• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 SA Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Given the state of South African rugby i'd be outsourcing both coaching and administrative staff. An objective eye in a few areas would really help.

Failing to nurture Jantjies and turn him from the second best super rugby 10 into an international standard 10 is a fucking crime. What Australia wouldn't give for another 10 of his talent.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
And before Jantjies was Boschoff, now also in Europe.

From all appearances though, Goosen is being a goose.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Western Province Rugby (Pty) Limited has been put into liquidation & consequently both Western Province & the Stormers are up for sale:

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/western-province-stormers-to-be-sold/

What happens if they can't find a buyer or the new owner(s) can't make it any more viable than the previous lot? With SARU so broke they can't afford to fire Cootzee they can't come to the rescue even to the extent they did at Eastern Province, I wouldn't have thought.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
These things are very tiring to the fan of SA rugby.

We should note however that the Union is not impacted so WP "rugby" continues. In deed it is WPRU that has sought successfully to wrap up the professional wing that runs the Stormers.

SARU requires a separate legal entity from the Union to own and operate the Franchise, somewhat like the arrangements with the Waratahs Ltd in NSW. In this case the Union has held massive majority rights (75% if I read it right). Wrapping up the Stormers is a method to aleviate themselves from the poor commercial contracts that the Stormers entered into. Largely around the third party having advertising rights.

WPRU had a choice to step in directly and live with those obligations. Or to wind it up, effectively stepping in without the albatross around their necks. Legal basis seems shakey to me but was supported in the courts, I doubt Aeris the advertising co will have funds to seek appelate review.

So thumbs up to SARU for requiring arrangements that protect the Union. This has failed previously in at least one CC union.

Thumbs up to the WPRU for taking definitive action once push came to shove.

And a big thumbs down to an apparent lack of governance to properly manage and protect the i terests of rugby during the day to day commercial decissions. As usual it is not rugby skills that has forced this.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The only way forward for SA is to sell off the Super Rugby franchises to private investors. Matter of fact, sell the provinces as well. Stop corrupt fat cats who have no commercial interests from bleeding the game dry.

The Unions are all corrupt, incompetent and financially ruined. This will not change.

Sell the lot. Lock stock and barrel. Fire sale.

All the broadcast money gets stolen and wasted by incompetent administrators who have no business savvy. At least give the franchises a chance by someone with a brain running them. Oh and SARU will be held accountable by people who they can't pay off to go away e.g. smaller Unions.

But all that will be done is a few band-aids here and there. The gravy train will continue while the Unions are on their knees and the game falls apart.

WP has filed for bankruptcy. Who is next? Bulls? Sharks? Probably not far off.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Blue, I would have thought that the money leakage starts when privateers get involved. IE the start of the problem not a panacea. SARU currently considering allowing the sale up to 74% of the Provincial Unions seems to me a big step toward serious issues around cash.

Governance must surely be the first step.

Stormers look stronger now than before the winding up of the commercial arm.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Blue, I would have thought that the money leakage starts when privateers get involved. IE the start of the problem not a panacea. SARU currently considering allowing the sale up to 74% of the Provincial Unions seems to me a big step toward serious issues around cash.

Governance must surely be the first step.

Stormers look stronger now than before the winding up of the commercial arm.

Well the money has leaked and for the most part it is as good as gone.

Have to try something.

If the status quo continues the game will be destroyed at the pro level in SA. It is run by incompetent, gravy train riding fat cats.

What's the alternative?

Governance? Sure. As long as you line my pockets I'll govern in any way you want me to.

The system is rotten to the core. Any change will be a good change.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Don't watch this whilst having breakfast.

The line dance seriously takes me back to my early 20's, feels like something slightly crass from the eighties that would have the SJWs up in arms in Aus today.

Wonder if you can binge stream Benny Hill these days?

If it works, go Bulls!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Well the money has leaked and for the most part it is as good as gone.

Have to try something.

If the status quo continues the game will be destroyed at the pro level in SA. It is run by incompetent, gravy train riding fat cats.

What's the alternative?

Governance? Sure. As long as you line my pockets I'll govern in any way you want me to.

The system is rotten to the core. Any change will be a good change.

I think your point is very valid and has a lot of merit. If you have a look in Europe for example most financially healthy teams are privately operated. The governance forces the owner / operator (depending if its ownership pf licencing arrangements) to keep the team viable of they suffer personally financially. Its similar to what the Kiwi have seen thus why some of their Super Rugby franchises operate under licencing agreements.

It frustrates me that in parts of Rugby they are yet to realise what most professional sport globally know; that players and coaches, just like the local club committee members who have end up on boards and the like, have no business acumen nor sports management experience and mostly are operating on a deadly combination of personal ego fed by their power, ignorance as they think they know what they are doing, and incompetence because they cant see the damage they do - and as we often see will passionately defend their position at the expense of their club and bring it down.

Successful business management is usually not a democracy. Yet rugby administers in SA and Australia at most levels believe it is. Here in Australia you need only look at the Shute Shield. If business need money they need to work out how to raise capital. In Australian (and I believe its similar in SA) rugby this means go and ask the governing body for money. This lead to the fundamental question that if the Union (ARU or SARU) are the ones having to generate the money what function do the clubs and boards have and what are they doing. It further begs the question if their is enough money in the clubs to "line the pockets" and keep the incompetent employed why do the Unions allow the money to be bled from the game?

IMHO I think their is a direct correlation to the financial issue of Australian and SA rugby and the composition of the management and administration they have in place.

The RFU in the last few days revoked the licence of London Welsh due to them not being financially viable and to prevent more financial loss. Pure business decision.

There are reports that the London Welsh players only found out the revocation via media reports which raises more serious questions about the competence of the management.

Status
Not open for further replies.