• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks, LG. Very good looking side. There's some serious pace and skill in that backline that includes 2 Riverview graduates, Redden & Hutchison. After his brief foray in Brumbies' colours, very pleased to see HH back in his birth state. Having only recently turned 18 we can look forward to his several campaigns in the U20s.

Redden has to be one of the most improved players in the squad both from his progress since the beginning of December and ditto since his school days - though I'm thinking now that he may have missed out on rugby in his last year of school and I'm comparing him to his U/17 year.

Hutchison was deadly on the wing yesterday, especially in the first 40 because the Southerns found it difficult to deal with his pace; though when we think of his play it's not his speed we think of first but his guile before he gets the ball, and after, plus his bone-jarring defence.

At the other end of the spectrum of rugby upbringing we have fellows from outside of the big rugby schools like Folau Fainga'a, Lukhan Lealaiauloto-Tui, Francis Brown Ed Craig and Sam Croke.

Watch out for Big Lukhan at 198 cms and 120 kgs in the second row: he has played little rugby but now he is playing a dominant game with a bit of skill. He has also passed Randwick selection criteria and been poached by them from Southern Districts: a sure sign of excellence—and this is just his U/19 year.

Hooker Folau Fainga'a is with Sydney Uni and it is a case of their spotting him at a young age (he has always played "up") and I couldn't think of a better place for the young fellow, who was with the "Sydney Stars" in the NRC.

Ed Craig has done well outside the private schools' system to get the second hookers' spot in his first year out of school, despite getting a nasty facial injury in Colts last season.

As well as these fellows have done I am sure than many more have been missed because of the slow death of junior rugby outside "the system".

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Kellaway and Jones made the Southern districts outside backs look average on more than one occasion.

In the forwards, the monster lock (Lukan?) got in plenty of big hits, but was quiet elsewhere.

The replacement lock (Kellaway 2) got through a mountain of work including 2 big midfield breaks, if only he had the footspeed of His brother, he would have been in for 2 long range tries, alas, not to be, but gave great offload ball and was a major pest in that midfield region.

The outside backs from the opposition teams will need to be working over time on these boys, they were very very slick!

The back row stocks look very good,

The one weakness if you had to find one is the depth and impact the locks will have, with the likes of N Kellaway & Hanigan playing very loose, a lot will depend on Lukan & Williams giving some go forward

Very promising stuff, and i imagine some very happy coaches after that one.

Good post Hans.

Jones and A. Kellaway were like in their school days playing for NSW Schools and it's good to see them playing together again with the same potency at the U20 level.

Nick Kellaway probably had the best game I ever saw from him; in the way you described.

I have more confidence in the locks now with Big Lukhan playing well—but not just from big hits, in my opinion: he also had some dominant runs and bent the line on most occasions. Like Big Will at the Tahs he doesn't deign to lower his body going into contact but he would be a better player for it if he did. Geez, they had some trouble tackling him, and he can offload also.

Although Hanigan's future is as a 6 who can play in the second row at a pinch he will make a good pairing with Lukhan in the second row at this level - not that they will play their best XV every day at the nationals: if they do on any day.

Charlies son Bob

Stan Wickham (3)
The NSW Under 20s had a good hit-out at Rockdale today.

"What appeared to be their top XV played Southern Districts First Grade in the first 40 minutes. After some constant pressure by SD the juniors took everything they had including some challenging scrums from the senior players - but their defence was brilliant in organisation, spot tackling and dominant tackling, which created turnovers."

Lee, I think you summed up the game very well in your first paragraph!

Each of the NSW players did their particular job very well at an individual level. The "expected" tactical softening up period from Souths didn't work as NSW responded with physicality and purpose.

NSW were far fitter and this showed as the game progressed. I was surprised some of the South players who played 2nd grade - didn't play up (Brendon P-A) - he is the same level as these guys and can be lethal in the rucks - put on some bulk since I last saw him.

As this was NSW first serious hit out (final configuration) their progress is full of promise and future coaching - with the embedding of tactics and game plays to come. Two weeks to sharpen the pencil.

I would say the run on team was the strongest in the day acknowledging the first ten minutes (and the heat of the day at that time) - don't necessarily agree with other writers nominating particular players standing out as that was not the case from my point of view. One on one with their counterparts- no contest.

Individuals doing what was expected of them - this was impressive from all who played and enjoyable.

Well done NSW colts coaches in getting the essentials in order and treating them as a priority.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I was looking back at some old posts:

No QLD country players made the team?

Harry Nucifora.

Is there really a bloke called Folau Fainga'a?

There really is - he's mentioned in one of my recent posts. An outstanding hooker in the TPN mould and one that was recruited by Sydney Uni from out of the blue. Good for them.

Interesting info above. However, not all correct. I can tell you that Anderson and Craig were training and playing in the trials right up to and including last Friday's internal trial at TG Milner, based on info from my contacts at EDRUFC. Anderson may have missed the odd hit-out due to injury, but Craig is injury free. I understand that Joshua Anderson (Ando) was cut on Monday.

Anderson was in the training squad in November and December but was cut in the first week of January. He played in no trial games.

I think Thompson was in Perth for the WA trials, so he would have seen Backhouse dominating there. I would hope Oscar was still in the frame for Oz 20's based on that showing, as well as Barbarians last year and NRC appearances. As I understand it, his injury ruled him out of Southern States and Nats but he should be good to go soon thereafter.

Thompson would have seen all the NRC games involving 2014 U/19 players in Brisbane and I'd warrant that Sutherland did the same in Sydney, and maybe Cam Blades as well. Then there are videos to look at.

Selection of a squad after the nationals is not for the touring squad: it is for the first camp. This is where a player who missed the nationals can be added, but he would have to be fit for the camp. During that time they will train and also play in the Oceania tournament.

Last year they cut six players after the first camp and took the touring squad plus a few shadows for a second camp in Sydney (including two warm up games during the week) before they went to NZ.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
QLD under 20 preparation for the upcoming Championship has been hindered by bad weather and injuries. Especially the growing count of injured players has been worrying. The chances for selection of Potgieter, Fox, MacMillan, Mafi and Jones are under threat.
Overall on paper the QLD team looks stronger that one in 2014. But some position are still of concern. The props are strong and experienced (Pleash and Sikimeti) so no problem here. However hookers with the absence of Mafi and Andrew Manu are untested. I liked the work of Zac Shanks against GC but he was not in opening 15 this weekend game. This is not the biggest problem though. The 2nd row is. The new hope 203cm/112kg Izaack Rhodda may require a bit more time to develop and Scott Young although talented is not there yet. The team may have to rely on Adam Korczyk who played 2nd row for Schools but developed in versatile and strong Number 6. I hope that Phil Potgieter will be fit in couple of weeks. Backrow looked the strongest with Korczyk, Gunn and Fakosilea but this may not be the case now. I was impressed by Harley Fox at number 8 but now who knows what will happen.
Both scrumhalves are good so the choice is there. Number 10 position has 2 contenders; Reds recruit Duncan Pauaia and James Dalgleish. So far James has my nod but he could also play 12 and 15 so this may give selectors a few options. Wings should give any team a headache with Fittock and Quick a very strong runners. Especially Conrad Q impressed with his speed and uncompromising defence work. In the centre Tanuvasa and Perese have strong games so far. Nigel T was exceptional against GPS. Number 15 will fall between Mitch Third and likes of Dalgleish or Adam Gauder.
From what I can see the chances of young Magnay to play in Canberra are close to null but he should be in the Aus Under 20 wider squad anyway.
Overall I have seen many contenders for place in Aus Under 20. I know the results of the championship are not the priority here but I hope that QLD team will perform much better that in 2014.

FrontRowFan

Herbert Moran (7)
I was looking back at some old posts:

Anderson was in the training squad in November and December but was cut in the first week of January. He played in no trial games.

Fair 'nuff Lee re Anderson (I knew he had been involved and thought he had been in some trials, but I bow to your superior notebook :)
But I'm 100% certain about Craig, and I know you've confirmed that elsewhere.

Great to watch them on Sat v Souths and Norths. The previous match reports have been pretty much spot on from my point of view from Lee, Charlie's Son Bob and TahsPark. Nice wrap-up guys, and it's looking good for the Nationals in Canberra.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
QLD under 20 preparation for the upcoming Championship has been hindered by bad weather and injuries. Especially the growing count of injured players has been worrying.
The chances for selection of Potgieter, Fox, MacMillan, Mafi and Jones are under threat - etc, etc.

Thanks for keeping us updated about the the Qld U20s It's bad news about the the injuries to the Qld U20s: it looks like the jinx of the senior side has visited the juniors.

Mafi has been dogged by injuries hasn't he? It's a pity because he's just the type of player that we need in Italy and to go further later on.

How was Harley Fox going before his injury? Have the Reds got rid of that fat around his waist that he had as a schoolboy last year? He's in a couple of photos here (he's the no.8) and you can see the handles:

rugby roo

Peter Burge (5)
Hans a very accurate report on trial games at Brighton on weekend.My friends were there and sent me an email report., bloody hell it is nearly exactly the same as yours.
they are junior rugby (under 20s) tragics and have been following this age group for years.
They notice the polish on players like A. Kellaway , H. Jones, S.Croke, M.Sandell from being exposed to Shute Shield Grades and NRC competition.who will be relied upon in forthcoming Canberra Nationals and they notice players like Short, Deegan and the big tall lock and C.Orr who also shone.
They are telling me it looks a better skilled and drilled outfit than last year!
They have never seen coaches at this level so passionate on the sideline.
Must be Cheika clones A good thing they thought.as their techniques and execution (mostly) against a very reasonable first grade outfit were very good.
They did drop a bit of ball which didnt hurt them luckily. They did say verry hot weather could be blamed but they offered another theory.
Balls!
just try catching a dry leather ball with sweaty hands! It sticks like you know what!.
Compare catching an acrylic faced ball with sweaty hands! He is right . He also believes "armless " jerseys exposing sweaty forearms dont help in recovery of a juggled ball, I reckon right again.
Ex school teachers they think they know everything , still.

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Hans a very accurate report on trial games at Brighton on weekend.My friends were there and sent me an email report., bloody hell it is nearly exactly the same as yours.
they are junior rugby (under 20s) tragics and have been following this age group for years.

I will confess to not having done to much following of the age group for years, however have paid a bit of attention over the past 2 years as these group of boys have left school and started to appear at SS level. truth be told, it is probably the more entertaining rugby going around, which always helps to peak the interest.

Regarding the stand out players, it is not surprising that multiple people saw those big names the same way, as they were very good, and were very much at home out on the field. What was surprising though, was the way the rest of the players complimented them, and the way the team worked as a unit, which is largely the reason they were able to knock off both Norths & Souths. Very impressive work! Also, the depth looks very good, the reserves/second half changes were just as good as the boys in the first half, which has to be a very positive sign for the coaching unit.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
What was surprising though, was the way the rest of the players complimented them, and the way the team worked as a unit, which is largely the reason they were able to knock off both Norths & Souths. Very impressive work!

The communication of the boys on the field was amazing.

I've seen hundreds of schoolboy and junior games and there is always a lot of noise and when I see an older guy like myself on the sideline a good conversation opener is always: "A bit noisier than our day, eh?"

Well, it just wasn't noise: most of it was on point and often it was like having a player-coach on the field, especially from the back as regards positioning of the players in the back line and defenders around the ruck.

And before the halves and afterwards, the players expressed their views - and it wasn't the same guys talking, but two or three different guys at each huddle.

Communication should not be a problem for the NSW U20s and I daresay that it will be the same for the two other Aussie teams.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Following on from @Lee Grant's summary at post 381:

@Lee Grant has listed 27 Names, many of which are at variance with my tipping list above. Congratulations to those lads on effectively making the cut. By all accounts they have really applied themselves diligently over the summer.

Of the 27, the School Association Breakdown is:
AAGPS: 17
CAS: 4
CHS: 3
CCC: 2
Qld GPS: 1
NSW Cnty Schools, AICES, ISA: 0
Note not all players were selected to represented their School Association, or if they were many were not in their School Association 1st XV, esp AAGPS.

Of the 27 listed, 22 attended National Schoolboys Championships:
NSW I: 10
NSW II: 6
Combined States: 5
Qld White: 1
Did not attend: 5

Australian Schoolboys Representation
14 represented Australian Schoolboys (11) or Schoolboys A (3). 13 were not selected to an ASRU representative team.

6 of the 27 are representing NSW U20 for the second time. 1 of the 2014 NSW U20's eligible for 2015 was not selected.

In terms of their Club Affiliation:
Randwick: 9
Sydney University: 7
Southern Districts: 2
Warringah: 2
Northern Suburbs: 1
Eastern Suburbs: 1
Eastwood: 1
NSW Country: 1
TBA: 1

23 of the 27 are turning 20 this year & will not be back in 2016 for U20s. 4 will be back in 2016 but, as 1 young man found out, previous selection as a 19 year old does not guarantee selection the following year.

7 of the 27 played Senior Grade Rugby last year, two (possibly 3) played NRC rugby, with one of those being on some form of professional Rugby contract.

The observations of last year's U20 squad essentially still apply.
Post School footy form is important. Of the 4 young'uns, 2 played Colts footy in 2014 as well as their CHS footy. All of those who played Grade Football as 18/19 year olds were selected.

Australian Schoolboy representation helps a bit but the batting average is about 0.5.

Attending National Schoolboys Champs is quite important, but even failing to be selected there that does not shut the door.

Being in a Colts Club that contests the Grand Final helps your chances, however not all of those selected for the Under 20's from the Colts Grand Final (15 - Wicks 8, Uni 7) were former ASRU "hired guns" (7 - Wicks 5, Uni 2).

It is heartening to hear almost no "my boy was robbed" posts that so frequently accompanied U20 selections pre-2014, and great to see current form rather than scrapbook form being rewarded.

From what my snouts are telling me, the net was cast very wide for the initial selections and all uninjured eligible folk got a fair go in front of the Selectors.
Those that didn't make the cut will be returning to their clubs as fitter and more experienced players, and that augurs well for them in the 2015 season.

I reckon that many of the 16 Wicks and Uni U20 players selected will be aspiring to get as many Grade games as possible when they are released from State duties, and the 10 that I anticipate will make the Aust U20s will not get much Colts time at all before the Jnr RWC is over. When they are released from National duties, that group will also be looking for lots of Grade, and NRC games. Sydney Colts 2015 is no forgone conclusion, but that talk is for another thread.

Linespeed

Sydney Middleton (9)
QLD under 20 preparation / hookers with the absence of Mafi and Andrew Manu are untested. .

going back a way in this thread....
The hooker called in to the Qld20s/GPS trial on Sat would be Josh Webb - UQ Colts 2015, Churchie Firsts 2014, Qld Reds U16 2013.
He was selected in Qld 2 Schoolboys last year & ruled out in Bne with concussion. Best of luck to all the 20s at Nationals.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Nice wrap up Hugh Jarse. Would be nice to get a similar summary of the other teams. Certainly is a good endorsement for the current pathways. The NRC really needs to be the vehicle to take these players through to the next level in the absence of any further rep opportunities beyond Super Rugby. I'm very happy to see its future secure for the next 6 seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reds3

Bob McCowan (2)
anyone know when the reds 20's squad is going to be announced? Anyone have a list of the team that was fielded against GPS?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NZ Under 20 Preparations are well underway

http://www.allblacks.com/News/26799/players-named-for-nz-under-20-camp

The following players have been selected to take part in a New Zealand Under 20 trial camp at the Massey University Sport and Rugby Institute from 5 to 9 March:

Forwards
Isileli Tu'ungafasi - Auckland
Morgan Poi - Wellington
Aidan Ross - Bay of Plenty
Tom Hill - Canterbury
Liam Polwart - Auckland
Ricky Riccitelli - Otago
Travis Taylor - Manawatu
Steven Misa - Waikato
Atunaisa Moli - Waikato
Blair Princep - Canterbury
Tau Koloamatangi - Waikato
Mitchell Dunshea - Canterbury
Hamish Dalzell * - Canterbury
Joshua Goodhue - Canterbury
Jamie Lane - Auckland
James Blackwell - Wellington
Ethan Blackadder - Tasman
Mitchell Jacobson - Waikato
Sam Godwin - Canterbury
Mitchell Karpik - Auckland
Dillon Hunt - Otago
Alex Fitzgerald - Otago
Teariki Ben-Nicholas - Wellington
Akira Ioane - Auckland
Joshua Dowsing - Waikato

Backs
Harrison Levien * - Waikato
Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi - Taranaki
Luke Campbell - Wellington
Sam Malcolm - Manawatu
Daniel Hollinshead - Bay of Plenty
Mitchell Hunt - Auckland
Fletcher Smith - Otago
Tinoai (TJ) Faine - Auckland
Jonathan Faauli - Canterbury
Jason Thomasen - Waikato
Jack Goodhue - Canterbury
Wes Goosen - Wellington
Pryor Collier - Auckland
Shaun Stevenson* - Waikato
Gavin Stark - Otago
George Bridge - Canterbury
Luteru Laulala - Canterbury
Nathaniel Apa - Canterbury
Jonah Lowe* - Hawkes Bay
Isaac Te Tamaki - Waikato
Jordon Trainor* - Waikato

NOTE: Unavailable for selection for this camp due to injury:

Henry Stowers - Wellington
Lisati Milo-Harris* - Auckland
Sam Nock* - Northland
Patelesio Tomkinson* - Otago
Chase Tiatia - Wellington
Reuben O'Neill - Taranaki
Sean Wainui - Taranaki
Fletcher Matthews - Tasman

NOTE: Unavailable for selection for this camp due to Investec Super Rugby duty
Leni Apisai* - Hurricanes
Geoffrey Cridge - Hurricanes
Blake Gibson - Blues
Otere Black - Hurricanes
Damian McKenzie - Chiefs
Anton Lienert-Brown - Chiefs
Tevita Li - Blues
Vincent Tavae-Aso - Hurricanes

NOTE: Unavailable for selection for this camp due to All Blacks Sevens duty
Rieko Ioane* - Auckland

* Indicates players who will also be eligible for selection in 2016

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Auckland has 33% of NZs population but only 18% of the make up on that total list. I don't know the origin of the players but Auckland seem under represented.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Nice wrap up Hugh Jarse. Would be nice to get a similar summary of the other teams. Certainly is a good endorsement for the current pathways. The NRC really needs to be the vehicle to take these players through to the next level in the absence of any further rep opportunities beyond Super Rugby. I'm very happy to see its future secure for the next 6 seasons.

Yeah it was a fine effort from Hugh. I find that analysis interesting.

But BH, the comparison with Qld would be a bit skewed because many boys leave school a year earlier than NSW lads; so more of them play Colts earlier than Sydney boys do. This means the average U18 and U19 player is more seasoned than their contemporaries south of the border.

So, it is just as well NSW has only four of the 26 who were at school last year—or five of 27 if you count Fifita, an alternate; and all five of them have either a rugby maturity or a physical one that excludes them from the shrinking violet category of player.

Many of us had a pie-in-the-sky ideas after the 2007 ARC that there should be an U19 comp in 2008 curtain-raiser games. We said this would provide an avenue for the cream of young players that was better than playing club Colts rugby, and Colts would be finished anyway.

We couldn't afford to pay them like the league U19s, but it would be an elite competition they could play in, and besides, there was the new JWC U20 competition starting up in 2008, and an U19 comp in 2008 would help in 2009 and thereafter.

I still think part of this is feasible in Brisbane and Sydney: arguably Canberra also.

If there is an NRC game in Sydney on any weekend there shouldn't be a problem having a curtain-raiser of Under 19s North v. South of the Harbour. Ditto for Brisbane and maybe for Canberra playing a visiting Sydney side.

This will help the States/ACT to pre-judge their Under 20 squad members for the following year and the training content, including opposing senior players, will do them no harm either.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
I was hoping Qld Country might tap into that thinking as well Lee. The boys, of which a few are at my club, enjoyed the experience tremendously in Adelaide and the results were quite good - only loss to Vic on the back of a couple if intercept tries which could be attributed to not being together a lot beforehand (one weekend in Townsville as a lead up - no trials, and a couple of players missing the first game because of the cyclone in Rocky). Unfortunately U19 rugby isn't strong in many Qld Country sub-unions, but it's still good to see an opportunity to mix it with the next generation of professional players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the Junior World Cup is still some time away but I'm already intrigued by our match up against South Africa. The Baby Boks like last year will have another monster forward pack, maybe even bigger. Thomas du Toit weighs in 128kgs and is already the starting loosehead prop for Sharks in Super Rugby. It will be interesting to see if he is released for the JWC by the Sharks. I expect that the other starting prop will be Ox Niche out of Free State - big but also very mobile.

Their locks will also test our boys, especially in the lineouts. JD Schickerling, who I thought was the best lock in last years tournament will return, however the poor bloke broke his neck playing for Western Province Under 21s about 10 months and is only getting back into training again. The other lock who will I expect to start is RG Synman. He's 204cm and weighs 110 kgs and is already in the Bulls Super Rugby squad at only 18.

However I have to say that their back-row is probably their strength. Jacques Vermeulen will return from last years team. He's 197cm but covers the field so well. Jean-Luc Du Preez will also return and I expect his twin brother, Daniel to also be there. And these boys are massive, they can cover both blindside and lock and are around 197cm and 110kgs. I think that the number 8 and captain will be a bloke by the name of Rikmas Bothma, he captained the SA Schools back in 2013 and is highly regarded.

The backs will be interesting. Both Pollard and the Kriel brothers have moved on and I think that if our forwards can match it with their pack, then I think we are a chance to knock them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.