• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 SA Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I mentioned the S&P thing under "where to for Super Rugby",

I'm genuinely concerned for SA's future.

With the rugby though, you will continue to produce more rugby players than anywhere bar England. Hold the top Coaches and the Boks can remain top 2-3 irrespective of the player drain.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hey what is SP Marais's story? A real journeyman never really grabbing his opportunity. Played for four of the saf super rugby teams.

Then this year he is just killing it.

What's the catalyst for the turnaround?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
True, but our corrupt president has ensured SA will soon have nothing left, with the Rand tumbling by 11% already to the USD since he recalled and fired our finance minister at Midnight Friday (or perhaps on April 1st).

Subsequently we have been downgraded by S&P to sub-investment grade (junk status).

Furthermore, it has been confirmed that Brendan Venter will only be with the Springboks for a short while and when the Boks take on Italy in Rome on November the 25th Venter will be with the Italians once again plotting the downfall of the Boks.

HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU HAVE A GUY COACH FOR YOU AND THREE MONTHS LATER HE COACHES AGAINST YOU.

AND YOUY FUCKING AGREE TO IT. YOU AGREE TO HIS FUCKING TERMS. YOU PAY HIM, PAT HIM ON THE BACK AND THEN HE TAKES WHAT HE KNOWS AND USES IT AGAINST YOU.

Good sense is not something which seems freely available in South African any more.

Reactions: dru

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Hey what is SP Marais's story? A real journeyman never really grabbing his opportunity. Played for four of the saf super rugby teams.

Then this year he is just killing it.

What's the catalyst for the turnaround?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allowed to run when he gets the ball. At the Bulls and Sharks he never looked like he knew what do to. Now he just goes.

Biggest turnaround in a player I have seen in a long time.

Now watch Crapzee. He will pick him and coach any confidence right out of him.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I mentioned the S&P thing under "where to for Super Rugby",

I'm genuinely concerned for SA's future.

With the rugby though, you will continue to produce more rugby players than anywhere bar England. Hold the top Coaches and the Boks can remain top 2-3 irrespective of the player drain.

People are very depressed. I don't watch facebook much at all but this is no longer funny. People are genuinely distressed.

I know people who are making plans to leave and I NEVER thought they would go. They are from all walks of life: farmers, corporate types, self employed. These were all people whom I respected for their endurance and will to make things in work in SA. If they lose hope things must be really bad.

Crime is getting our of control again. My mother has had to give up her evening bridge game for fear of hijacking. She lives in what you would call the "posh" suburbs of Pretoria. She is simply too scared to drive the 3km to her friend's house on her own in the dark. She also no longer goes to the local shopping mall too early in the morning when it's quiet. Too risky to park when alone and there aren't lots of people around.

One of my best mates has had to sell an extremely successful business he has had for 20+ years. Can no longer import with the Rand what it is.

How we can expect rugby to be completely insulated from economic and social deterioration is simply naive.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
How we can expect rugby to be completely insulated from economic and social deterioration is simply naive.

Where my alarm bells starting ringing was Zuma sheeting home talk of land reform.

For here though, am I right that there is a new Sports Minister and that this new guy is thought to be less aggressive on the impact of transformation?

We have to hope that SANZAR have a handle on it.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Where my alarm bells starting ringing was Zuma sheeting home talk of land reform.

For here though, am I right that there is a new Sports Minister and that this new guy is thought to be less aggressive on the impact of transformation?

We have to hope that SANZAR have a handle on it.
He's less of a verbal nut, but no one really knows how aggressive he may or may not be toward any policy behind the scenes.

Reactions: dru

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Nope. It will be Jantjes. They may have a brain explosion and put Steyn on the bench though.

All depends if Lambie is fit and if they are willing to chance young Curwin Bosch or give du Preez a shot off the bench.

It's pretty dire though. Jantjes has had ample opportunities and has been crap in test rugby. Lambie is always one tackle away from being out for six months. The rest are unproven.

If Steyn starts a test I will switch off.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
All I know is that Curwin Bosch must not come anywhere near a BOk team. We have a history of destroying young 10's

One bad game and the media and supporters will turn on him. It's what we seem to do.

He will end up pissing off overseas in thee years time and we will never hear of him again.

Leave him learn this year.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Nope. It will be Jantjes. They may have a brain explosion and put Steyn on the bench though.

All depends if Lambie is fit and if they are willing to chance young Curwin Bosch or give du Preez a shot off the bench.

It's pretty dire though. Jantjes has had ample opportunities and has been crap in test rugby. Lambie is always one tackle away from being out for six months. The rest are unproven.

If Steyn starts a test I will switch off.

To be fair to Jantjies, he was stuck at pivot for a team that was built to play in multiples of three. He does not play like that.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
To be fair to any 10 in 2016 our forwards sucked big time.

There are guys like the du Plessis brothers, WP Nel (Scotland), Marcell Coetzee, Heinrich Brussouw etc. all plying their trade overseas. Not to mention CJ Stander (Ireland). People lost to this country's playing stocks. Pierre Spies (never rated him that much but not a bad player). Duane Vermeulen.

It's been going on for a while too.

These players are knackered by the time they end up in Bok squads (if they do so at all) and they are missed in Super Rugby in order to educate and mentor the younger players and keep the competitiveness up from a South African perspective.

Those are just a few names in the forwards.

This is from a recent article in a SA news article. Players that could have been plying their trade locally had the rand and political circumstances been better:

15. Gio Aplon (Grenoble)
14. Willie le Roux (Wasps)
13. JP Pietersen (Leicester)
12. Frans Steyn (Montpellier)
11. Bryan Habana (Toulon)
10. Ruan Pienaar (Ulster)
9. Francois Hougaard (Worcester)
8. Duane Vermeulen (Toulon)
7. Schalk Burger (Saracens)
6. Francois Louw (Bath)
5. Juandre Kruger (Toulon)
4. Paul Willemse (Montpellier)
3. Jannie du Plessis (Montpellier)
2. Bismarck du Plessis (Montpellier)
1. Albertus Buckle (Grenoble)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Just put new jersies on the Lions. Top it up with a couple of guys from the Kings.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting, unexpected and supportive input from the New RSA Minister for Sport.

http://www.rugby365.com/countries/south-africa/78842-sa-gov-to-back-world-cup-2023-bid

Highlights:
x supports the 2323 RWC bid
x suggests that development of grass roots school rugby is the responsibility of the (govt) schools not SARU
x the report from the "eminent persons group" held back from SARU and public issue appears to have been supportive. This report on transformation.
x acknowledges the input to rugby from Model C Schools - sort of akin to Gonski thanking the private schools for their contribution to sport/rugby

To my great astonishment, South African rugby politics seems to be going through a period of harmony and pulling together.

Jealous much?

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
^

If you listen to the audio on the Youtube video below the article he mentions Australia's problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.