• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part 2 - Down Under

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
231 runs set, stumps 0/30 so a chase of 201. I'll back the Aussies to get this, even in the 4th innings. I doubt they will bat as poorly as in the first innings and sensible batting should see them through. unlike the English the Oz cricket team has a decent enough tail.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I don't think it'll be the Aussie batting that'll win this today, perhaps the English bowling just won't be up to it. It's difficult to see them getting up for another energetic bowling performance like their first innings, there's going to be a bit of going through the motions from the Poms today.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yay Chris Rogers! Well deserved 100, this is the best he's looked at the crease this series. Chappeli said it best when he mentioned the knock to the head Rogers' got was the worst thing to happen to England as he's been batting brilliantly ever since. Good support from Watson also.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
England look in total disarray can't believe how negative and unimaginative Cook's captaincy has been for the Aussie second innings, why they pick Monty Panesar if they weren't going to bowl him?

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
England look in total disarray can't believe how negative and unimaginative Cook's captaincy has been for the Aussie second innings, why they pick Monty Panesar if they weren't going to bowl him?

Yeah, I thought it was bizarre they went for Root before Panesar.

They just got Rogers (shame he couldnt be there for the end) but its a case of too little too late (pending a miracle) for England.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So they are going to rest Harris. I wonder if Watson will get the same? Hughes the obvious replacement for Watto is he not? Faulkner in for Harris?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Hughes should be first but have heard Doolan mentioned.

Warner
Rogers
Hughes
Clarke
Smith
Faulkner
Haddin
Johnson
Siddle
Coulter-Nile
Lyon

12th Bailey (not performed and carry an extra bowler)

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8777125

Did anyone see the above over? It was about the only bit of day 4 that I caught when I came in for lunch.

Definitely think Hadlee is carrying on a bit much, but sort of get where he is coming from. Bing certainly didn't hold anything back and Piers showed great courage for a first class knob (as Adam Zwar's recent bodyline documentary proves).

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Is that confirmed?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

No, lots of speculation though that he isn't holding up well. With no Harris and Watson likely to bat only now is the time to play Faulkner.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Does it matter?
Game was there for the taking and they went through the motions.
There is a reason they are down 0-4,and most of it is not our personnel.
They are non winners.

T

Train Without a Station

No, lots of speculation though that he isn't holding up well. With no Harris and Watson likely to bat only now is the time to play Faulkner.

Faulkner cannot come in at the expense of Watson, or any other play who bats in the top 6. He simply does not have the batting, pardon the pun, runs on the board to be a test top 6 batsman. If you are happy to move Haddin to 6 then maybe, but even then you would be playing a batsman down. The guy's more Andrew McDonald than Keith Miller.

By the way, that wasn't a slight on McDonald. More trying to illustrate the difference in how a bowling all-rounder performs, as opposed to a batting one.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So they are going to rest Harris. I wonder if Watson will get the same? Hughes the obvious replacement for Watto is he not? Faulkner in for Harris?

Hughes has been amassing a mountain of runs at Shield level, but he always did and then was more often than not found wanting in technique at test level. Has his technique improved to the point that he could now be relied on in the test team? Given that uncertainty, I'd be happy to see Doolan given his chance to show what he has.

Similarly, I'd also like to see Faulkner given a go if there is an opportunity, and I think he'd be hard pressed to fare worse than George Bailey at 6, although I like George for his fielding and general teamsmanship(?).

Are the selectors likely to play two spinners at the SCG, or has the pitch changes its nature over the years?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Faulkner cannot come in at the expense of Watson, or any other play who bats in the top 6. He simply does not have the batting, pardon the pun, runs on the board to be a test top 6 batsman. If you are happy to move Haddin to 6 then maybe, but even then you would be playing a batsman down. The guy's more Andrew McDonald than Keith Miller.

By the way, that wasn't a slight on McDonald. More trying to illustrate the difference in how a bowling all-rounder performs, as opposed to a batting one.

I would not play him instead of Watson. I am hoping Watson is ok to play as a batsman. If there is no Harris there could be made a good argument for including him to bolster the bowling stocks. Johnson and Siddle have done a lot of bowling and Coulter-Nile is unproven. Bailey has not done anything to show he is a test 6 and Faulkner could have a similar impact with the bat as Bailey's best have been ODI style innings.

T

Train Without a Station

Hughes has been amassing a mountain of runs at Shield level, but he always did and then was more often than not found wanting in technique at test level. Has his technique improved to the point that he could now be relied on in the test team? Given that uncertainty, I'd be happy to see Doolan given his chance to show what he has.

I would be very unhappy if Doolan was given his chance to show what he has. Simply because based on this year's performances and an FC average of around 37, I don't see any indication that he has that much.

The accepted level of a decent batsman is an average of 40, so really any player who has not amassed enough runs at a consistency over their career to achieve that we should disregard.

In the untried department, that leaves Chris Lynn with a good average of around 43, then Nic Maddinson and Joe Burns a little over 40. \

Then in the experienced department we have North who is averaging something ridiculous like 80 for the season and low 40's in his career as well as Voges, White and Cowan over 40.

If anybody is going to come in, they should come from these players. To disregard them and pick a Doolan or Silk would be to expect a player to suddenly improve performances at a higher level, which is a little unrealistic.

My vote would go to either Lynn, Maddinson or North to come in as a 6. IF it's Sydney I'd go with the younger 2. If it's SA I'd bring North back.

T

Train Without a Station

Saw that today. Very disappointed. A poor selection in my view as there are a number of quality alternatives.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would be very unhappy if Doolan was given his chance to show what he has. Simply because based on this year's performances and an FC average of around 37, I don't see any indication that he has that much.

The accepted level of a decent batsman is an average of 40, so really any player who has not amassed enough runs at a consistency over their career to achieve that we should disregard.

In the untried department, that leaves Chris Lynn with a good average of around 43, then Nic Maddinson and Joe Burns a little over 40. \

Then in the experienced department we have North who is averaging something ridiculous like 80 for the season and low 40's in his career as well as Voges, White and Cowan over 40.

If anybody is going to come in, they should come from these players. To disregard them and pick a Doolan or Silk would be to expect a player to suddenly improve performances at a higher level, which is a little unrealistic.

My vote would go to either Lynn, Maddinson or North to come in as a 6. IF it's Sydney I'd go with the younger 2. If it's SA I'd bring North back.

I certainly see all of Lynn, Maddison and Burns being the future batting lineup for the Aus team and wouldn't have been disappointed if any of those had been brought in. But I also remember Doolan making a huge hundred against the touring English last time around and think he just might rise to the occasion if given a go. I do think now that George Bailey is on borrowed time and we might see any one of these players take his spot (though probably batting at 3) against SA.

Status
Not open for further replies.