• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bow seat

Frank Nicholson (4)
This page's predictions and speculation are certainly interesting, but i dont see what exactly they are based on. The assumption that Newington will do well this year seems especially unsubstantiated and given the results of previous years it is frankly impossible that they will knock off such strong rowing schools like Joey's and SHORE.

With that in mind i'll give my own prediction - based off the crews i've seen out training and the results of previous years.(but there hasn't been a single race yet so this is still speculative)

1st - Shore with an outstanding yr 10 VII which smashed the comp last year by open water every race and a solid 2nd placed 2nd VII Shore have the best prospects. combined with a rowing culture which consistently produces results they should be the favourites

2nd- Joeys a very strong yr 10 eight and the best rowing program at any of the schools. with 5 morning water sessions a week they will do very strongly.

3rd- Scots having produced solid results and a huge rowing budget scots has a lot of potential. They won the 2nd eight last year and placed second in the first 8. Scots no doubt has a good program and the boys have the work ethic to match

4th- Kings, with an incredibly young first eight last year with a 5- 6 yr 11s in the first eight and a 3rd place 1st yr 10 eight king have good prospects. However with their lackluster performance over recent years i dont think their coach and culture is on par with joeys or shore.

5th St Ignatius with a mediocre yr 10 VIII and nothing special coming up i cant see this being the year Iggies break the podium. happy to be proved wrong but there don't seem to be signs of anything extraordinary. with the last win way back in 1973 its been a hell of a time since they last won

6th Grammar - this is not going to be the year for the boys in black. After a strong crew last year which ranked 3rd over the season but dissapointed on the day, this year is probably going to be about rebuilding. Im told they have a large percentage of year 11's but two freaky year 12s with sub 620 erg scores and the scull scores to match. Don't write them off as grammar crews usually improve over the season but i don't really think they can make the podium.

7th Newington. I know everyone is talking them up so much but it seems to be completely groundless. Their yr 10 eight was very weak and finished behind grammar in most races. Further newington dont have anything unique that will help them make the podium. no freak down at 6;10 or anyone who has the expierience at rowing at a competitive level. They were out sculling the other day and were doing some pieces. This could have been a not top groub but they were getting blitzed by some Grammar boys. Anyway, i dont think the so called super coach isnthat much better then all the others (esp Shirlaw from Joeys) and even if he was the results will come in a few years time not right away.

8th - High, uncompetitive trend should continue.

My first post on this page in a while, and why not get back on it with a placing prediction.

I think you have a fairly accurate guess for the podium however I have to disagree with you on two fronts, first St Ignatius, I think they will be much more competitive this year than people seem to be giving them credit for.

Also Newington 7th? I mean even I find this just a little bit ridiculous, the boys from Stanmore may not be up for the top prize this year but to rule them completely out of it is quite unjustified, I would've placed them at 4th, maybe 5th at worst. However as always you're entitled to your opinion and so am I, guess we'll have to see how this one plays out.

Also LBA don't be shy, you can come out now the season has almost kicked off :p

Bow seat out

bow seat

Frank Nicholson (4)
Wow very harsh analysis on Newington, with Morgan back I do think they can pull out a decent result maybe a 5th or 4th. I think Shore to have the favorites title as I've heard some crazy erg times they have been puing and the junior eight from last year was better then some schools 2nd Eights.I also hear that the famous Elliot Bertenetti is coaching the 1st four now, that be confirmed?
Deez Ebola Nuts out

Agree with your Newington prediction "Deez ebola nuts", however i'm not sure about the infamous Elliot bertenetti?

Last time I heard he was pursing his career in triathlons and his coaching had taken a back seat, however I assume you have it on good authority so you're probably right.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Wow very harsh analysis on Newington, with Morgan back I do think they can pull out a decent result maybe a 5th or 4th. I think Shore to have the favorites title as I've heard some crazy erg times they have been puing and the junior eight from last year was better then some schools 2nd Eights.I also hear that the famous Elliot Bertenetti is coaching the 1st four now, that be confirmed?
Deez Ebola Nuts out

What are you smoking, DEN? Yeah Newington's 1st Year 10 Eight, which placed 6th at HOTR was definitely faster than some schools' 2nd eight.........oh. Actually only High. Let the winning streak begin.

Adam Robertson

Frank Row (1)
Lets all be honest, Saint Ignatius is destined for fourth place, yet again. As per usual they will peak early in the season and not get much faster towards Head of the River. This is a tradition that has been going on for the past forty years.

Interested Academic

Frank Row (1)
Agree with BTS on predicitons being way off,

interesting also DEN - if you're going to suggest someone is infamous
a good first step would be spelling names correctly.

also as current Newington students its probably best to refrain from commenting on public forums lest a staff member figured it out.

School policies and all....

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
Sorry for my absence on the forum, I've been busy pursuing my coaching career at a school I cannot name.

However, I have read all this chat and would like to give a prediction for who will take the cake this year. I am also predicting this crew to be somewhere around the 6min flat mark at the first SIRC regatta if conditions are favourable.

1st, Shore: With a 1st VIII last year which came 3rd, and probably should have come 2nd, a 2nd VIII which came 2nd, and a 1st Junior VIII pulling a 6:10, I question the intelligence of anyone doubting Jennings to not pull through with the goods. I've already heard that Jennings is putting in the incoming year 10/11s over some of the veteran Year 11/12s, I think that shows you how talented this incoming year is.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Sorry for my absence on the forum, I've been busy pursuing my coaching career at a school I cannot name.

However, I have read all this chat and would like to give a prediction for who will take the cake this year. I am also predicting this crew to be somewhere around the 6min flat mark at the first SIRC regatta if conditions are favourable.

1st, Shore: With a 1st VIII last year which came 3rd, and probably should have come 2nd, a 2nd VIII which came 2nd, and a 1st Junior VIII pulling a 6:10, I question the intelligence of anyone doubting Jennings to not pull through with the goods. I've already heard that Jennings is putting in the incoming year 10/11s over some of the veteran Year 11/12s, I think that shows you how talented this incoming year is.

Logical, reasoned and, I suspect, accurate. You are right on all counts. I will only say that the top 3 will be close all may duel all season. And let's not forget what can happen to an unbackable favourite(Scotch at nationals this year.)

N

notthefbi

Deez Ebola Nuts out

deed ebola nuts,

Please refrain from referring to people by name on this thread. Also, don't spread rumors, however harmless your intentions.

oarsome

Allen Oxlade (6)
On the parra last Saturday I saw the shore 8 with a double tandem rigging in the middle of the boat! Something that i haven't seen at schoolboy level for quite some time.. interesting to see how that pans out for them

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
Just got back from viewing the Kings vs Newington match race over the Downer Cup.

It was a clean sweep for Kings, winning 5 from 5 (1st 8, 2nd 8, 1st 4, 2nd 4, 3rd 4), with crews starting from inside Homebush bay and finishing at Kissing Point Wharf.

The Kings IV's reminded me of a time a few years ago when they were dominant, often winning each IV race at HotR, but still it is too early in the season to place bets yet.

The 2nd VIII race was one of the more enjoyable races to watch. This was neck and neck until about the last 500m when Kings pulled away to snatch a 1 boat length lead and win. The Kings 2nd VIII looked like a very powerful crew moving the boat nicely and controlled, despite the not so favourable windy conditions on the river.

The 1st VIII race was a bit of a one sided affair, with Kings winning by about 12 seconds, or 4 boat lengths. I was very impressed with the catches of the Kings crew, which for this early in the season were very clean and quick to enter the water. They, like their 2nd VIII rowed with both length and power to give them a winning edge over Newington.

A terrific start for the Kings Head Coach, Andrew Cox, reclaiming the Downer Cup and a great way to start the racing season ahead.

As for Morgan and his gang, it seems to be back to the drawing board.

deez ebola nuts

Peter Burge (5)
Just got back from viewing the Kings vs Newington match race over the Downer Cup.

It was a clean sweep for Kings, winning 5 from 5 (1st 8, 2nd 8, 1st 4, 2nd 4, 3rd 4), with crews starting from inside Homebush bay and finishing at Kissing Point Wharf.

The Kings IV's reminded me of a time a few years ago when they were dominant, often winning each IV race at HotR, but still it is too early in the season to place bets yet.

The 2nd VIII race was one of the more enjoyable races to watch. This was neck and neck until about the last 500m when Kings pulled away to snatch a 1 boat length lead and win. The Kings 2nd VIII looked like a very powerful crew moving the boat nicely and controlled, despite the not so favourable windy conditions on the river.

The 1st VIII race was a bit of a one sided affair, with Kings winning by about 12 seconds, or 4 boat lengths. I was very impressed with the catches of the Kings crew, which for this early in the season were very clean and quick to enter the water. They, like their 2nd VIII rowed with both length and power to give them a winning edge over Newington.

A terrific start for the Kings Head Coach, Andrew Cox, reclaiming the Downer Cup and a great way to start the racing season ahead.

As for Morgan and his gang, it seems to be back to the drawing board.

great little write up "Liam Robertson", it was a disappointing for all the newington crews considering the hype around the return of Morgan but its a long long season and there is much time to improve.
deezebolanuts out

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Judging from head of Parra this morning,could be a VERY long season for a few schools.

Normally loathe this race but today was interesting and the results are up on the RNSW site for a change. Looks like there might be a few promotions and demotions on the cards this week. Shore 3rd Four came in slightly quicker than 2nd four; Joeys 4th four absolutely smoked the 3rd Four and pipped their 2nd Four;clearly New 1st Four had a Barry Crocker.

oarsome

Allen Oxlade (6)
Results from the Schoolboy Fours from the Head of the Parra this morning.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-31 at 4.00.58 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-31 at 4.00.58 pm.png
    188.7 KB · Views: 286

LuvToRo

Chris McKivat (8)
Shore seem to be the school to beat in the fours so far (can't comment on their eights yet) which is no real surprise if you ask me. Was never aware of the Newington and Kings match race actually existing. I would really appreciate it if some could enlighten me on this match race. Thanks LTR

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
Shore seem to be the school to beat in the fours so far (can't comment on their eights yet) which is no real surprise if you ask me. Was never aware of the Newington and Kings match race actually existing. I would really appreciate it if some could enlighten me on this match race. Thanks LTR

Hi LTR,

I wrote up a little summary a few posts ago.

If you would like to know any more details please feel free to message me, I'd be happy to enlighten you on the race as much as possible.

Thanks,
LR

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
These results would be interesting if the boats entered were actually the crews as advertised.
They were not.

Yep there's a reason some crews were so far out in front. If you split your 2nd VIII and put them in as 1st and 2nd IV, then your real 1st and 2nd IVs are hardly tested when competing against 3rd and 4th from other schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.