• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
^ if there is now a no naming policy perhaps you should edit your original post to remove the name of McVeigh

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Re : Beast and the following comment from Lion in his original post

The tight head would be the best scrummager for his age in the state He has a great work rate but isnt a big ball runner

Nonsense.

Part of the reason in the derivation of his nickname given to him by his teammates has been tied to his ability to carry the ball at a very impactful level - think MCA v Lauries the season before last where he pretty much ran right through the Lauries team on a 50m carry and steamrolled anyone that put themselves in front of him.

The rate of his ball carry , and therefore diminishment in perception of his ability in this regard , probably has occurred to the more casual ( and careless ) observer as a direct result to the depth of other ball carrying talent he may have been playing with on the teams he has played on.

But to suggest he isn't a big ball runner is a complete misnomer

He more than has that capacity ( and then some ) and has proven it to those that really have been watching and observing.

If he can develop his passing mechanics ( that do need a lot of work ) and work more on his strength and conditioning ( specifically lateral agility to up his effectiveness in the defensive line ), he can , if he sets his minds to it be anything on the rugby field he wants to be

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
The rate of his ball carry may have had something to do with the amount of clearing out he had to do

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I haven't seen Cayle Manu's name surface on this thread much yet

Is he expected to have a First XV impact this year ?

I like the young Connors lad from St Pat's as well

Any thoughts on either from those a bit closer to the action ?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Everyone try to stick to the topic and cut out the bullshit sniping.
Posts (and posters) will be deleted if not.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Anyone know which AIC 1st XV players are in the Reds development squad.
Gather they will form the basis of AIC and QLD selection
Lots of GPS players from what I understand.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Apparently an u18 development squad.
I understand that a few of last years AIC players are in this and the train every couple of weeks.

Stan Wickham (3)
Apparently an u18 development squad.
I understand that a few of last years AIC players are in this and the train every couple of weeks.

The Word around is that there is only 4 AIC players in this U18 Development squad. With 2 players from Ashgrove and 2 from St Pats.

The 2 from Ashgrove are a forward and a back and From St Pats both forwards. Not too sure on names though if anyone knows who they are please let me know

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Not sure about Reds squads, but there is a great under 15 development squad at GPS Rugby this year and the U16-18 GPS Ashgrove Rugby academy is about to launch with an information night on Monday 6th at the club. Lots of AIC and GPS players across the board will participate.

The under 15 boys will be the beneficiaries of tailored S&C and skills programmes and Level 3 coaching, with an eye on being part of the 2018 academy. The instilling of a consistent coaching methodology will prepare these boys for the next level.

A great initiative, with the boys the winners.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
From MCA I think its a prop and No 9.
From Pats 2nd rower and uncertain.
Dont know names and such may be wrong.

Arachnid

Frank Row (1)
The boys from the u18 reds squad are as follows:
MCA:
Emosi Tuquiri, Prop
Ben Bucknell, Fullback/Center

Pats:
Lachlan Connors, Second Row
Zak Smith, Hooker/Prop

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
Not sure about Reds squads, but there is a great under 15 development squad at GPS Rugby this year and the U16-18 GPS Ashgrove Rugby academy is about to launch with an information night on Monday 6th at the club. Lots of AIC and GPS players across the board will participate.

The under 15 boys will be the beneficiaries of tailored S&C and skills programmes and Level 3 coaching, with an eye on being part of the 2018 academy. The instilling of a consistent coaching methodology will prepare these boys for the next level.

A great initiative, with the boys the winners.
Would not be many under 15 teams running around with the luxury of a level 3 coach!?

midas

Frank Nicholson (4)
I haven't seen Cayle Manu's name surface on this thread much yet

Is he expected to have a First XV impact this year ?

I like the young Connors lad from St Pat's as well

Any thoughts on either from those a bit closer to the action ?
Cheers

Hi Garry,

Cayle now at Nudgee

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Hey Midas

Thanks for the update

I will continue to watch CM's progress with interest at Nudgee

Was he there last GPS Season or just start there this year ?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
A Lauries mail update

Apparently there was intention to blood a younger player or two ( probably only 1 ) in this year's First XV if he / they earned that right through trials / camp etc

The change of regime has laid that prior intention to rest and irrespective of whether a Grade 10 player is good enough , as a matter of policy , such players will be allowed to train with the squad in preseason but won't be considered for selection in the final team

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
U16 I assume this year Midas ?

I also assume he will be part of a broader Firsts training squad but the current U16 age group level at Nudgee had a big turnaround last year in the U15 age group level and are well positioned ( surprise surprise for Nudgee ) to build a strong platform when they hit opens

Good for CM anyway

Pats have really produced a lot of talent ....probably some of the best individual talent in the last few years in AIC Rugby in the upper year levels

Padua too.

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm confused, I thought there wasn't a change in regime at Lauries, I thought the coaches with a 2/17 win/loss record were reappointed? Surely it was not their plan to play grade 10s as my mail suggests they don't know anything about the capabilities of kids coming through the younger grades. I have been told that current year 10 boys who are turning 16 have been allowed to train with the opens and were completely shocked by the lack of intensity of the trainings and stunned that the coaching staff still can't provide specifics of attack and defensive systems.

My understanding of AIC and GPS rugby bi-laws is that 15 year olds can play 1st XV with parental permission and following the right channels. I'm positive Fraser McReight played for BGS 1st XV in 2014 as a 15 year old. Brad Wilkin played 1st XV as a 15 year old at Iona as well in 2012, so whoever has come up with that blanket ruling on younger players may need to check why they've decided to do that, the onus is obviously on the player(s) being up to 1st XV level and working hard in pre season, but I think putting a line through year 10's is a bit short sighted, but then again Lauries haven't got the best track record of picking their best team over the last 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.