australia, but they have not addressed the core issues ever, or even acknowledged the existence. Will cutting the Force improve the sustainability of the Tahs, Reds, Brumbies or especially the Rebels? Of course not, but lets kick the can down the road a bit further and milk those last drops from the cow as she bleats her last.

We still have four unsustainable sides in a competition that has a serious disconnect with the fan base.

It's rare that I agree with Gnostic :) but was nodding through that post. I'm a rugby tragic. Since super rugby started way back when I've rarely missed any games. But over the past 2-3 seasons have watched less of the Aussie derbies. It's been tough to see things go down this spiral. But there was an air of inevitability about all this. I remember talking to my old man a decade ago and he asked me if I thought the Force would survive. I thought it was a strange question at the time given their relative infancy. But he thought they would be pushing it up hill way back then in what is a crowded Australian sports market when rugby plays way down the fiddle. Fast forward 5 years and he was genuinely shocked when the Rebels were announced.

For what it's worth I've reconnected with club rugby here in Melbourne which has been good. The passion from the weekend warriors has always been something I've loved about club rugga.

I hope for better quality rugby play and a sustainable product where quality coaching and administration can flourish.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It does NOT matter if the cut players are supported. It's basic math. We have a 5 squads of players to fit into 4 squads. One squad worth loses. You'd have to be a donkey to think that Europe is not a winner here.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
So after allowing all the squads to re-sign players for next year, it's now August and we have a whole squad of players who are without a team....

Wasn't there an article yesterday about one of the Force fatties signing with the Rebels?

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
The other nations will be sitting back thinking you farken bewdy ARU has culled 1/5th of profesionals from potential wallaby spots. Considering World Cup is only 24 months away things are not going to look good for the Wallabies. Bunch of dumbasses!!!

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Clynes comments on:
http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/08/11/17/40/aru-chief-bill-pulver-to-step-down
are sickening in the extreme:
In part, he says: "ARU chairman Cameron Clyne said Pulver had been unfairly targeted by critics of the decision to cut a side and the protracted process, with the body announcing April it would make a call on whether the Force or Melbourne Rebels would be cut "within 48 to 72 hours".
"It's fashionable to blame Bill for everything that goes wrong in Australian Rugby," said Clyne.
"Bill has copped an incredible amount of unfair personal criticism ... but has never shirked from that.
"He has always represented the game extremely well and he should be very proud of that and the service he's given the game."
Clyne said Pulver had been hamstrung by the multiple layers of governance in the game and that it was sad that rugby "turns on its own" more than any other sport.
The chairman said Pulver had made significant advancements during his time in the role.
"I think the advancements in the game under Bill's watch have been extraordinary."
In response:
Pulver was the architect of the plan to cut a side that dragged on from the start of April to the middle of August.
It is not fashionable to blame Bill for everything that goes wrong in Australian Rugby, it is what it is - he orchestrated the sale of Melbourne Rebels to Cox and paid him an extra $6 million to (mis)manage the franchise and now the WF have to be axed because the ARU can't afford to fund five sides.
He has constantly shirked from the personal criticism that's why he earned the nick name Marcel Marceau and Clyne has been on the front foot for the last month.
He has not presented the game very well - these are empty words which my rhetoric teacher once said should be backed up with examples if I were to convince any reasonable person of their worth. On that note, could the Chairman please provide examples of the extraordinary advancements in the game under Bill's watch?Because from where I sit, the game has gone backwards - some observers have commented that the rest of the world have tried to destroy Australian Rugby for the past one hundred years, and Bill has destroyed it in just two years.
Anywho, whose for another glass of grange?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Whatever we do can we please do it without the ARU. Maybe we could send the ARU to grow the game in Tasmania and keep them out of harms way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Eh? Not sure what you're on about there.

Really?

A poster is concerned about what roughly 45 players do with their lives now.
You respond with, hey one got a job.

Work the rest out yourself, but it's possibly not the best taste for an AB supporter to be posting like this right now.

T

TOCC

How's it going to work with that cost cutting model of theirs

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
This decision, while it was always going to be, is a disgrace. The Force is exactly the sort of team we need, one that develops strong parochial support!
Name a solitary advance the game has made under Pulver? I have played golf with Bill, he's a nice bloke, but if there was ever someone totally out of depth in his job, he's the man! At no stage did he really understand the challenges he faced, and as a result has failed monumentally.
I will still follow rugby, and go to matches, and I remain the eternal optimist, that someone will have the nous and the balls to turn this thing around. I refuse to admit the game is going to die, and refuse to walk away and submit to the blunders of the current ruling body. It's when your down that you find out who are your true friends, and Australian Rugby needs it's true friends now!

Status
Not open for further replies.