• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
dbla

PS You had better call first.

There used to be a club in the Cross that had an in-house broadcast of Ireland 6N games but I forget which one and since Ireland isn't involved it probably doesn't signify.

It was colourful though; the craic was there. There was an Irish lass there once who looked like a gypsy and was drop dead gorgeous but she spent most of the game extolling the merit of Brian O'Driscoll's arse.

Couldn't see it myself.

D

dbla

Don't know but I just happened to see this listing:

http://www.myp2p.eu/competition.php?competitionid=&part=sports&discipline=rugby

Have never used the site but I assume that you click on the TV icon on the far right when the game starts.

Best to google a few things yourself and have a few ready to go in case they don't work.

Incidentally it's on Setanta in Oz so go to some Irish bar and they should have it and you can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Good luck.

Ah I didn't realise it was on Setanta, cheers for the heads up, you and Bowside

B

baldingwingforward

Regardless of the law changes the World Cup will be approached differently by teams due to the pressure of a knock out competition. Everytime it comes around everyone says "oh i can't wait for the expansive style from the Southern Hemisphere countries and the Northern Hemisphere will struggle blah blah blah..." It never happens! Just take a look at the stats from previous years. There are always loads of tries scored before a RWC but never anywhere near as many in the WC.

The Southern Hemisphere do place more emphasis on running the ball no doubt about it - but what happens when it is pissing down with rain and you need a plan B? With the World cup in NZ you can bet that a number of games will be rain affected. Anyone see the ITM final last night? The weather was terrible!! The Kiwis to a degree can handle the weather, the Aussies and the Saffas suck at playing in the rain. Couple that with the fact that the pressure is up about 1000% and all of a sudden the Northern teams are back in it! The added bonus is that the European players are used to playing in knock out games and games that count every week. In the S Hemisphere it doesn't matter if you lose or come last in the Suoer 14 - you still rock up in the same competition the next season. If you lose every game in your French, or English league, your team gets relegated and you will probably lose your job as the club will lose out on millions $! This also gives the players an added edge - they know how to win ugly because they have to do it every week.

The Aussies do have a great backline but only when they are going forward. Their defence is at times terrible. QC (Quade Cooper) is going to have a torrid time of it and there are only so many tackles that DP can make for him! I'm not convinced by Giteau either.

And as to the forwards... Please!! David Pocock is real class, but after that the rest are no where near it! If Nathan Sharpe continues to play the rest of the other forward packs around the world must just chuckle to themselves when they see his name on the team sheet. Robinson is ok.. TPN, great around the filed but couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo at the l/o. The other side of the scrum - doesn't matter who it is, they're not good enough. Sharpe is a joke - IF Australia play Vickerman and Horwill next year then they have a chance. Every other international team hopes they stick with Sharpe and Chisholm. Elsom - inconsistent. McCalman is ok but lacks experience, Pocock is very decent, but the Aussies are #ucked if he gets injured as the next player behind is nowhere near as good. I would even call Smith out of retirement if Pocock went down!

YES Australia won last week against the ABs but their scrum was horrible. If you think the scrum isn't important just ask the guys who had to front up against Sheridan in the '07 World cup 1/4 final...

I think Australia will win all games except France. The Abs will win all, although if the scheduling was different it might be tougher for them. Whilst it is the end of their season and the players are exhausted, the Southern players do have a huge advantage of continuity and tried and tested combos.

The Northern teams will take a couple of games to hit their straps - but they will still struggle.

South Africa could easily lose to Ireland, England and Wales.

It will be an interesting month!

D

dbla

Which is of course why the northern hemisphere teams have won so many world cups and tour so well...

As for the Aus scrum and forwards being rubbish, the two first choice props are on the return from injury so I'm not suprised they are a bit under done, but you obviously seem to have forgotten last years end of year tour when they dusted pretty much every scrum opposite them. Once they are back to their best I wouldn't be suprised to see the same again.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Does anyone know here a Melbourne boy with Foxtel could see the AB game? I can't find it listed anywhere, unless it's on Eurosports or something.

Is it screening online anywhere?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I don't think you've been listening in the last 10 years at least. Not many from NZ in recent memory would dare say "wait 'til the World Cup". In fact that's the war-cry of the other pretenders to that crown when regularly and soundly beaten by the All Blacks in between times.

Where ya been? And why the bitterness newbie? We here are a very small country which happens to do well at one particular niche sport and you back ENGLAND?

And Groucho, I know you've had a few issues with an expat Kiwi but that's no reason to part from your normal, balanced approach to posting.

I for one am happy if the ABs play at 80% this whole Northern Tour. We know they have to overcome a lot of baggage in 12 months time so the timing of the run is essential. That time is not now.

Muttonbird, I was only ragging dwats002, and I apologise if I caused an offence. I honestly haven't got an anti-Kiwi bone in my body. Most of my real-world rugby watching mates are New Zealanders :)

M

Muttonbird

Agreed that dwats needs a bit of guidance early. Thanks Groucho.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
BWF, I think the fact that the 3N teams have such a good record against the NH teams home or away would tend to suggest that we have the game to beat them in most conditions. We in OZ have the worst record of the three, but even ours has been pretty good in the last 30 years. And I think that Aussie and Saffer teams know a thing or two about pressure rugby in the knockout stages: we've both won the WC twice, both of those times away from home in our case. I'm not saying we should be favourites or anything for next year, but I'd lay money on us, the Saffers or the Blacks winning it. Only France look to be a significant threat 12 months out and if I'm honest, they look mighty threatening. The other 6N teams don't appear to have the cattle to do it at this point, but I guess we'll know more in the next month.

The wet doesn't suit us, but it doesn't really suit all but the most forward dominated teams, like England. Ireland play an expansive game and have an excellent backline, Wales have traditionally been pretty adventurous and we all know about the French.

I think you underrate our pack too. Sharpe has been right up there with the better locks in world rugby over the last couple of seasons, Pocock we all know about, Elsom is world class and might I add tore it up in the North when he played there, the two Ben(n)s are very serviceable in the scrum and especially around the park and TPN/Moore form a very good hooking combination. So that leaves us needing a better tighthead lock and an eight. As it happens, we have a couple of good blokes coming back from injury who might be able to do those jobs.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Does anyone know here a Melbourne boy with Foxtel could see the AB game? I can't find it listed anywhere, unless it's on Eurosports or something.

Is it screening online anywhere?

EFR - if you are a Foxtel subscriber, you can quickly online take out a 'via Foxtel' Setanta subscription for a couple of months (or longer) and via Setanta you can watch the ABs' game on Foxtel (ch 525 from memory, but pls check), plus watch it via Setanta's internet service as well! Once you take this out online from the link below (see top right corner for Foxtel), the channel is immediately available so you can watch the ABs tonight.

See: http://www.setanta.com.au

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Lee be a bit careful with myp2p it can lead you to believe a game is being broadcasted but quite often you cant click on the link, by clicking on the tv icon you are presented with the streams people have said they will put up. Many dont btw, its probably a safer option to go on justin tv because you can see if it is actally being broadcasted.

I'm assuming that you boys will be watching the AUs wales game, im gonna watch that straight after the england game, man I love sky plus

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for the warning. I have tried Justin TV and can't work it out. I came up with this link which indicated it was live sports:
http://www.justin.tv/directory/sports?order=hot&page=1&lang=en

There was a list of 36 thumbnails on the 1st page. The first one was a live soccer game in Oz and it came up - just a few seconds behind the game on the TV. Good O. Then I clicked on the thumbnail for the league game which was also on TV. The ad worked but it the game didn't start. I've got ASDL2 so bandwidth shouldn't be the problem. I tried a few others and just got the ad.

I guess my question to you is: when you first click on Justin TV to use it, what do you see in the address bar? Maybe I'm on the wrong branch of the site.

Also, does Justin TV have a list of what is on currently as opposed to a page of icons some of which may represent canned and not live shows?

And is there a list of what is coming up?

Thanks.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
EFR - if you are a Foxtel subscriber, you can quickly online take out a 'via Foxtel' Setanta subscription for a couple of months (or longer) and via Setanta you can watch the ABs' game on Foxtel (ch 525 from memory, but pls check), plus watch it via Setanta's internet service as well! Once you take this out online from the link below (see top right corner for Foxtel), the channel is immediately available so you can watch the ABs tonight.

See: http://www.setanta.com.au

I looked into this yesterday, $16.95 to join for one month and $16.95 joining fee. $34 for the rest of the NH games isn't too bad compared to the price of a one off Mundine/Green fight on main event.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Ok don't go on the main bit of the site go on this bit, http://www.justin.tv/directory/sports, which Is what you were on but saves time getting to the sports bit

Ok basically when selecting the icons some of them will only have a picture and maybe a link on the right hand side in the text box.

The ones without a generic screenshot of a rugby game are usually the actual links, the channels won't be up for another couple of hours but they should definitely be on. Also the number of viewers is usually an indicator if it is a real stream or not

Not sure about a list of upcoming games, pretty sure its just that screen.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Depending on the weather in London, I think the All Blacks will win by 15-20 points with the rain. Without rain, I think it will be a 30 + win.

England simply won't adapt to the interpretations, and will be left playing catch up. A combination of the English undisciplined Tackle, Ruck and Maul play, and it's conservatism will lead to a massive All Blacks win this evening.

I think that's about right chief. They will be pushing the proverbial up hill won't they and they will also suffer from the effect of the Kiwi yellow card syndrome.

I was watching a Setanta rugby show called "The Breakdown" this week and they said a Setanta analylist had calculated that the Springboks got a yellow card for every 6 penalties; the Wallabies one for every 7 penalties and the All Blacks one for every 46 penalties. The analyst formed the opinion, watching all the games, that more than the others the All Blacks would give away cunning penalties near their line because they weren't getting the cards. In particular props would routinely go into the side of rucks. They used the phrase "they have intimidated referees".

Tell me it ain't true Richie; tell me it ain't true.

B

baldingwingforward

Which is of course why the northern hemisphere teams have won so many world cups and tour so well...QUOTE]

The Northern Hemisphere teams have figured in all but one final ... They just didn't win as many :) If things had been different it could have been only 1 Southern win! Apart from 87 and 99, all the games have been very close and could have gone either way.

87 - NZ vs France
91 - Aus vs Eng
95 - NZ vs SA
99 - Aus vs Fra
03 - Aus vs Eng
07 - Eng vs SA

As to the touring - when they send their full sides, which isn't very often, they go alright in the South. In 2003 England sent their full squad and beat NZ and Oz. Last year France sent their full side and upset NZ. This year England finally sent a full compliment again and they beat Oz - although that was largely thanks to Matt Giteaus ineptitude, not due to ENgland ability, and the fact that the Aussie scrum was an embarrassment.

Realistically with the way the global season is players are burnt out by the end of their respective domestic seasons and many do not tour as they need surgery or simply need a rest. The ONLY reliable yardstick is a World Cup as that is the only time there are no excuses and all the best players should be on deck.

Australia will have a few back next year. The fitness of Horwill will be key and as will whether QC (Quade Cooper) learns to tackle by then...
Everyone has written off South Africa already but they have some brilliant players to come back from injury including Heinrich Brussouw who was the best forward in the world in 2009!
New Zealand - can they hang on after it seems they have peaked to early again. If Carter goes down that would seem to be their biggest problem. They have great cover everywhere it would seem apart from at 10. They would also struggle if McCaw gets hurt.

Reido

Sydney Middleton (9)
Where ya been? And why the bitterness newbie? We here are a very small country which happens to do well at one particular niche sport and you back ENGLAND.

It's not bitterness, just wishful thinking. I was hoping a loss to england and a thrashing of wales by the wallabies would put the good guys into the number 1 spot. After seeing the lead in the rankings almost cut in half after last weeks game, I thought that this may result in a changing of the top spot. Unfortunately for Wallaby fans, this won't be the case. The above scenario will result in nz's stranglehold of the top position reduced to 2 points. That is much better than 5.

No bitterness intended, I'm just wanting the team I back, back in the top spot. For me, it's been WAY too long.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think that's about right chief. They will be pushing the proverbial up hill won't they and they will also suffer from the effect of the Kiwi yellow card syndrome.

I was watching a Setanta rugby show called "The Breakdown" this week and they said a Setanta analylist had calculated that the Springboks got a yellow card for every 6 penalties; the Wallabies one for every 7 penalties and the All Blacks one for every 46 penalties. The analyst formed the opinion, watching all the games, that more than the others the All Blacks would give away cunning penalties near their line because they weren't getting the cards. In particular props would routinely go into the side of rucks. They used the phrase "they have intimidated referees".

Tell me it ain't true Richie; tell me it ain't true.

Hmmm think I saw some stats to that effect on some Aussie rugby site somewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.