• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Schools rowing

Who will win?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I hope we're not on a return trip to Snoresville - back to the days where Shore crosses the line a length ahead of everyone else and the real competition is for 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

My early prediction of a Scots win seemed rational based on their 2015 performance but their season just got worse and worse as it went on. Tears of a ranga.

Riverview have broken through and could be looking at a big upswing. MD and his 2nd VIII coach are polar opposites in coaching style and personality but seem to balance each other out. Potentially they may be able to convert the junior talent into senior depth which has been a problem for many years.

Joeys were still up there in every division and with strong Year 10 VIIIs and quite a few newbies in the 1st VIII it will be interesting to watch how they approach next season. There's no doubt that last year's win was like poking a hornet's nest - they got Shore very very upset so it was inevitable that yesterday's results would come out the way they did.

King's, Newington, Joeys, View and Shore all have access to great resources, both human and material. Any of them has the capacity to excel in rowing. Clearly Shore shed makes choices in preparation for HOTR which other schools are not prepared to make.

In 2016-17 I really hope Rowing NSW figures out a simple, quick way of checking ID for each seat in a boat as they line up at the start. And I'd love to see more of what we had a glimpse of last season: lots of different schools up in the results, not just one dominating all season.
Agree, everyone wants to see a competition.

I now have an appreciation of how Joeys must feel when they win every grade in rugby.

What makes great sporting contests great is the fact there is a CONTEST

A result like yesterday should be a very rare thing. Once in 30 years.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Grammar:

If you want to compete in sport at the same level as the best comprehensive schools in the country, then drop your academic selectivity and reopen your boarding houses.

Academic selection will never, ever be dropped there; but I agree that boarding is key to many schools' success in sport.

I also think it's possible to allocate a set number of enrolments where, after the academic test has been passed, other criteria are met. In other words, your Year 6 boy could compete for one of 20 "all-rounder" places and thus leapfrog over others who qualified on academics alone. Maybe Grammar already do this up to a point anyway, but willingness to excel in sport needs to be back on the table. Oh and Boo Radley should go back behind the door.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I hope we're not on a return trip to Snoresville - back to the days where Shore crosses the line a length ahead of everyone else and the real competition is for 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

My early prediction of a Scots win seemed rational based on their 2015 performance but their season just got worse and worse as it went on. Tears of a ranga.

Riverview have broken through and could be looking at a big upswing. MD and his 2nd VIII coach are polar opposites in coaching style and personality but seem to balance each other out. Potentially they may be able to convert the junior talent into senior depth which has been a problem for many years.

Joeys were still up there in every division and with strong Year 10 VIIIs and quite a few newbies in the 1st VIII it will be interesting to watch how they approach next season. There's no doubt that last year's win was like poking a hornet's nest - they got Shore very very upset so it was inevitable that yesterday's results would come out the way they did.

King's, Newington, Joeys, View and Shore all have access to great resources, both human and material. Any of them has the capacity to excel in rowing. Clearly Shore shed makes choices in preparation for HOTR which other schools are not prepared to make.

In 2016-17 I really hope Rowing NSW figures out a simple, quick way of checking ID for each seat in a boat as they line up at the start. And I'd love to see more of what we had a glimpse of last season: lots of different schools up in the results, not just one dominating all season.
Cant see anyone challenging shore in the near future. They dominated everything at hor. Sad state of affairs for other crews. Great for shore.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Grammar:

If you want to compete in sport at the same level as the best comprehensive schools in the country, then drop your academic selectivity and reopen your boarding houses.

I understand that the Headmaster at Grammar is retiring (at the end of this year?), possibly the last opportunity for Grammar to turns things around and appoint someone to the role who has some interest is sport without detracting from the academic in any significant way.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Academic selection will never, ever be dropped there; but I agree that boarding is key to many schools' success in sport.

I also think it's possible to allocate a set number of enrolments where, after the academic test has been passed, other criteria are met. In other words, your Year 6 boy could compete for one of 20 "all-rounder" places and thus leapfrog over others who qualified on academics alone. Maybe Grammar already do this up to a point anyway, but willingness to excel in sport needs to be back on the table. Oh and Boo Radley should go back behind the door.

Grammar already have the ability to do this. Unlike High, who have to take their Year 7 enrolment based solely on the selective schools test, Grammar can select whoever they want and it's up to them what weight they put on their entrance exam.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Grammar already have the ability to do this. Unlike High, who have to take their Year 7 enrolment based solely on the selective schools test, Grammar can select whoever they want and it's up to them what weight they put on their entrance exam.

I can't see them changing. They've been doing it this way for some time, and are over-subscribed for entry to senior school, so I doubt they'd go down that path.

llonzy

Bob McCowan (2)
Cant see anyone challenging shore in the near future. They dominated everything at hor. Sad state of affairs for other crews. Great for shore.

I agree, they dominated the Year 10's this year as well with the 1st Junior VIII setting a new record time in the Junior VIII's race I believe. Even better than the crew that went undefeated last year and had 4 of the rowers transition straight into the 1st VIII, above many Year 12's

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I agree, they dominated the Year 10's this year as well with the 1st Junior VIII setting a new record time in the Junior VIII's race I believe. Even better than the crew that went undefeated last year and had 4 of the rowers transition straight into the 1st VIII, above many Year 12's
Can't believe other crews cant challenge shores dominance in at least one race. Joeys did ok for a few seasons. Someone needs to step up.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So following that line of thought, what effect did the Lambert instability have on the Scots performance this season? Is that why they deteriorated so much?

Dr L has been at Bellevue Hill for a few years now and his impact on the school illustrates the point.

The performance of the crews this year would have not been impacted by the instability this year. But, the overall performance of TSC at sport in the past 7 or 8 years could be said to be overwhelmingly due to his policies.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Dr L has been at Bellevue Hill for a few years now and his impact on the school illustrates the point.

The performance of the crews this year would have not been impacted by the instability this year. But, the overall performance of TSC at sport in the past 7 or 8 years could be said to be overwhelmingly due to his policies.
He must be under huge pressure. From the board the church the parents and the media. Moat likely will end in tears.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Under the pump. About to resign and then changed his mind. God can't help him.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Grammar:

Grammar only ever had one boarding house and that was at Coogee.
It was closed in 1976.
Since then they have won 2 HOTRs to View's 0, Joeys' 1, Scots' 1.
I don't see the availability of a boarding house influencing rowing - particularly when it was at Coogee.
I may be wrong but the school will not compete if to compete they need to sacrifice academic time - including summer holiday time when year 12 students are expected to be preparing for their mid year exams - which they have just had and which ended in the week of the HOTR.
Academic selectivity per se has nothing to do with it: the school has been academically selective since the early 70's.
Academic selectivity does mean, however, that many old boys decide (often if not usually wrongly) that their male offspring will not make the cut. This has the effect of virtually eliminating old boy input into the running of the school and negates any clamour by old boys to produce sporting results consistent with (in many cases imagined) past glories.
This ethos is self perpetuating in that the parents who perceive the value in this sort of education tend not to be ex wallabies (despite the number of Wallaby captains it has produced).

Status
Not open for further replies.