• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ACTJRU U18 & ACT Schools XV 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACTJRUGURU

Bob McCowan (2)
I will be suprised if Marist get close to Knox too.

Knox Grammar have a strong 16A but have struggled in 1st 15 games this year, They lost to Barker college by 22 points while marist only went down to barker by a single Try. St Augustines do not have many imports at all mate, they Have just one import in Johnnie Walker, an u16 player from NSW country, The rest of the side is made up by year 11 students and local northern suburbs boys, they have eased off importing and now focus on retaining players and not allowing them to be taken by GPS schools (newington mainly).

A

ACT player

Today i watched Grammar V St Augustines, This team who is suppose to be the front runner of the ACT u18s Comp are a touch football side, they cannot defend. St Augustines played a fast expansive game that Grammar could not handle. As the GURU of ACT rugby i predict grammar to not even make the ACTJRU u18 Grand Final in 2012. Marist V Eddies will be the fixture for this years grand finals in 1st, 2nds, 16A, 15A, 13A, 12A and 10A.

Okay lets be serious. Auggies are one of the powerhouses of NSW Rugby Union not to mention that they also have several star league hybrids e.g. Natoli. You saying that Grammar cannot defend is absolute bollocks. I agree with you that yes Augustines did play a fast game with great support play throughout that indeed Grammar was overwhelmed by but the Grammar boys tried hard in defence and as was predicted, Auggies powered through dominantly.If anything, I expected the scoreline to be a bit greater.

Also, if Grammar was at full strength and not riddled with major and minor injuries (i.e. Staniforth, Stanford(off in first half), Khalfan(off at half time), Narracott(off in first half)) I'm sure that they would've given Augustines a much better fight than what was seen today.

Unfortunately for Grammar, the season ahead does look bleak with the injuries steadily taking their tolls. They definitely need more depth, I simply can't see the back three posing a real threat without the injection of speed that is Narracott.

For Knox v Marist, Knox by 15.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Knox Grammar have a strong 16A but have struggled in 1st 15 games this year, They lost to Barker college by 22 points while marist only went down to barker by a single Try. St Augustines do not have many imports at all mate, they Have just one import in Johnnie Walker, an u16 player from NSW country, The rest of the side is made up by year 11 students and local northern suburbs boys, they have eased off importing and now focus on retaining players and not allowing them to be taken by GPS schools (newington mainly).

Sorry Guru but I dont believe that. I am familiar with the people who run Auggies rugby and frankly thats not how they roll. One player only! Is that what is regarded as acceptable these days? With regards to Marist and Knox...Marist lost to Grammar early this year and in general ACTJRU standards are quite a deal lower than most of Sydneys top schools. I would expect nothing less than 30 points difference.

E

Eshlad

. You saying that Grammar cannot defend is absolute bollocks.
Were you watching the same game i was? grammar probably missed over 50 tackles! and you think they can defend? Auggies are a good side but still i expected more from grammar.

ACTJRUGURU

Bob McCowan (2)
Sorry Guru but I dont believe that. I am familiar with the people who run Auggies rugby and frankly thats not how they roll. One player only! Is that what is regarded as acceptable these days? With regards to Marist and Knox.Marist lost to Grammar early this year and in general ACTJRU standards are quite a deal lower than most of Sydneys top schools. I would expect nothing less than 30 points difference.

Then im sure you'd be familiar with the fact they got into trouble over recent years with importing students in years 10, 11 and 12. They now target local boys who are attending public school in years 7 and 8 to develop them so its not "importing". As for Grammar they do not have ANYTHING to look forward too over the next few years, from there u11s to u16s they are terrible. There 1st's started this season yes, but with no depth they will struggle to continue there unbeaten run. Knox are going to finish mid of the CAS, they are not contenders for the title this season, the game will be closer then 15 points.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Then im sure you'd be familiar with the fact they got into trouble over recent years with importing students in years 10, 11 and 12. They now target local boys who are attending public school in years 7 and 8 to develop them so its not "importing". As for Grammar they do not have ANYTHING to look forward too over the next few years, from there u11s to u16s they are terrible. There 1st's started this season yes, but with no depth they will struggle to continue there unbeaten run. Knox are going to finish mid of the CAS, they are not contenders for the title this season, the game will be closer then 15 points.

The word 'develop' is such an over used term often adopted to disguise what is essentially still 'importing' players. For some it is even more consolation to tell people that those being 'developed' came from public schools as if to say that now they have a real chance in life because they are being 'developed' at a fee paying private school. What ever word they chose to use it is an insult to peoples intelligence and they should just call it what it is - importing! Whats more it is more often importing for the sake of boosting the egos of those running the school or its rugby program rather than being of much assistance to the kid themselves.

I agree with you re Grammar. Until they and Dara can get higher participation levels, and there for depth they will never really be able to threaten Marist or Eddies on an ongoing basis.

I am pretty confident of Knox by about 30. I hope I am wrong though

ACTJRUGURU

Bob McCowan (2)
The word 'develop' is such an over used term often adopted to disguise what is essentially still 'importing' players. For some it is even more consolation to tell people that those being 'developed' came from public schools as if to say that now they have a real chance in life because they are being 'developed' at a fee paying private school. What ever word they chose to use it is an insult to peoples intelligence and they should just call it what it is - importing! Whats more it is more often importing for the sake of boosting the egos of those running the school or its rugby program rather than being of much assistance to the kid themselves.

I agree with you re Grammar. Until they and Dara can get higher participation levels, and there for depth they will never really be able to threaten Marist or Eddies on an ongoing basis.

ALL schools want high achieving students going to there schools weather they are good at Rugby, Athletics or Academics, having the best students and doing well in these areas raises the reputation of the school allowing them to charge more on fees. Its human nature to want to win, and if you do this by promoting your school and offering a place to attend the school then im all for it. Raising school moral through achieving high standards in Sport is great for the overall feeling of a school which attracts better teaching and coaching staff, this can only be a positive for the students sporting and academics. Use whatever word but a school attracts students that are interested in which ever area the schools is strong in , Rugby players may want to attend St augustines, Riverview, Kings, Newintngton, Nudgee, Chuchie, brisbane state high, a student who enjoys maths may want to attend Grammar or a school with a strong mathematics department, if you are strong in an area you attract people who are passionate about that certain area. If the student did not want to attend the school then they wouldn't, so even if the school approached them and helped with the fees its irrelevant.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
ALL schools want high achieving students going to there schools weather they are good at Rugby, Athletics or Academics, having the best students and doing well in these areas raises the reputation of the school allowing them to charge more on fees. Its human nature to want to win, and if you do this by promoting your school and offering a place to attend the school then im all for it. Raising school moral through achieving high standards in Sport is great for the overall feeling of a school which attracts better teaching and coaching staff, this can only be a positive for the students sporting and academics. Use whatever word but a school attracts students that are interested in which ever area the schools is strong in , Rugby players may want to attend St augustines, Riverview, Kings, Newintngton, Nudgee, Chuchie, brisbane state high, a student who enjoys maths may want to attend Grammar or a school with a strong mathematics department, if you are strong in an area you attract people who are passionate about that certain area. If the student did not want to attend the school then they wouldn't, so even if the school approached them and helped with the fees its irrelevant.

"Built it and they will come" School like Sydney High attract students of academic excellence. So why should it surprise if some schools attract sportsman

T

Tarabs

whats the quality of rugby like down in the ACT? coming down to NSW to play eddies and a couple of sydney schools. anything useful you could reveal ?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
whats the quality of rugby like down in the ACT? coming down to NSW to play eddies and a couple of sydney schools. anything useful you could reveal ?

It's still competitive, but it was massively
Impacted and went downhill when all the teams were excluded from the Waratah Shield, as there was basically nothing to play for. Teams like Marist, Darra and Eddies focus less on rugby these days, and the good schoolboys tend to play league now as there are more avenues to progress (Arrive Alive Cup, SG Ball, Harold Matts, Toyota Cup). There's also a ton of money to be earnt playing club league here straight out of school, while the union competition has a strict no player payments policy. Which is a shame because in the past Canberra punched well above their weight in producing talent.

uninorths

Frank Nicholson (4)
Vikings 29 - 13 Uni Norths
Marist 26 - 19 Eddies
Royals 3 - 50 (something) Grammar
Wests 12 - 35 Darra

Not sure about accuracy of last 2 results..

ACTJRUGURU

Bob McCowan (2)

Marist 40

Knox Grammar 0

Enough said.

E

Eshlad

Should have been a lot more though, say marist would have bombed at least 4 tries.

A

ACT player

Marist 40

Knox Grammar 0

Enough said.
Wow...

Can someone watching the game or from Knox please explain.
No offense to Marist here but there honestly must've been missing some key players missing or Marist must've played a killer game.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I cant wait to here the standard Sydney school response to losing to an ACT school of "We only played our thirds or u16's because our CAS/GPS/ISA commitments are our priority at that moment". Wait for it....

B

Burbleson

Marist def. Wests 40-0, went into half time 7-0 up after too many turnovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.