• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argentina v Australia, Mendoza 4/10/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
But that man had balls, clearly... as the French were trying to grab them.
Hopefully not as a precursor for testicular surgery a la Wayne "Buck" Shelford's "operation" in the 1986 game in Nantes.:eek:

The mungos think Burgess was tough playing with a cracked melon in their GF. Try this for toughness:
"... ... ... Shelford made his Test debut for the All Blacks later that year against France in a 19–7 victory in Toulouse, and then was a notable victim of the infamous "Battle of Nantes" in the second Test. Roughly 20 minutes into the match, he was caught at the bottom of a rather aggressive ruck, and an errant French boot found its way into Shelford's groin, somehow ripping his scrotum and leaving one testicle hanging free. He also lost four teeth in the process. Incredibly, after discovering the injury to his scrotum, he calmly asked the physio to stitch up the tear and returned to the field before a blow to his head left him concussed. ... ... ..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Shelford

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Lasergate.

Before the game, it was patently obvious that this was going to be an issue. It was used against Beaugan Barrett the week previous, as well as in the games last year.

Did the Coach and remnants of team management left in country speak with the UAR (and referee) before hand and raise their concerns?

Did the Coach have a contingency plan to invoke in the event that it happened again, despite raising the issue with the UAR?

Was the Coaches contingency plan communicated to the Captain and Wallaby leadership group?

Has ARU raised the issue with IRB?

The Captain and Referee should not be forced to make a decision on the fly about a known problem with laser targeting. If the Captain is going to take the team off and potentially forfeit the game, then that strategy must have been discussed and agreed to beforehand by the players, approved by the Coach and endorsed by the ARU.

Make the ground marshall take responsibility for sorting it. If this involves ground security, so be it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Getting Watson to clamp down on French dirty play......

Somewhat ironically, Eales was yellow carded in the final.

Slim - I dips me lid.
I had no recollection of that all
The opening brace of penalties were swiftly followed by another one to each side. John Eales was yellow-carded for foul play and Lamaison did well to make good a tricky 50-yard opportunity. Then Tim Horan sliced open the thin blue line to set up Burke's second successful attempt.
http://www.espnscrum.com/statsguru/rugby/story/83337.html

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Somewhat ironically, Eales was yellow carded in the final.

No he wasn't.

Somebody was pulling at his jersey in the 1999 RWC final and Eales tried to release his grip by punching his hand or arm.

Watson penalised him for punching.

It was the only time I recall that Eales was penalised for foul play.

I forget what Watson said to to Eales, and I am too lazy to play my recording to find the point where it happened; but Eales was non-plussed - his response was - "Is that right?"

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Are you sure Lee?

What was not was the yellow card then shown to John Eales, the Australian captain, picked out by the referee, Mr Andre Watson, for flying recklessly into a ruck. Eales has been just about everything on the rugby field in his illustrious career, but a beast he is not.

The penalty he conceded allowed Christophe Lamaison to kick his second penalty and put France 6-3 ahead, Burke having slotted his first for Australia. The lead did not last long, for a charge by Kefu and a break by Horan set up a position for Burke's second penalty.

http://www.theguardian.com/rugbycup/Story/0,,196937,00.html

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Same old, same old from the Wobs unfortunately

Not working hard enough to create opportunities, at kick chase, at kick receipt, in general support play, in running lines, in defence, in the cleanout = another loss

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm finally getting to watch my recording of this game. I'm 15 mins in and it's 14-0 to the Wallabies.
Going by the end score it just goes downhill from here?
Is it a decent game to watch (result notwithstanding) or if I have a few things to get done would my time be better spent on other stuff? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just to clarify, Eales was shown a yellow card for a "punch" in the '99 final but wasn't sent off:

Around 7:51 -

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah - I'm watching my recording of it and just saw it too.

In those days they copied the "soccer" procedure and you could get a warning yellow card. They changed it later.

I forgot that. You were right Slim.

Status
Not open for further replies.