• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Winter Tour; Wallabies v France Wednesday 7 July, Brisbane

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Which backrower comes off? Philip for Swain, Wilson for Naisarani?

I wonder about Philip & Hooper’s 80 minute fitness after their season away from chasing Damien McKenzie.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Can't see Hooper coming off. Wilson you'd think.

Maybe he's planning on rotating the halves next match and we'll see McDermott and JOC (James O'Connor) starting together.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I’m feeling confident and thinking this will be our biggest win with us having the more settled team. 10+

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Can't see Hooper coming off. Wilson you'd think.

Maybe he's planning on rotating the halves next match and we'll see McDermott and JOC (James O'Connor) starting together.

I'd have thought that if JOC (James O'Connor) was available for Test #2 he'd be available here. Rotation could be Tate-To'omua or Tate-Hodge (yikes)?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Willson or Valetini. Likely Wilson he tends to come off for the Reds, but with a big lack of locks and a glut of back rowers, I think there is a non-zero chance both Isi and Swain play lock (or Wilson/Valetini move up into the second row).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hooper certainly hasn't been an 80 minute player over in Japan due to the international rules but it's hard to imagine he's not still incredibly fit.

With no reserve 7 the plan will certainly be for him to play 80.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Gordon missed a substantial chunk of the season with injury but has been pretty excellent otherwise.

I don't think you can reasonably say his form doesn't make him deserving of selection. If Rennie had him as second choice last year behind White I don't think there's any reason why his view would have changed based on this season.

Just for balance, Jake missed some tackles in those last couple of games. His defence on occasions was as poor as Nawaqanitawasi's. I reckon Tate can count himself extremely unlucky if he misses the starting side.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Couple of comments from Rennie:
  • O'Connor didn't respond to treatment as quickly as hoped so wasn't considered for this Test
  • Hodge short of match fitness
  • Gordon picked on his core skills but expects McDermott to be good against a tiring pack with his pace

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Gordon isn't the conservative box-kicking machine that people are alluding to here. He made his career as a ball- running scrum-half since he first arrived from club land and still shows that in the rare instances he's behind a pack with any kind of ascendancy.

Not sure I'd agree about Gordon e-man. Tate is a better ball runner than Jake. I reckon Jake's strength is his support play.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Which backrower comes off? Philip for Swain, Wilson for Naisarani?

I wonder about Philip & Hooper’s 80 minute fitness after their season away from chasing Damien McKenzie.
I’d guess that Rennie tells Valentini to go pedal to the metal for 60 and then throws Isi in to finish off.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
The annoying thing with Hodge is he's not match fit, but also not in the 23.

I think (hope) we'll have JOC (James O'Connor) & Tate starting game 2.

I expect it'll be Wilson who goes pedal to the metal, as he normally doesn't go the full 80, but Rob does sometimes disappear so could go either way.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Not sure I'd agree about Gordon e-man. Tate is a better ball runner than Jake. I reckon Jake's strength is his support play.

Agreed - I'm not suggesting he's as dynamic or dangerous as Tate but he's not just a pass/ box-kick robot either.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
He is a plodder but imo a lot more deserving of 100 tests than the other.

Hodge has his purpose but ideally you'd never want him starting in a Wallabies side.

A good metric for the improvement of Australian rugby would actually be how regularly we aren't forced to select him!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
On Hodge, his Wallaby future probably rests on how well Kellaway goes. Kellaway has the all round, versatile game to challenge Reece for the No 23 spot, and is probably a more skillful player.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
On Hodge, his Wallaby future probably rests on how well Kellaway goes. Kellaway has the all round, versatile game to challenge Reece for the No 23 spot, and is probably a more skillful player.
Given Banks hasn’t really nailed down the 15 jersey, I’m wondering if it’s actually his spot he’s challenging for, not Hodge’s.