• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 IRB Junior World Championship - France

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Qwerty agree, one of the reasons picking combinations was important for the Wobs, haven't seen the run on yet but the 9, 10, 12, 13 may not have started together in a test before.

Genia JOC (James O'Connor) Horne AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) were part of the 2011 EOYT. That was Deans' ideal backline, he said so himself. Injury cruelled him of that in 2012.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
has anyone ever seen a 15 vs 11 on a rugby field?
Ref bottled it first by giving a straight red to Fiji #12 for a tip tackle, which would have been a YC in most books.
Then a YC for something on the goalline, and then two further yellows for swinging arm and shoulder charge respectively.
Shocking discipline by Fiji.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
A tip tackle is an automatic red in one book - the laws of rugby - did you not see the wc semi final in 2011?

yeah, but most refs sensibly still go for the yellow, if he doesn't piledrive the head into the turf ;)
Second straight red now for high tackle. Ridiculous ref

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Disagree - every "tip" tackle I have seen since ive known that was the law has resulted in a red card. Its in the rules - automatic red if you lift above the horizontal .

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Looking at last years performance and the first game of this year's tournament I have to wonder what type of players we are trying to produce here in OZ. I don't know whether its the coaches abilities or their philosophies that are to blame. Last nights performance wasn't as bad as some I've seen but the style of play was very negative and very safe in its imagination.

You take some very talented players who at schools level and into their grade careers enjoy an expansive style of play where the use of the ball is encouraged (as in the last two schools tests versus NZ schools and look at any shute shield/colts match) and then put them into a team where the ball never gets past the No.12 and field position and aimless kicking plays a big part of their strategy.

They pick players because of their size regardless of whether they possess the level of skill required at this level and then prepare them by giving them a couple of camps before the tournament. They pick players out of position (having a player who has ever played 6 at the open flanker spot) and then when he is replaced put your best No.8 on the side of the scrum.

The players are there and I would like to see a style of play developed where their skills are utilised rather than develop a pattern and then get them to fit inot it

diwi10

Stan Wickham (3)
Bruce it's unbelievable really. Ireland played 5 matches in a competition format against England, Italy, Wales, Scotland and France earlier in the year. How are we expected to compete with that with just one game against PNG?? The lack of cohesiveness was so evident, passes not going to the man, lack of breakdown support and little direction. You really wonder whether the ARU care.

Yes we need to play better warm up games like the Brumbie runners, Rebel rising or the team the academy
play. NZ don't play any international, first of all they pick players from 1st Grade not 1st or 2nd Colts. Most their squared are 20s unless your a real standout. They also don't use it as a development run its a competition for the best 20s in World Rugby hence it being the IRB Junior World Rugby Trophy.............

Orange Peeler

Peter Burge (5)
Yes we need to play better warm up games like the Brumbie runners, Rebel rising or the team the academy
play. NZ don't play any international, first of all they pick players from 1st Grade not 1st or 2nd Colts. Most their squared are 20s unless your a real standout. They also don't use it as a development run its a competition for the best 20s in World Rugby hence it being the IRB Junior World Rugby Trophy.....

I believe the current 1st Grade Sydney Uni half back is eligible Aust U/20's. Instead of choosing him Aust selectors chose another 9 who was playing Colts 2. How does that work?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I suspect that he is down in Colts 2 as an unintended consequence of the Player Points system, and that he plays a fair bit of Colts 1 when the points system allows it.

The kid is apparently studying at Sydney Uni and has no real historical links with any Sydney Junior Club/district. Hard to mount an argument that he has been poached by the Camperdown Mafia.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I suspect that he is down in Colts 2 as an unintended consequence of the Player Points system, and that he plays a fair bit of Colts 1 when the points system allows it.

The kid is apparently studying at Sydney Uni and has no real historical links with any Sydney Junior Club/district. Hard to mount an argument that he has been poached by the Camperdown Mafia.
Played for Mosman and is, therefore, a Norths junior.
His old Man handed out the State Champs jersyes @ Norths on Sunday night - so evidently Norths dont think there's too much sinister there.
I have a felling he is in College @ Uni

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I believe the current 1st Grade Sydney Uni half back is eligible Aust U/20's. Instead of choosing him Aust selectors chose another 9 who was playing Colts 2. How does that work?

Phil Kearns was picked for the Wallabies out of Randwick Reserve Grade.

Different selectors have different ideas.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Uni halfback Jake Gordon played Colts in 2011. Surely that makes him unlikely to still be eligible for the Junior RWC unless he was still at school when playing Colts.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Uni halfback Jake Gordon played Colts in 2011. Surely that makes him unlikely to still be eligible for the Junior RWC unless he was still at school when playing Colts.
It could have been a reference to Merriman - who I gather pulled out because of injury opening the way for his successor as Australian School's 9

DinoRugby

Frank Row (1)
I am new to this site so please be gentle :). However here it tis..
I got up and watched this debacle last night. No 9 runs sideways before off loading therefore our attacking space is gone. Must be replaced for next game.
Must win your lineouts and good scrum ball is imperative ( coaching issue)
Tactics out of Level 3 standard coaching course. Spread wide don't overcommit to ruck, kick to corners etc etc etc. It was not working but we never changed it. ( coaching issue)
Turnover were too many, out muscled ( tactic issue of numbers at breakdown)
The commentator was right...why spread wide when we didn't use the ball, the number 13 got one touch all night.
pace to burn in the backs but defence shut it down..refer our no9.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Thanks for posting that team qwerty51.

It's interesting to see 2013 Oz Schools players - 5. Staniforth, 7. Dempsey, 10. McIntyre, 13. Foketi and 15. Placid start in the same match - and Placid still U/18 this year.

Good luck to them.

I've got the feeling that folks won't realise how young McIntyre is, the way he plays: not flashy but assured - or at least, I hope he still plays like that now he has left school.

Has anybody seen UJS play inside centre? I haven't. The midfield misses a lot without Samu Kerevi and I smell trouble in this area. It's a pity that CFS was not available, and fit to play, and that Allan F is playing Sevens this month.

It's a joke that Allan was ruled out of the JRWC so he could play sevens and then isn't in the sevens squad as they picked 3 Super players. Obviously no one knows what's going on at the ARU.
I guess he'll be playing club rugby in the coming weeks.

T

tranquility

Very disappointing. I would never bag these boys, as they are young men trying their best - but gee it is hard to watch.

All our forwards look over weight, and under committed. The body height in contact and counter rucking is disastrous and the forward runners are static and unimaginative. Much like the Wallabys.

To me this really comes down to coaching and not ability. That and the fact that has previously mentioned they are under-prepared in match conditions.

I thought Jonah Placid was very good with limited opportunities. I also thought Maile and Staniforth were good in tight, and that Meehan box kicked well. But gee, not great viewing.

The Samoan lock has a very undisciplined streak to him, he nearly did the exact same thing earlier in the match, but pulled his foot away at the last moment. Ugly stuff.

T

tranquility

Also what a bloody travesty that McMahon and Cusack weren't out there? They are both very good footballers who will be Super Ruby players in the not too distant future.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm more than a little concerned that our performances at these U/20's tournaments over the last couple of seasons haven't been that great. These young blokes are the players who will be making their way into our Super rugby franchises and ultimately the test side. Is it just coaching or is it the structure?

Status
Not open for further replies.