• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Winter Tour; Wallabies v France Wednesday 7 July, Brisbane

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was that the one done under advantage when the "playmakers" inside failed to achieve anything? Thought is was a fine option.

Nah, it was the one when we didn't have any advantage and the French defenders were still retreating to come back onside.........

Edit: we could be discussing different incidents though.

Reactions: dru

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's as much about the context of the game than anything. A tight test match, that you're behind in and the clock is ticking down rapidly, normally calls for cool heads and good option taking. It seems like a low percentage play to be attempting under the circumstances to me.

It was penalty advantage though, and executing it correctly would have resulted in a try. I think that is a reasonable option.

My issue with it was more that the kick could have gone anywhere in behind the French and a try should have resulted. He didn't need to go for the kick pass which is much harder to execute.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Biggest concern for me was our inability to build any phase pressure in the first half. The ball either got kicked away early or our attacking rucks were hampered by poor clean out accuracy compounded by slow delivery from Gordon. It equated to very little pressure or questions being asked of the French defence.

The communication/understanding between 9&10 was poor, multiple times plays were slowed down because players were either out of position or didn't know what was next up. Not good enough at Test level.

Big positive is they stayed in the fight and somehow managed a win despite being below par some some fundamental aspects of the game. Now they just need fix those aspects, they hopefully can only get better.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Paisami did okay to get over the advantage line but he often chewed up all the space on his outside in doing so. We also went quite lateral generally and the straighter runs from To'omua didn't really get us over the gain line.

That backline is really missing a bigger body to run the old TK line.

Australia ran 366m for France's 210m

Banks 7 runs for 56m
Wright 4 runs for 18m
Paisami 9 runs for 63m
Koroibete 17 runs for 68m

Given that Lolesio was not employed in that area I'm not sure it's the biggest priority - though To'omua did little.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It was penalty advantage though, and executing it correctly would have resulted in a try. I think that is a reasonable option.

My issue with it was more that the kick could have gone anywhere in behind the French and a try should have resulted. He didn't need to go for the kick pass which is much harder to execute.

Was it? I'd have to watch the game again, because I don't recall the advantage call being made. If it was indeed under advantage then go your hardest and I apologise profusely for the criticism. I agree on the kick in behind being the better option if you're going to use the boot. Find some grass and Kellaway probably has the gas and the momentum to pick it up.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Was it? I'd have to watch the game again, because I don't recall the advantage call being made. If it was indeed under advantage then go your hardest and I apologise profusely for the criticism. I agree on the kick in behind being the better option if you're going to use the boot. Find some grass and Kellaway probably has the gas and the momentum to pick it up.

I think the kick to Kellaway wasn't under advantage.

Sorry, I got that completely wrong. It wasn't under penalty advantage.

I take back everything I said. It wasn't the right option because it was pretty low percentage.

He had two defenders tracking him with Naisarani just outside him. If he'd drawn those two defenders and popped to Isi, he would have carried to very close to the line at least.

A retreating French defender blocked us going through the hands (Naisarani, Banks and Kellaway).

It's at the 77 minute mark.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Thought I was going mad there for a moment. In any case, good option taking under pressure is what we should be aiming for and this wasn't an example of it!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
With White definitely not available it would not surprise to see the 2 halfbacks roles reversed and maybe even Lornegan coming in. It’s unlikely that they both will play all 3 tests.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Australia ran 366m for France's 210m

Banks 7 runs for 56m
Wright 4 runs for 18m
Paisami 9 runs for 63m
Koroibete 17 runs for 68m

Given that Lolesio was not employed in that area I'm not sure it's the biggest priority - though To'omua did little.

These stats are misleading. Both Banks and MK would have made the majority of their meters on kick return/kickoff returns.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Was that the one done under advantage when the "playmakers" inside failed to achieve anything? Thought is was a fine option.

No advantage and there was a broken defensive line in front of him. Definitely the wrong option.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
These stats are misleading. Both Banks and MK would have made the majority of their meters on kick return/kickoff returns.

Not convinced on that Derpus - team v team run m suggests that perhaps one team had a problem making distance - not the Wallabies though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not convinced on that Derpus - team v team run m suggests that perhaps one team had a problem making distance - not the Wallabies though.

Fair enough. Agree to disagree. I think we would be well served with a bigger body hitting the unders line on first phase ball rather than shifting it wide straight away.

We look at lot more composed in attack when we can play off that ball. Wright did it for the Paisami non-try. Hit the line and made ground which forced the French D to have to realign whilst also allowing Gordon to shift the ball to Paisami quickly.

Better than just shifting it wide and relying on Paisami to make shit happen against two defenders.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
So observations
Front row:
Slipper was actually pretty quiet outside of the scrum, but he's cooked and will need a rest for game 2.

BPA was exceptional 9/9 tackles, rock solid at scrum time and very good in the lineout bar one overthrow (I felt like maybe tired lifers), and a nice rumble over the line.
AAAAA was 'fine' but Tupou just changed the game, probably the best 3 in the world (maybe he should consider moving back to #1).

Second Row:
Phillip was fine. 3 tackles and 3 misses (50%) is worrying. 2.4m per run from 5 runs and two passes. The lineout functioned fairly well bar one miss.
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was again fine. 4 from 4 tackles, 6 runs and 6 passes so he was active. (I at least felt like LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was very impactful in the mauls.)

Back Row:

Valetini was perhas poor to average. 4 and 1 miss tackle; 2 turnovers. 2.5 meters per run off 13 runs & 6 passes, with 2 off-loads. So he was busy but didn't have that BIG impact we hopped to see from him.

Hooper was quite good, obviously scoring a try (50/50 on if it was really a try or not, it's probably a penalty). 6 tackles with 1 miss, 1 penalty. 8 Runs, 5 passes @ around a meter per run.

Wilson was probably the pick of the bunch for the back row. 11 tackles, with 1 miss and a turnover. He had 10 runs for 2.5 meters per run, with 3 passes, 1 defender beaten and an offload.

Halves:

Gordon was poor, perhaps he was average, but we've gotta judge him by Tate and Tte was AWESOME! The numbers don't tell the story here. Tate is just too good.

Lolo was fine but probably not yet the heir apparent we thought he was, perhaps one of the Harrison/Donaldson/Kuenzle will step up, or Lolo can step it up.

Centres:

To'omua was hot garbage, he just looked so slow, his play making was poor, the play just died with him any time he touched the ball. This then forced Hunter Paisami to try to do a lot more. Only 4 tackles and missed 2. 5 runs and 13 passes and 1 offload.

Paisami was good over played his hand largely because he was forced to by Lolo & To'omua not doing too much. He has a major impact with 9 runs making 7 meters per run, 4 defenders beaten and 4 passes. He only made one tackle and gave away 3 turn overs (again likely because he was forced to overplay his hand). But he showed some amazing touches, an incredible kicking game, but again over played his hand on a number of occasions.

Back 3:
Koro was immense, 1 tackle 3 misses isn’t good. But 17 runs over 4 meters per run is very respectable. 4 defenders beaten, and 3 passes. He just injected himself so much and was so dominant going into contact.

Wright was very lack lustre. Only 2 tackles, gave away possession twice. Only 4 runs for 18 meters a few handling errors, butchered a brilliantly created try from Hunter.

Banks was similar to Wright. Perhaps saved by his kicking game, but he had some critical handling errors. More meters than Wright, 56 from 7 runs (8 per run) but is likely boosted by a lot of kick return meters and a clean break.

The Bench:
The reserve front row (Tupou) was immense.
The other reserve forwards, were pretty good.
The reserve backs didn’t have a major impact.
Tate & ‘Nella would have been best on ground had they played 80.
Tupou had 4 runs for 24 meters (6m per run), a pass and offload, 3 defenders beaten, and a clean break. DOMINATED the scrum and just completely changed the game.
Tate had 24 passes, 4 runs for 25m (6m per), a defender beaten and an offload, and perhaps changed the game even more than Tupou when he came on!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I didn't mind Valetini's game. He was still going hard in the final minutes, and despite a few mistakes he's definitely worth persisting with. Clearly a tactic to have him roaming in the wider channels so I can't be too annoyed with his slightly lower work rate.

I do like the balance of Valetini/Hooper/Wilson, and think it could take us to the World Cup if we give it time.