• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 IRB Junior World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Good to see some blokes from WA, ACT and VIC in the squad. I dont know how crook is considered a NSW product, but it must be due to him being in the NSW academy or something.

I think it's a pretty strong side and they will put up a good fight, should make it to the semis.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He needed surgery after that injury against the Clan? That's a shame.

If he hadn't gone off injured I'm sure they would have won that game comfortably. Such a class player.

You'd assume he won't be right then.

T

tranquility

There are three runon prem grade forwards I know of from Qld missing,two are in their second season run on.

Who are those unlucky blokes?

Squad looks good to me, but I say that every year. Cusack, Roach, Browning, Ngauamo, Cummins, McMahon should all be good Super Rugby players in the forwards in the future. The backs will be as always as good as any other side.

Paraka is starting at Prop for Easties already so he must be a talent. The ARU were pushing for the Rebels to pick up Hoskins, so he obviously has big wraps on him as well.

Always pretty enjoyable tournament as a spectator.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
On the IRB site it has 4 lads named and then unknown listed in the positions column next to names. Makes you wonder what the hell is going on.
Not a big side compared to the NZ and SA sides.
Looks like they are going to try and run around them.
Lot of young lads in that squad that, no matter what, have not had the time to develop experience, especially against (again) NZ and SA.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Even if Goosen is available, there is every chance he may be involved in the series against the poms instead of playing for the baby boks.

R

rugbyfan

On the IRB site it has 4 lads named and then unknown listed in the positions column next to names. Makes you wonder what the hell is going on.
Not a big side compared to the NZ and SA sides.
Looks like they are going to try and run around them.
Lot of young lads in that squad that, no matter what, have not had the time to develop experience, especially against (again) NZ and SA.

May be reserves?

DownsSupporter

Frank Nicholson (4)
Who are those unlucky blokes? Unquote

I believe Country Rugby was referring to Mitch Carpenter, GPS Lock and Michael Birmingham TH from Easts who both played Prem Grade straight from school last year and continue to play it this year.

The third case I presume to be Phil Kite, Prop GPS who played some Prem grade straight from school last year but who, I believe is currently out with a foot injury.

Certainly some handy players overlooked in the selection exercise

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
He needed surgery after that injury against the Clan? That's a shame.

If he hadn't gone off injured I'm sure they would have won that game comfortably. Such a class player.

You'd assume he won't be right then.
He is out for 4 months at least.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I think Boyd Killingworth, Mitch Carpenter and Michael Bermingham were very unlucky to miss out. Other than that looks to be a decent squad.

Possible XV

1. Allan Ala'alatoa
2. Hugh Roach
3. Oliver Hoskins
4. Steven Cummins
5. Jed Holloway
6. Tom Cusack
7. Liam Gill (c)
8. Sean McMahon
9. Nick Frisby
10. Ulupano Seuteni
11. Lindsay Crook
12. Apolosi Latunipulu
13. Allan Faalavaau
14. Chris Sautia
15. Lewis Holland

16. Maile Ngauamo
17. Pettowa Paraka
18. Silatolu Latu
19. Sam Reiser
20. Ben Melrose
21. Matt Lucas
22. Con Foley
23. Malietoa Hingano

Maybe Kyle Godwin to Fly-half, UJ Seuteni to Fullback and Holland to the bench? Also unsure if Curtis Browning (QLD) is playing loosehead, backrow or lock.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Mitch Carpenter didn't go to the second camp.
Sean Cox and Michael Stolberg also missed out.
Curtis Browning is backrow

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A few names from the Brisbane academy should've been there since they did well in the academy game down in Sydney against some of the Sydney side names.

Yep hard to believe Killingworth didn't make it

C

Cave Dweller

Los Pumitas

5-lo_uar_equipos.png

The selected Under 20 is currently using the nickname Los Pumitas. In previous years Los Pumitas were composed of under 19 years players
Los Pumitas finished in ninth place in the World category held in Italy last year.
Roster of Players

Forwards

no_img_plantel.jpg
Federico Aguiar
LJ-956-Bruno%20Tomas.jpg
Tomas Bruno

LJ-978-Sambran%20Matias.jpg
Matthias Sambrán
LJ-979-Sanchez%20Mariano.jpg
Mariano Sanchez

no_img_plantel.jpg
Rodrigo Heit Stop
LJ-973-Oberti%20Gaspar.jpg
Gaspar Oberti
LJ-958-Casado%20Lautaro.jpg
Married Lautaro
LJ-980-Uruburu%20Ladislao.jpg
Ladislao Uriburu

no_img_plantel.jpg
Matias Diaz
no_img_plantel.jpg
Leandro Ramela

LJ-966-Garcia%20Botta%20Santiago.jpg
Botta Santiago Garcia
no_img_plantel.jpg
Ramon Guillermo Gonzalez

LJ-871-Guillemain%20Juan%20Cruz.jpg
Guillemain Juan Cruz
no_img_plantel.jpg
Santiago Iglesias

LJ-968-Isa%20Facundo.jpg
Facundo Isa
LJ-970-Lefort%20German.jpg
Germain Lefort

C

Cave Dweller

Backs

no_img_plantel.jpg
Philip Ezcurra
LJ-965-Frias%20Silva%20Matias.jpg
Matias Silva Frías

LJ-955-Brex%20Juan%20Ignacio.jpg
Brex Juan Ignacio
LJ-969-Klubus%20German.jpg
Germain Klubus
LJ-971-Matera%20Pablo.jpg
Paul Matera
LJ-960-Cuaranta%20Franco.jpg
Franco Cuaranta

LJ-972-Nogues%20Felipe.jpg
Philip Nogués
LJ-975-Paz%20Joaquin.jpg
Joaquin Peace
LJ-883-Poet%20Sebastian.jpg
Poet Sebastian
LJ-977-Ruiz%20Gonzalo.jpg
Gonzalo Ruiz

LJ-954-Ambrosio%20Rodolfo.jpg
Rodolfo Ambrose
LJ-957-Cappiello%20Juan.jpg
John Cappiello

LJ-959-Cordero%20Santiago.jpg
Cordero Santiago
That is the main squad basically that will compete in most of the games.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Another surprising ommission for me was Isaiah Mosese from Rebels EPS and current first grade at Northern Suburbs

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Swarley

That was a good team you picked in your last post from the players available, but it underlines some of the problems the Oz team may encounter.

There are 7 Oz Schools players from last year by my rough count if you include some that were injured and couldn't play - and I've probably forgotten one or two. That's a bit too many IMO.

I thought that the Oz U/19 team from last year that was bullied by the England U/18s, so well conditioned were they, though a year younger, would form the bulk of the 2012 Oz U/20 squad, but only 10 of that 23 man squad in 2011 made the 2012 squad of 28. I could have missed a name or two but regardless, roughly half of them were overlooked.

Props Allan A and Paraka were still at school last year but at least they are big enough - but another school leaver, Sean McMahon is only 17 years old and 90kgs, which is OK for Sevens, but is light to play no.8 in the IRB U/20s. Someone said that Browning is being considered as a backrower so he could start at 8 because he must be 110kgs now; but he's another who was at school in 2011 and is not seasoned. Besides, he did not give a good account of himself in the Academy game in Sydney a few months ago.

Too many young players and a small backrow are two problems; another is the 2nd row, which will lack physicality. I have a high regard for Steve Cummins but he compared poorly to the Qld Academy lads, albeit a year or two older, in the game I mentioned earlier. Holloway may be playing in 1st Grade but he didn't play the house down in a game I saw. If Reiser gets picked in the main team he is not exactly a powerhouse either

Gill will make a difference to the team but I will only believe he will play when I see him run onto the park. The mobility of the backrow will make up some for their lack of size (and I suspect aggression also) but not enough.

I fear for this team in the physical contests against the likes of South Africa, England and NZ.

The backs are another matter. Frisby is a first class player and though Lucas played poorly in that U/19 match last year, it was, no doubt, a one off. His 7s form is top class. I thought Donlan would miss out because of the names of the others, but if a team unit is measured by who is omitted, the scrummies will do well. Donlan is playing the house down in Sydney 1st Grade.

I think you could be right about the older Godwin playing flyhalf instead of UJ - but who has seen either play a full game of rugby this year? Not me. Reports please.

Your back three should do well but the midfield is a concern. 12. Apo has not shown the form for his school in rep teams, or senior teams he has played in, and this is his 2nd year out of school already. 13 Allan F from Victoria is going to be a Super player one day and looks good in the Oz 7s team, but he is another who left school last year. Maybe he will do better playing next to Apo than Hingano ever did. Those two never played well together as they were too much the same.

I hope that these lads have a warm up game or two. The 6N countries have already had a tournament amongst themselves. Maybe one year the 3N or 4N teams will have an early comp for the purposes of selecting their IRB U/20 team.

To start with, a couple of games. home and away, with NZ, could be a curtain raiser for a Super Rugby game in each country. This should be held before the final selections are made. Needed Super Rugby players don't have to play: they would be shoo-ins anyway.

Let's put that on the agenda for 2013.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Godwin should start ahead of UJ at this stage. UJ has played about a half of footy this season, and looked really rusty in it. But some game time might change that.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Lee I agree wholeheartdly with your post.

"I fear for this team in the physical contests against the likes of South Africa, England and NZ." My sentiments exactly. I fear for these boys too.

They have selected players who do not have the size, weight, conditioning and game time. It's ok to run around the bigger fellows, unitl they catch you.

Status
Not open for further replies.