• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Winter Tour; Wallabies v France Wednesday 7 July, Brisbane

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
1 Slipper - probably had the best of Bemba but didn't show enough consistent accuracy
2 BPA - got a meat pie but fluffed a lineout throw in another critical position (22m) right on halftime
3 AAA - did the meat and potatoes, got a couple of runs in
4 Philip - part of a dominant set piece but wasn't carrying like last year
5 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) - didn't do anything stupid which was a start, and yeah set piece, but looked after by the defence
6 Valetini - I thought he was a bit quiet compared to his form in SRTT. Still finding feet with the back row combination
7 Hooper - a couple of good decisions at the ruck and maul, and a smart try, but I thought we could have taken 3 earlier than the 30th minute and asked the ref to hand out the cheese
8 Wilson - solid shift without being spectacular - a bit like Valetini, really. Has good instincts but our forwards in general were a bit ponderous. That early scrum where he lost control was a bit of a black mark - he or Gordon should have picked up as it was unstable.
9 Gordon - steppy-steppy-passy is not as good as just pass-from-base. Combinations again
10 Lolesio - nailed a couple of important kicks but hardly driving the team around. Got some slow ball but also gave some slow ball
11 Koroibete - beast. Thought some of his runs were too lateral but he hit blokes hard and loves a pick n go
12 To'omua - bit of a handbrake on that backline. His confidence looks shot and his decision timing is too early or too late
13 Paisami - rocks and diamonds - great kick through when half our backs joined a stationary maul :rolleyes: but the crossfield and late kicks? Yeesh... Handling in contact wasn't the best.
14 Wright - always thinks it's "on", even when it is decidedly "not". He could be world class with all that talent, if it wasn't anchored to a questionable decision-making cortex. Fluffed a pretty basic try on the kick through, and threw a bullet switch pass to Paisami's head.
15 Banks - superb under the high ball. Too greedy with an early touch finder and fluffed a fairly simple midfield bomb into touch on the full. Dangerous on the kick return even if our ruck work didn't back him up. I'm not sure whether he's the fullback we need, or the bench player for back 3.

16 Lonergan - he looks tiny out there, but gives it everything. Fluffed an early throw but recovered to help get us possession in position
17 Bell - came on and did the work. A good tackle
18 Tupou - Three scrum penalties out of 5 scrums and gave away a short arm for early engage. Beast run at the end.
19 Swain - great presence at lineout time. Not quite ready to start I don't think, but our scrum certainly didn't suffer with him out there
20 Naisarani - provided a threat with ball in hand over the gain line but was looked after well by France's D line.
21 Tate - critical plays at the end but still not convinced about his passing as a starter. Lolesio's second dropgoal attempt showed what I mean.
22 Ikitau - did he get on?
23 Kellaway - he's a smarter footballer after his stint overseas, and could probably come into the starting lineup. Could have had a meat pie on debut if that kick was even 5% better.

Good bits: composure, goal kicking, set piece, bench impact.
Work-ons: ruck time, midfield passing, attack narrow early, defend wider early.

As I said above: wouldn't change anything for game 2, but would be tempted to make changes earlier if things don't markedly improve next Tuesday. Off the top of my head, pulling To'omua earlier and bringing Paisami to 12 with Ikitau would be a good move to change the dynamics of the backline.

France did us hard at the ruck generally speaking, and that was in part because our wide-early plan was hampered by slow ball going to channel 2 or 3 and a rush defence with pace. If we muscle up early in close then we take that away from them and piggy back up the field on penalties.

Similarly, our defense was way too narrow in the first 15 minutes allowing France's faster backline to create holes.

After we woke up, things were OK except for the basic errors that have plagued Australian Rugby the last decade. Some very loose carries.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, if they can't nail that metric, what good are they?

Not like it was stolen either - crooked in that it was straight down our line.

Lonergan had a couple of poor early games with his throwing at SRAu from memory, but fixed it.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
Yeah that cross field kick from Hunter had me throwing things at the TV

If that was B Barrett kicking for Clarke and ended up with the same result then how would you feel?
Realistically this team need time to form combinations.
The 2 french tries resulted from poor defensive reads that will ( should ) be fixed before the next test.
Other errors highlighted the lack of matchplay and lack of combination in this team.
Valentini seemed to be playing a role that he was getting familiar with. Hard to judge him on a first up start and with new and differing responsibilities to those he has at the Brumbies.

Reactions: TSR

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I do wonder if Koroibete was under orders to come back to the centre on kick return, he is usually likely to attack the edges

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
It's hard to know what to do with the next game, the French have stated they are going to save their strongest team for the last game, so do we double down for the next game to try to win the series now, and then potentially lose the third game with a lesser team, or roll with them for this game. I'd probably go the latter option, but I wouldn't make wholesale changes, just give most of the returning injured players the extra time for the third game. As a start I'd probably switch the bench from last night into the starting lineup, and have Hooper on the bench but only use him sparingly if at all:

1. Bell
2. Lonergan
3. Tupou
4. Swain
5. Philip
6. Valetini
7. McReight
8. Naisarani
9. McDermott
10. Lolesio
11. Kellaway
12. Foketi
13. Ikitau
14. Wright
15. Banks

16. BPA
17. Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20. Hooper
21. Gordon
22. To'omua
23. Hodge

And who would captain this lot?

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
The most concerning thing is if White is fit for game 2 , Gordon goes to bench and Tate
Watches the game from the stands.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The most concerning thing is if White is fit for game 2 , Gordon goes to bench and Tate
Watches the game from the stands.

I can't see how Gordon is preferred as the impact player of Tate. So much more dynamic

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
If that was B Barrett kicking for Clarke and ended up with the same result then how would you feel?
Realistically this team need time to form combinations.
The 2 french tries resulted from poor defensive reads that will ( should ) be fixed before the next test.
Other errors highlighted the lack of matchplay and lack of combination in this team.
Valentini seemed to be playing a role that he was getting familiar with. Hard to judge him on a first up start and with new and differing responsibilities to those he has at the Brumbies.

Two issues with that: Hunter is not at the level of BBarrett yet and neither is Kellaway at Clarke's level. The main issue, however, is that you're inside 10 minutes to go, you're chasing the game, you're in a good attacking position approaching the opposition 22 and against a defence that hasn't come up together in a line. The percentage option would have been to go through the hands. Kellaway likely gets the ball anyway and probably doesn't score, but with the run of play we may have done a couple of phases later. A hail-mary kick pass is not the smartest footy at that point in the game. In the 30th minute no problem.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t think it was a hail-mary kick-pass, I think it’s something they’ve trained it just missed the mark

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
The concerning thing is that no matter how many times it has been mentioned that White is out until Bledisloe / RC you are trying to make this non-point.

Fair enough, to be honest I didn’t know white was out for that long.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Poor defensive reads in the backline are semi-understandable with a bunch of players that haven't had much time together.

In the forwards, you just grab the guy running directly at you and fall over.

In the backline you have to learn how fast the guy next to you can move laterally and the decisions they typically make when reading the game themselves, and then develop trust in him to be consistent in these decisions.

With Noah / To'omua / Paisami / Wright / Koroibete, almost everyone has a stranger next to them.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don’t think it was a hail-mary kick-pass, I think it’s something they’ve trained it just missed the mark

It's as much about the context of the game than anything. A tight test match, that you're behind in and the clock is ticking down rapidly, normally calls for cool heads and good option taking. It seems like a low percentage play to be attempting under the circumstances to me.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It's as much about the context of the game than anything. A tight test match, that you're behind in and the clock is ticking down rapidly, normally calls for cool heads and good option taking. It seems like a low percentage play to be attempting under the circumstances to me.

Its the type of move I feel like they should have done earlier to break the French resistance. The frogs were quite happy to keep trading penalty goals with us, keeping their lead intact. Throughout the later parts of the game I had the feeling that once Australia took the lead, the air would go out of the Blue balloon.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah as I said upthread, earlier in the game you could defend the decision and I agree that it might have had a psychological effect on the French.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Worth having someone who is going to roll the dice. His crossfield kick was the wrong option but his grubber was perfect and should've resulted in a try.

He could vary it up a bit by distributing more when on attack, though.

Was that the one done under advantage when the "playmakers" inside failed to achieve anything? Thought is was a fine option.