• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Talk about racial stereotypes. I've known good asian rugby players in the NSW school system.
Eddie Jones is half japanese. They played a super 18 game in Singapore on the weekend.
Otherwise what Cyclo said

Grammar say not: they claim that very few of the boys who get in would get into the selective high schools.
Not all of their scholarship holders are in the top class either.
Anyway no one is going to change it.
I hear tonight that there are only 30 boys playing ruby in opens and that some boys who toured England in September/October last year have pulled out. They didnt like getting up at 6am to train.
Some of them are rowers.
This is the type of crap you are up against.
@IS that's not the point. Nothing about racial stereotypes. Academic selection will change the demographic. Look at High, look at other selective schools such as James Ruse and Hurlstone. Big populations on non Anglo students. These are supposed to be Agricultural High schools. I think most students attending now days have little interest in Agriculture. Grammar has chosen to pursue the academic excellence path and that will have an effect on the Sporting field.

By the way, I did watch the Sunwolves on Saturday. Sorry that they went down as they played so well first half.

llonzy

Bob McCowan (2)
I reckon non gps schools who hold rowers back from the senior eights are doing the right thing by selecting boys in their class or level as long as they are not medal chasing.Throwing them into senior eights when they are not ready doesn't do them any favours. Grammar and high could do the same thing in the second eight and fours based in current form. I accept both schools compete reasobly well in the first eights. Not an issue there.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

High have been consistently doing better and better and over the last 2 years have been only a few seconds off the pack. Their Year 10's are also beating crews now. Wouldn't be surprised if, in a few years it'll be Grammar getting an upset loss from High

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
High have been consistently doing better and better and over the last 2 years have been only a few seconds off the pack. Their Year 10's are also beating crews now. Wouldn't be surprised if, in a few years it'll be Grammar getting an upset loss from High
Why can't grammar and high be a shot at a placing here and there? That's what it should be about - fighting hard for a shot at a placing or even a win. Shore out in front and high grammar out the back every time is not good educational practice. This means crews selected on their ability to match with other crews. Not getting flogged by 60 sec.

I take your point about high improving but still doesnt solve the underlying problem. In an ideal world we should be able to throw a blanket over the finishers.

llonzy

Bob McCowan (2)
Why can't grammar and high be a shot at a placing here and there? That's what it should be about - fighting hard for a shot at a placing or even a win. Shore out in front and high grammar out the back every time is not good educational practice. This means crews selected on their ability to match with other crews. Not getting flogged by 60 sec.

I take your point about high improving but still doesnt solve the underlying problem. In an ideal world we should be able to throw a blanket over the finishers.

I agree but I do think that the Year 7's from High and Grammar are discouraged from doing rowing due to the flogging they receive every year. As they consistently improve, more people will be encouraged into doing it as nobody enjoys losing but everybody likes to win

rowerforlife

Peter Burge (5)
High has definitely been improving over the years, and are overtaking Scots, Newington and Grammar in the junior quads. Grammar is slipping behind fast, as is Scots (who failed to have their Yr 9 quads turn up at any races this year). Newington is inconsistent, but can get in front at times.
On the topic of ethnicity demographics at Grammar and High, yes there is an influx of Asian students (particularly at High), but that does not stop them from winning volleyball, basketball and the occasional race in their junior quads. High had quite a few wins at the Newington Regatta at H&C, with several seconds. Their Yr 9 Quads seem promising for the junior VIIIs next season, with their top crews often being only 10 seconds behind the leaders. High is improving steadily, and are looking at taking out Grammar and Newington (as they have been in recent times) gaining fast on Kings, even beating them sometimes, and moving up to the front against Shore, Joeys and Riverview. These might be their Yr 8 and Yr 9 quads, but there is a lot of promise for High's future in the next 3-4 years.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I agree but I do think that the Year 7's from High and Grammar are discouraged from doing rowing due to the flogging they receive every year. As they consistently improve, more people will be encouraged into doing it as nobody enjoys losing but everybody likes to win
Totally agree

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
High has definitely been improving over the years, and are overtaking Scots, Newington and Grammar in the junior quads. Grammar is slipping behind fast, as is Scots (who failed to have their Yr 9 quads turn up at any races this year). Newington is inconsistent, but can get in front at times.
On the topic of ethnicity demographics at Grammar and High, yes there is an influx of Asian students (particularly at High), but that does not stop them from winning volleyball, basketball and the occasional race in their junior quads. High had quite a few wins at the Newington Regatta at H&C, with several seconds. Their Yr 9 Quads seem promising for the junior VIIIs next season, with their top crews often being only 10 seconds behind the leaders. High is improving steadily, and are looking at taking out Grammar and Newington (as they have been in recent times) gaining fast on Kings, even beating them sometimes, and moving up to the front against Shore, Joeys and Riverview. These might be their Yr 8 and Yr 9 quads, but there is a lot of promise for High's future in the next 3-4 years.
What about a hor victory for high? Would be a massive boost for rowing like the grammar win in 2011.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
How does High finance their boats?

Have to the think they would be at a big disadvantage compared to the private schools

Back in my day Shore were shelling out for boats the same as Olympic 8, (the Lc Robson. Exact copy of the boat taken to Munich, I thinks. Turned out to be a failure, school boys not big enough to power it)

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)

Have to the think they would be at a big disadvantage compared to the private schools

Back in my day Shore were shelling out for boats the same as Olympic 8, (the Lc Robson. Exact copy of the boat taken to Munich, I thinks. Turned out to be a failure, school boys not big enough to power it)
Its the rower not the boat that counts.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
High do have a disadvantage in terms of funding new equipment. Having said that, all it takes is a bit of lateral thinking - sharing facilities/boats with another school or forming an alliance with a club.

Grammar's claim that none of their students would gain entry to selective schools is laughable. They only make that claim because the results of the test are not made public so it cannot be disproved. The reason I know it must be wrong is the number of students I have known personally who have been offered a selective place (after crushing it in the test) but have actually enrolled in a private school by choice. It would be an extraordinary statistical anomaly if, of the top achievers from the selective schools test, NONE chose Grammar!!!! I would suspect that in the Venn diagram I will one day construct on this topic, (retirement, PhD etc) the Grammar/selectives overlap would be substantial.

I know it's a complex equation which leads to HOTR success, and I try to avoid reductionist thinking, but if you think about the little boys who come in at Year 7 level, it can be argued that at that point they are all equal. A huge number of GPS boys have attended primary school together in the inner west, northern suburbs and eastern suburbs. None would have rowed or coxed before except in rare cases. So surely it's as simple as: when these twelve year olds arrive at their GPS school, what do they encounter as the prevailing culture of sport in that school? and specifically, the culture of rowing? Therein, I believe, lies the answer.

llonzy

Bob McCowan (2)

High have a foundation called the High Foundation. I believe it is them who also funded for the building of the Sydney High sheds. I saw this year at Head of the River, both the Sydney High 1st VIII and Junior VIII received new Arrows which Croker himself drove down to deliver. As High do better and better, more funding will go into the system but currently High are stuck rowing in Sykes while other schools have Hudson and Empacher.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
High have a foundation called the High Foundation. I believe it is them who also funded for the building of the Sydney High sheds. I saw this year at Head of the River, both the Sydney High 1st VIII and Junior VIII received new Arrows which Croker himself drove down to deliver. As High do better and better, more funding will go into the system but currently High are stuck rowing in Sykes while other schools have Hudson and Empacher.
From then Foundation website (also had a recollection that the High Club is involved - albeit only a social club since sale of licenced premise - became the Taxi Club IIRC)

The Foundation was incorporated in 1986 and acquired the School Council assets. It manages the Outterside Centre at Abbotsford and the Fairland Pavilion at the McKay playing fields in Centennial Park.

the completion of Stage II of the Abbotsford project with loan funds made available by The High Club;
https://shsfoundation.org.au/fdn-history

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Grammar's claim that none of their students would gain entry to selective schools is laughable. They only make that claim because the results of the test are not made public so it cannot be disproved. The reason I know it must be wrong is the number of students I have known personally who have been offered a selective place (after crushing it in the test) but have actually enrolled in a private school by choice. It would be an extraordinary statistical anomaly if, of the top achievers from the selective schools test, NONE chose Grammar!!!! I would suspect that in the Venn diagram I will one day construct on this topic, (retirement, PhD etc) the Grammar/selectives overlap would be substantial.
This argument sounds plausible.
Until you realise:
1 Grammar doesn't say "none" would it says most wouldn't.
2 That the outcome is not a random event: one choice costs $30+k p.a. and the other is free and that immediately means you are not dealing in statistics but choices and options.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Predictions for Sunday's Schoolboy VIII result, anyone? Or are we waiting for the repechage before committing?

Interesting to note the personnel in the NSW Youth VIII. Despite claims on this thread that most GPS rowers fade away and don't continue rowing beyond school, the youth eight has six ex-GPS rowers. The other two went to Catholic school and only one (Schramko) came up through club rather than school rowing. So in 2016 at least, the post-GPS picture is looking good.

In the NSW Women's Youth, it's a similar story. All but one have come through excellent school rowing programs and have continued to row at club level and beyond.

Major Rennie

Herbert Moran (7)
Shame that Melbourne Grammar aren't there as probably one of four crews who could win the race. Will have to be a very good row to beat Shore this year. Their 2nd VIII could even give the podium a nudge though suspect Nudgee, Joeys and of course Scotch will push the boys from North Sydney.

Just curious, how has Scotch managed to compete and Melbourne Grammar aren't given the clash with their HOTR. Possibly shows how serious that school is about rowing more than arguably any other school (along with Shore).

Will be their 3rd race at SIRC this year so would say is very disruptive to the boys studies.....

MR

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Shame that Melbourne Grammar aren't there as probably one of four crews who could win the race. Will have to be a very good row to beat Shore this year. Their 2nd VIII could even give the podium a nudge though suspect Nudgee, Joeys and of course Scotch will push the boys from North Sydney.

Just curious, how has Scotch managed to compete and Melbourne Grammar aren't given the clash with their HOTR. Possibly shows how serious that school is about rowing more than arguably any other school (along with Shore).

Will be their 3rd race at SIRC this year so would say is very disruptive to the boys studies...

MR

Scotch are in Melbourne for HOR tomorrow and then back Sunday. Have 2 Empachers.
Interesting to see Scots and Newington using 1st 8 boys in the fours - still seem some pace off Auggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.