• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Wallaroos v Scotland

I watched the first half yesterday before heading to Presentation Night, then the second half this morning.

Wallaroos discipline is, frankly, awful. I'm not talking high tackles - I'm talking silly penalties to give away field position. The late hit by one of our forwards on their 9. The repeated maul penalties. Parry on the deck holding a player by the ankle, right in front of the ref.

This is really basic stuff. You can't blame amateur status for not knowing the Laws and the right time to concede versus contest.

The skills are OK for a team that isn't full time, but there is still a bit of play that reflects the small pool of players we have e.g. we made the break late in the second half, and Pomare doesn't offload inside to Duck. She gets tackled and pops to Piliae-Rasabale but Pomare is on the deck at that point and the movement dies. If she offloads to Duck inside, and stays alive with PPR, that's a try under the posts and a 9-point win.

Why it is a problem: players are still a bit individualistic; they're used to being far and away the best on the park at club level, and don't rethink some of that play at Test level.

As for the red cards, the Aussie camp should be ruling that both of them are thrown out on the following basis:

Marsters' was completely incorrect; the definition of "direct" is not even up for debate here. That was head into shoulder, sliding up.

If that red card doesn't happen, Talakai - whose tackle was admittedly juvenile - doesn't come back on, and doesn't get a second yellow card.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I have also made up my mind about Batibasaga: she steps too much before passing at the base of the ruck, mostly when passing to her right. This is putting our backline under pressure and stunting any momentum we try to build.

I think we need to put Morgan in to start against Wales.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well 56-12 to Black Ferns, so Wallabies only need to beat Wales to make QFs. That was a bit of a hiding in the end, Welsh had a bloody good set piece, but certainly struggled with pace and passing out wide.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In the men's game when you get turnover ball inside your 22 you exit but BF chose to run it L-R then R-L then L-R again. Lost it twice but regained on both occasions for a 70m, ball-in-hand net gain. Had me speaking calmly at the TV "someone needs to put a stop to this nonsense by hoofing it, use the wind blah blah blah". Try on the end of it, too, so wtf do I know about the women's game?

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
In the men's game when you get turnover ball inside your 22 you exit but BF chose to run it L-R then R-L then L-R again. Lost it twice but regained on both occasions for a 70m, ball-in-hand net gain. Had me speaking calmly at the TV "someone needs to put a stop to this nonsense by hoofing it, use the wind blah blah blah". Try on the end of it, too, so wtf do I know about the women's game?
Geez may well of been very very similar comments yelled at tv in this house to WOB!! :D

ronald edwards

Frank Row (1)
just relax mate.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jeez if you need a reason to be a bit ticked off at the inconsistency of the officials, look at first minute of England V France - white 14 shoulder looks to take Blue 7 in the head. No mitigation that I can see.

Not even a cursory glance from the box

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Women's 'World cup' - where semi-pros and fullblown amateurs get to play fully professional teams.

How are our women not paid properly yet?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fiji 21-17 South Africa

Pool A
1. NZ 10 points
2. Australia 4
3. Wales 4
4. Scotland 2

Australia v Wales & NZ v Scotland in Whangarei on 22/10

Pool B
1. Canada 10
2. Italy 5
3. USA 5
4. Japan 0

Italy v Japan & Canada v USA in Waitakare 23/10

Pool C
1. England 9
2. France 6
3. Fiji 4
4. SA 1

France v Fiji in Whangarei 22/10, England v SA in Waitakare 23/10

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Quite a big result Fijians beating SA. Don't think many saw that coming.

I thought it was a 50/50 game leading in. Boths sides have decent size and power, but I'd say the Fijians edge it for skill, even if the risk-reward sometimes doesn't pay off.

Fiji could have dominated that game with less handling errors, but I thought it was a good watch.

Given some more time and investment, South Africa could push toward the top tier. They've got the physical attributes and just need to add the fitness and depth. Their 12 and 8 are sticking their hands up for team of the tournament.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Women's 'World cup' - where semi-pros and fullblown amateurs get to play fully professional teams.

How are our women not paid properly yet?

Because it isn't taken seriously enough. The ruck accuracy is where you see if a team is getting good minutes at club/provincial level - even refereeing full amateur games in 7s, you can tell who has a good coaching program behind them in the seconds spent at ruck time.

France v England was another level as an example.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pool winners: New Zealand, Canada, England
Pool runners-up: Wales, Italy, France
2 x Qualifiers: USA, Australia

The only thing getting the Wallaroos to the next stage is the absolute thumpings Fiji and SA get at the hands of the professionals.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pool winners: New Zealand, Canada, England
Pool runners-up: Wales, Italy, France
2 x Qualifiers: USA, Australia

The only thing getting the Wallaroos to the next stage is the absolute thumpings Fiji and SA get at the hands of the professionals.

All about seeding, which is ridiculous to do now, so let's do it!

1 NZL (10 pnts and 68 F&A)
2 CAN (10 and 46)
3 ENG (9 and 71)

4 FRA (6 and 29)
5 ITY (5 and 2)
6 AUS (4 and -22)

7 USA (5 and 1)
8 WAL (4 and -41)

Meaning QFs, as it stands now, are:

NZL v WAL
CAN v USA
ENG v AUS
FRA v ITY

Australia will want to get away from England...I think that will basically come down to USA beating Canada.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Australia will want to get away from England...I think that will basically come down to USA beating Canada.
Australia will want to get away from England, France and NZ. Is that even possible?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

1 NZL (10 pnts and 68 F&A)
2 CAN (10 and 46)
3 ENG (9 and 71)

4 FRA (6 and 29)
5 ITY (5 and 2)
6 AUS (4 and -22)

7 USA (5 and 1)
8 WAL (4 and -41)

Meaning QFs, as it stands now, are:

NZL v WAL
CAN v USA
ENG v AUS
FRA v ITY

The red roses should rack up 100 on rsa this week

Status
Not open for further replies.