• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
Yep there's a reason some crews were so far out in front. If you split your 2nd VIII and put them in as 1st and 2nd IV, then your real 1st and 2nd IVs are hardly tested when competing against 3rd and 4th from other schools.

behindtheshed how are you so sure that these crews were their 2nd VIII split into fours ?

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
behindtheshed how are you so sure that these crews were their 2nd VIII split into fours ?

Well, I have it on very good authority from someone who saw them up close. You'll observe, however, that I named nobody; nor am I nominating which school. I will say that it's not the first time crews have been deliberately entered in a division or two lower than their ability level. More than one school is guilty of that. In girls' rowing it is rampant, with one lower north shore school being a repeat offender for many years.

As I said in other posts, HOTParra is not my favourite race so couldn't care less really.......the real crews will have nowhere to hide at SIRC on November 14.

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
Well said behindtheshed. Have to admit as well, Head of the Parra isn't a real good way to gauge anything for the season. It would be nice however to see more schools enter it; I remember a few years ago it was Shore, Grammar, Newington and Kings. I don't think there would be anything more entertaining than an old school hit out over 5km with all 8 schools, but that's just my idea of fun.

I am very much looking forward to November 14, good to see how schools are looking at this stage of the season.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Well said behindtheshed. Have to admit as well, Head of the Parra isn't a real good way to gauge anything for the season. It would be nice however to see more schools enter it; I remember a few years ago it was Shore, Grammar, Newington and Kings. I don't think there would be anything more entertaining than an old school hit out over 5km with all 8 schools, but that's just my idea of fun.

I am very much looking forward to November 14, good to see how schools are looking at this stage of the season.

Well, for me the rolling start makes it uninspiring to watch. The thrill of racing is the progress of a whole field towards the finish, rather than a time trial. SIRC is a truthful venue where there shall be a reckoning.

oarsome

Allen Oxlade (6)
Long time forum lurker here,
At the Nepean on Saturday I did see a pair of eights from both Scots and Shore (and based on bladework they appeared to all be Senior eights), plus a contingent from Sydney rowing club (incl. some big players on the Australian rowing scene). if these are the senior eights from Shore and Scots then I would guess that neither school had non-fours rowers competing at HOTP.

But if any schools did stack their crews (which wouldn't be surprising) then it would be a poor sign for GPS rowing in general, as schools throw the rule book out the window for some early-season intimidation. anyway, not jumping to conclusions, just my thoughts.
-M

Yep! Shore & Scots senior 8's were training in sunny Penrith. Not too sure as to why a school would bother stacking senior 8's into fours for a regatta like the Head of the Parra?

L

LBA

I agree with BTS - I do not particularly like watching rolling starts. But I did enjoy Saturday for many reasons.

SRC hosted the HOR Parra and I am sure all the rowers that participated did not think it was meaningless. I think respect for all rowers and all Regattas should be mandatory.

Also I think people should be aware that schools will train in different zoot suits other than the ones they race in so unless you can identify blades you really do not know who is training and what crews they are.

What fascinates me - is that the Regatta course map was up on the Rowing NSW website for the world to see - and yet some coxes did not know where the hell they were going - they took some very long detours. How hard can it be to print the course map out and to study it - the coaches need to include this in their training.

I sincerely think that coaches should also teach the rowers what to do if over taking or coming close to other crews in open water racing. Some of the driving techniques for want of a better description were very interesting on Saturday.

I also agree with BTS - the first race of the AAGPS Rowing season is fast approaching - there will be no where to hide or run - just a 2km course to race. I really don't care what crew each young man is in - as long as they improve over the season and are happy with their efforts and have some fun.

GPS Rowing is a small part of the rowing world - a special part no doubt but still a small part. It would be great to see all the young men join clubs and continue rowing after they leave school but the majority don't.

rowerforlife

Peter Burge (5)
I think that it is just a small test for some schools with the HotParra. They want to try themselves out against the other schools. But they will definitely regret trying to scare off other schools in this race if they don't succeed at SIRC.

rowerforlife

Peter Burge (5)
From the looks of Shore at the Head of the Parra, we could see domination from the 1st IV down to their 4th IV. Anyone know anything happening in the fours at other school? Newington seemed quite weak, getting beaten by High.

rowerforlife

Peter Burge (5)
it is also interesting to note that High entered two quads and their 2nd Year 10 VIII won against Newington and Grammar. Obviously, this seems like a mini competition, because the rowing schools will quickly take over at SIRC.

SBrow

Larry Dwyer (12)
From the looks of Shore at the Head of the Parra, we could see domination from the 1st IV down to their 4th IV. Anyone know anything happening in the fours at other school? Newington seemed quite weak, getting beaten by High.

As Liam Robertson said earlier, King's fours look tidy, new coaches obviously working well. Scots fours are looking better than previous years, but as usual, probably not quite up to par

rowerforlife

Peter Burge (5)
How are Joeys going in the fours, after a dominant HotR last season? Scots are looking good this season, but it is still too early to tell.

oarsome

Allen Oxlade (6)
i was on the Parramatta all mornings and did not see any shore viii's so they potentially could have split their viii's into iv's however i don't know why any school would do this a week out from the first regatta. Seat Racing perhaps? or just the old stern iv vs bow iv!

This chat will be giving the Shore fours a great confidence boost!

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Considering the HOTParra is a time trial (and preseason anyway) as compared to the regular season 'races', is crew substitution for this event a real thing anyway?
If a school did swap crews, who cares really, the point is probably not to draw conclusions about times rowed at this event.

OarsomeFoursome101

Frank Row (1)
Rest assured that Shore did not stack any crews at this HOTParra, both senior eights were training out on the Nepean and the remaining fours rowers were competing on the Parra

Adam Robertson

Frank Row (1)
Why do some many of the GPS eights decide not to enter the HoTParra (well at least not in there correct boats), when it is only half an hour out of their Saturday training. Surely there is something to gain from more race experience under pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.