• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

in 48-72 hours

Watch it come true after i make this statement.
Nothing would surprise after the events of this year, however it is very late in the season to flag a major change to the U20 Super Rugby comp in favour of an U19s to come into effect in a few months time.
Seems more likely it will happen at the end of next season but it would be interesting to know how many Clubs have been informed of any impending changes.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Melbourne are having 2 U19's games in the coming weeks I'm hearing. With Henderson there he would know what is going on.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
Watch it come true after i make this statement.
Nothing would surprise after the events of this year, however it is very late in the season to flag a major change to the U20 Super Rugby comp in favour of an U19s to come into effect in a few months time.
Seems more likely it will happen at the end of next season but it would be interesting to know how many Clubs have been informed of any impending changes.

If history is any guide - 2 :mad:

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
So from what I have gathered we are changing to a NRC u19's competition for this time next year (end of 2018). The squad for the Australian under 20's team of 2019 will be assembled after this tournament and then train together over different periods until the Junior World Cup, allowing players more game time in their local competitions and better tournament preparation.

For this Australian u20's team of 2018, I have heard the squad is all but picked already. Everything from above stays the same barring the NRC U19's competition which will not go ahead for this NRC season.

Disappointing they couldn't get it all up and running for this years NRC, that would have been great.

S

sidelineview

It sounds like a good change but its very disappointing it didnt get off the ground for this year.

So the U20s squad for 2018 is all but picked ? but they'll need game time together.
All will no doubt be revealed regarding trial games and preparation.

i have to wonder what other changes are in the wind to better develop the Colts players?
At least some positive changes are being looked at and implemented.

The U19s might even be taught to catch and pass properly before they become Wallabies ;)

T

TOCC

So from what I have gathered we are changing to a NRC u19's competition for this time next year (end of 2018). The squad for the Australian under 20's team of 2019 will be assembled after this tournament and then train together over different periods until the Junior World Cup, allowing players more game time in their local competitions and better tournament preparation.

For this Australian u20's team of 2018, I have heard the squad is all but picked already. Everything from above stays the same barring the NRC U19's competition which will not go ahead for this NRC season.

Disappointing they couldn't get it all up and running for this years NRC, that would have been great.

Sounds much improved and will resolve many of the criticisms that a few of us have on the current system.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Sounds much improved and will resolve many of the criticisms that a few of us have on the current system.

I love the emphasis on more rugby. Especially with players who make their state sides currently but don't make the national cut only make about 5 or so club appearances so it's good to get those boys into the action more often

T

TOCC

^^ Yep thats the nuts and bolts of it, it was detracting from the club level by removing the best players, but as you say, some of those players taken away weren't getting that much game time. It was detrimental to their development in their formative years. For guys who are still learning the game, developing physically and mentally maturing, they simply need to out playing rugby. this is a positive step, less time in the gym, more time on the pitch.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
It sounds like a good change but its very disappointing it didnt get off the ground for this year.

So the U20s squad for 2018 is all but picked ? but they'll need game time together.
All will no doubt be revealed regarding trial games and preparation.
Well to be honest they only had a couple days together given they Super Rugby players and sevens boys only joined in Georgia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
So what fixtures are scheduled for the 2018 under 20? Apparently no Super 20.

IS seems to think there is a game between Gen Blue and Brumbies in September.

But I don't think any Gen Blue players are aware.

In any case that would be very early and very limited for selection for Aus U20.

Are they just selecting off club form?

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.