• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Why is Tom Carter unpickable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't know whether this year is the right year to do it but I certainly can't see any reason for TC not to be picked at least as part of an A side, like on last year's EOYT, for example. His defence is among the very best and the rest of his stats certainly aren't bad. He might not be the best distributor but is this reason enough to let him slide completely?

I guess his real burst of form has been this year after a solid few years beforehand, and before that he was hamstrung by injury for the best part of a year IIRC. Having met the bloke I can say that he seems to be genuine and nothing like what his on-field persona gets portrayed as on here.

Btw, does anyone else think he would walk into any NH squad as a 12?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't know whether this year is the right year to do it but I certainly can't see any reason for TC not to be picked at least as part of an A side, like on last year's EOYT, for example. His defence is among the very best and the rest of his stats certainly aren't bad. He might not be the best distributor but is this reason enough to let him slide completely?

He is so very, very slow. And distribution is a fairly major issue, given none of the leading candidates for centre exactly light up the game with their passing. Would absolutely cripple our backline.

G

gladiator

I'd like to know if he makes any kiwis or saffers nervous when he gets the ball. I'm betting he doesn't. That's what it takes at international level.

could this be the reason why his tackling stats is so high , players like running at him coz he's not a BIG HITTER , it's not like , you look up and you see a bull charging towards you , and by the time you realize it's cliffy palu , you have lost the ball ............back to tommy , yeah he can hug you around the waist and peacefully perform the walts before putting you down gracefully , this could be another reason why he's hardly injured himself ( more game time then any other centre ), yes , he's got the skill to tackle you , but doesnt have the firepower to wet your pants , or in other words , the firepower to turn defence into offence , no real threat to make you think twice about running at him , like people have mention , he come's across as a clown , and maybe this is the message that robbie deans is getting from him . on a personal note , i dont dislike Tom Carter in anyway , just not a fan of his game .

personally , i would like to see pat maccabe trialled at inside centre .

G

gladiator

Wouldn't that propel him forward, making him faster?

why would it propel him foward , when the wind is blowing against him while he's running . try putting your head out the window while your driving and your'll see what i mean .

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It all depends on the conditions. Put him out there on a day with a healthy tailwind and watch him wreak havoc.

T

Tahfan

While I am a self confessed Carter fan I dont see him in the mix for this years squad. If he hasn't got a run by now he is not going to IMO. Bruce's stats show it all about why he should be there no need to add anything to that.

The rubbish that every single player in the backline needs x factor is seriously short sighted. You need players to do the hard yards break the gain line and be a right bugger to get past in defence, if you have Genia, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale you dont need another trickster. Carter brings all that to the party. I will agree that he lacks pace but Nonu and Umaga were never the quickest and Gordon Darcy is not going to push Usain Bolt either, his passing game does appear to still need some work though and there is not a lot of getting away with that. I remember Kafe highlighting it on the Rugby Club early in the year and it does not seem to have been addressed yet, but then again Hickey has the Tahs so afraid to play that you wonder if it is coaching?

FWIW I'm not sure Fainga'a will get a go either although he also should be in the mix. think Deans more or less has his mind made up on who he is taking and AF has also left his run a little late. It would be worth a look at both of them over the winter though as you know what JOC (James O'Connor), AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and the rest will bring.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I would argue that we do have those no-nonsense players in the backline, like Barnes and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the last couple of tests last year. It's OK to have honest toilers, but you can't have plodders at test level. Do we really think that Carter is a better player than McCabe or Ant? They are the blokes he would be competing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.