• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part 2 - Down Under

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Warner. :p

Gets thrown out of the team for being a half witted muppet.

Gets the olive branch and at the very first opportunity guess what? He acts like a half witted muppet again.

What a half witted muppet.

I played several years of indoor cricket against him, half witted muppet is generous.

He has little man syndrome to the extreme. He is not the sharpest tool in the shed and his first reaction to any situation he doesn't like is to get aggressive.

That said, he batted beautifully in the second innings in particular and I greatly enjoyed watching his century :D

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Warner. :p

Gets thrown out of the team for being a half witted muppet.

Gets the olive branch and at the very first opportunity guess what? He acts like a half witted muppet again.

What a half witted muppet.

Yes, he is still a half witted muppet, but with one KEY difference- he is a half witted muppet who is making runs. And that fact alone covers for all manner of indiscretions.

I'm not sure what a player would have to do to be thrown out of the team while they are still making runs. I have a sneaking feeling if Ivan Milat was a gun middle-order bat for the nation that whole saga may have been resolved a little differently ;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It would be disappointing if Warner's comments regarding Trott were the straw that broke the camel's back and resulted in him deciding to head home.

I would have welcomed Trott remaining in Australia. He hasn't looked like making runs.

I imagine Root might move up the order and Ballance will come in. The other option is Bairstow at 6.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd be playing Harris in Adelaide for sure. New pitch and all that but its his 'home ground'. Disregarding his move to heaven's playground, he played most of his previous first class cricket in Adelaide.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
One of the things that contributed to our previous success was consistency in selections. On that basis we should take the same line up into Adelaide. I'm with Baabaa that Harris must play until the series is won, same with Johnson. Watson I have my doubts over, but there is no way I'd be dropping him after one test. Bad teams do that and we don't want to be like that again. As for Warner, he's maturing as a batsman but unfortunately not as a human being. Fuck me he's a nuffy.

On the sledging thing: total non-event. There is sledging in all levels of game and it's been there since the times of WG Grace (he was probably the first proper sledger). At the elite level it's such a test of your mental strength and blokes are going to come after you. Best to learn how to deal with that. Anderson is one of the worst sledgers in the game so balls to him. Trott I feel for, so hopefully he can go home and get right mentally, because it's tough way to make a living if your head is in the wrong place.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
On the sledging thing: total non-event. There is sledging in all levels of game and it's been there since the times of WG Grace (he was probably the first proper sledger). At the elite level it's such a test of your mental strength and blokes are going to come after you. Best to learn how to deal with that. Anderson is one of the worst sledgers in the game so balls to him. Trott I feel for, so hopefully he can go home and get right mentally, because it's tough way to make a living if your head is in the wrong place.

Absolutely.

Channel 9 has now apologised to Clarke for incorrectly broadcasting it as well.

Clearly if it hadn't been broadcast over the stump microphones this would have never been an issue.

T

Train Without a Station

Is the WACA test before Christmas? If Harris can last until the end of that match we might be able to notch a second win which would be enough to take the series.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
After the first one days in India from all reports Australian cricket was back to 100%

That went well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Good god men, has the optimism gnome moved to Australia?

I'm all for quite hoping, but Australia has to win this thing yet before you can say they have turned the corner.

I'm just glad that I can head to Melbourne for Boxing Day without the prospect of us being 3-nil down already and the series over!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Good god men, has the optimism gnome moved to Australia?

I'm all for quite hoping, but Australia has to win this thing yet before you can say they have turned the corner.

I actually had a degree of optimism after the Winter Ashes series. That series was a lot closer than the score suggested and I thought if we could just find a way to get even a few more runs on the board our bowling attack would make us competitive. Basically if we can stop Bell from having the kind of series he did in the UK we may win this thing. He was the difference in the end.

As for this series, we have to keep the momentum going and go even harder at the Poms in the next test. They have a habit of bouncing back from first test away defeats and winning or drawing series. It will be very interesting to see how they respond after the pounding they took in Brisbane and Trott leaving the tour. Some teams close ranks and come back stronger, others disintegrate. I have a feeling the Poms will be better in the next test, because they must know that being 2-0 down going to the WACA just about kills their tour right there.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Likewise. It would be nice for the series to be alive when I'm sipping my first beer at the G on Boxing Day.

Fuck that, I want it to be 3-0! More than happy for us to use the last two tests as a quasi-victory lap. And I say that as someone who also has tickets for Day 1 in Melbourne.

That said, I very much doubt that will be the case..

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm just a tad worried that the long period between the first and second tests have allowed the poms to regroup. Trott leaving the tour might be seen as disruptive, however the reason for his departure might serve to galvanise the pommies, who I now expect to come out swinging in the second test.

For all of the Aussie bravado played out in the media, we still need to come out in Adelaide and grind them into the dirt. If we can do that, then they won't have time to turn things around between Adelaide and Perth.

Status
Not open for further replies.