• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratosph3R3

Stan Wickham (3)
Can anyone shed some light as to why the Under 15s final will be played in Perth, given that both Western NSW and ACT finished higher on an aggregate table?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
It's the same for U17, the national finals will be played in Brisbane despite Met West finishing higher and ACT finishing on equal points as Brisbane. The location must be determined on factors other than points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Western Sydney inspired by Qantas Wallaby for Finals

Printable Version Recommend Email to a friend
* required fields

From*
To*
Message (Optional)

3/18/2016
By Patrick Foulkes
160317%20JGC%20TPN%20edit%20.jpg

Tatafu Polota-Nau visited the Western Sydney Junior Gold Cup team.​
The Western Sydney U17s side have had a visit from one of the Parramatta Two Blues own in Qantas Wallaby, Tatafu Polota-Nau who visited the side at training on Wednesday.
The team was preparing for the Southern Conference Final of the BMW JGC which will take place at TG Milner, Eastwood at 2pm on Sunday afternoon against the ACT.
Polota-Nau surprised the team at training to wish them the best of luck and to meet the players who would be representing Western Sydney in the BMW Junior Gold Cup Finals.
A stalwart of Rugby in Sydney’s West Tatafu had drafted a letter that went to each player focusing on the team’s journey to the Final and wishing them the best for the match.
For the young Western Sydney side, it was a great opportunity to meet one of their Wallaby heroes as U17s Head Coach, Jack Lloyd attested: “Our guys got an amazing kick out of Tatafu’s visit and it was a real surprise for them.
“The team has been working really hard since we started pre-season in November and for them to have come this far, has been a credit to the hard work they have put it.
“Tatafu’s letter really touched the kids to meet their idol who came from the same part of Sydney they did, it simply transcends Rugby-It was just a really great moment.”
The Western Sydney team won all five of its pool matches with a points difference of 120, the second best in the age group of the competition.
In the Northern Conference Final on Tuesday Brisbane won the U17s against Western Australia in a tight 26-24 victory and in the U15s Western Australia defeated Brisbane City Gold 26-10.
The winner of the Southern Conference Final in Sydney on Sunday will travel to Brisbane for the Junior Gold Cup U17s Final which will be a curtain raiser match to the Queensland Reds taking on the Waratahs at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane on Sunday 27 March.

ajb

Frank Row (1)
[qhuote="Blackers13, post: 826211, member: 3923"]Western Sydney inspired by Qantas Wallaby for Finals

Printable Version Recommend Email to a friend
* required fields

From*
To*
Message (Optional)

3/18/2016
By Patrick Foulkes
160317%20JGC%20TPN%20edit%20.jpg

Tatafu Polota-Nau visited the Western Sydney Junior Gold Cup team.​
The Western Sydney U17s side have had a visit from one of the Parramatta Two Blues own in Qantas Wallaby, Tatafu Polota-Nau who visited the side at training on Wednesday.
The team was preparing for the Southern Conference Final of the BMW JGC which will take place at TG Milner, Eastwood at 2pm on Sunday afternoon against the ACT.
Polota-Nau surprised the team at training to wish them the best of luck and to meet the players who would be representing Western Sydney in the BMW Junior Gold Cup Finals.
A stalwart of Rugby in Sydney’s West Tatafu had drafted a letter that went to each player focusing on the team’s journey to the Final and wishing them the best for the match.
For the young Western Sydney side, it was a great opportunity to meet one of their Wallaby heroes as U17s Head Coach, Jack Lloyd attested: “Our guys got an amazing kick out of Tatafu’s visit and it was a real surprise for them.
“The team has been working really hard since we started pre-season in November and for them to have come this far, has been a credit to the hard work they have put it.
“Tatafu’s letter really touched the kids to meet their idol who came from the same part of Sydney they did, it simply transcends Rugby-It was just a really great moment.”
The Western Sydney team won all five of its pool matches with a points difference of 120, the second best in the age group of the competition.
In the Northern Conference Final on Tuesday Brisbane won the U17s against Western Australia in a tight 26-24 victory and in the U15s Western Australia defeated Brisbane City Gold 26-10.
The winner of the Southern Conference Final in Sydney on Sunday will travel to Brisbane for the Junior Gold Cup U17s Final which will be a curtain raiser match to the Queensland Reds taking on the Waratahs at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane on Sunday 27 March.[/quote]

ajb

Frank Row (1)
Hi congrtauletions to all the boys who had a go .
U17 brisbane through to the final at 1pm on easter sunday at suncorp.Regardless of the politics and in fighting the boys who take part in the final win,lose or draw will take away lifelong memoryies of playing on this ground
.All the south east qld teams should make an effort to support the boys agianst met west or act whoever wins through.
Whilst not perfect and very expensive my boy will remember this jgc with fond memories and new mates and better skills.We must all remember its their game we are just spectators!!! To the WA fans booing and trying to put off the penalty kick for victory the other night .GROW UP YOU CLOWNS.Thankfully these people are ina minority.Go Brisbane and thankyuo agian to all involved for a great experience.

Ruckedknee

Stan Wickham (3)
ACT 15s just beat Western NSW 22-17 to win Southern Conference. Western boys came home with a wet sail in the second half after ACT scored 3 tries in the first half. ACT scored right on the buzzer to win a thriller. Well done to both teams

stratosph3R3

Stan Wickham (3)
ACT 15s just beat Western NSW 22-17 to win Southern Conference. Western boys came home with a wet sail in the second half after ACT scored 3 tries in the first half. ACT scored right on the buzzer to win a thriller. Well done to both teams

I'll expand a bit on Ruckedknee's post.

Brumbies had the early run of play having better field position and more possession. First try came down the right, after Brumbies capitalised on WNSW error. The lead was extended to 10-0 when the ACT hooker took advantage of some lazy defence. WNSW infringements at break down resulted in a yellow card. ACT did not exploit the advantage but did put on one try - from a rolling maul. At 15-0 it looked as if the ACT would kick away. Coach for WNSW made a couple of changes including replacing one of the locks - the replacement #19 had immediate affect bring some starch to the defence. The match became a battle in the midfield, with the Brumbies forced to defend their line with clearing kicks. Sustained pressure from WNSW resulted in the Brumbies line finally breached on the stroke of half time with the WNSW #12 getting on the outside of his opposite number and scoring next to the posts. He duly converted his own try making for a 15-7 at half time score line.

WNSW were first to score after half time, the #6 (their captain I think) charging down a kick and scoring under the posts. 15-14 with 25 minutes to go. WNSW missed a penalty goal attempt from almost in front. The young bloke redeemed himself with about 10 minutes to go when he put WNSW in front with a successful penalty 17-15. Brumbies were on the back foot soon after when one of their subs was yellow carded - poor kid, his seat would have been still warm when he took the card for the team. It was the Brumbies second last sub who came on with about 7 minutes to go who changed the dynamics of the game - five carries in this period set the ACT forward. Brumbies had a penalty from in front, but like WNSW the young fella missed. ACT had field position and the ball when they recycled the ball quickly and scored adjacent to the post. With the conversion made, the ref pointed to halfway and blew the whistle for full time 22-17 to ACT.

Key moments could have been the yellow cards, both deserved, but neither team could take advantage. Ref may have missed a couple of knock ons from both teams - one when the Brumbies fullback appeared to drop in the in goal after a missed penalty - I was at wrong end of field to say if it was or wasn't but the calls from the partisan crowd suggested it was. The use and depth of bench was critical - don't know if it were a master stroke with the timing the late sub (#18 ?) or desperation from the boy himself but he lifted his team - whether he should have been put on earlier is another question.

In the 17s Met West got up 19-18 over the Brumbies.

stratosph3R3

Stan Wickham (3)
Who would want to be a coach or manager - the ACT coaching team had to make the difficult call of leaving out three boys from the semi-final squad. From my observations, the choices were justifiable. While all three boys took it with grace, one of the boys mum's let fly with language so blue it would make a sailor blush.

Who would want to be a coach or manager - the ACT coaching team had to make the difficult call of leaving out three boys from the semi-final squad. From my observations, the choices were justifiable. While all three boys took it with grace, one of the boys mum's let fly with language so blue it would make a sailor blush.

I seen one kid sat game after game in JGC, No real understanding why, & this kid has gone back to his club & gone amazing.

He has taken a Negative situation & turned it into Something very Positive, hope his parents are proud of him & he continues to grow.

Several outstanding sports stars have been told they weren't good enough & gone on to make it on an INSANE!! level,

Michael Jordan - was dropped by his high school coach because he wasn't good enough. (7 time NBA Champion, Legend)

Steph Curry - told in a scout report he wouldn't make it in the NBA.
(NBA Champion & MVP last year with better stats this year)

stratosph3R3

Stan Wickham (3)
I seen one kid sat game after game in JGC, No real understanding why, & this kid has gone back to his club & gone amazing.

He has taken a Negative situation & turned it into Something very Positive, hope his parents are proud of him & he continues to grow.

Several outstanding sports stars have been told they weren't good enough & gone on to make it on an INSANE!! level,

Michael Jordan - was dropped by his high school coach because he wasn't good enough. (7 time NBA Champion, Legend)

Steph Curry - told in a scout report he wouldn't make it in the NBA.
(NBA Champion & MVP last year with better stats this year)

The boy dropped is a quality player but he lacks the self-drive and discipline that the other boys seem to have. It does not help that he is unwilling to put in the hard yards at training. As for going back to club rugby, it seems as if mum has not just burnt bridges at rep level but gave the boy's club coach a spray too - blowing up the bridge there as well.

stratosph3R3

Stan Wickham (3)
Welcome to Representative/Finals Rugby. You have to feel sorry for the kid when the Parent acts like a baboon.

It is hard to accept that your little Johnny is not the best player in the world. I asked my boy how he would feel if he missed out or had little or no game time - he replied "I am part of the team and I will do what has to be done when it needs to be done" My jaw dropped with that, given that he normally his responses are either, "yes", "no", "good", "I don't know" or "it wasn't me".

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Don't want to take away from the team, well done and good luck, but have to ask, were there players unavailable or something for the Qld 15's team? To me there are some big omissions.

Come on ref

Allen Oxlade (6)
Don't want to take away from the team, well done and good luck, but have to ask, were there players unavailable or something for the Qld 15's team? To me there are some big omissions.
NSW train on squad is a strange setup. From what I see of it from the two teams I had any connection to it was a selection from the coaches or managers
Not from independent selectors
Some very strange selections.

Christian Cullen

Stan Wickham (3)
Yes seems some where unavailable because of a trip to New Zealand. But still some big surprises, Only 2 Ipswich boys? No Central Coast players? I'm very Surprised but hell they only u15 & what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.