• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ASICS partners with Australian Rugby Union from 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Is that to avoid having to pay the license fee or are there other issues?

Can't remember where I heard it, plain and simply Kooga Australia quickly became a bigger and a more marketable business internationally then their counterpart in Europe but was still forced to pay massive license fees.. At the last RWC 3 or 4 teams were wearing jerseys supplied/sponsored by Kooga(Australia) and whilst Kooga(UK) benefited from the market exposure they still charged a large fee to the Australian business..

I think their were a few more words and complaints exchanged but that's the nuts and bolts.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
^KooGa Australia has built up significant brand recognition over the years and to have to give it up and re-brand as BLK must hurt.

A shame they couldn't just buy the brand outright.

Anyone know what BLK stands for?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Can't remember where I heard it, plain and simply Kooga Australia quickly became a bigger and a more marketable business internationally then their counterpart in Europe but was still forced to pay massive license fees.. At the last RWC 3 or 4 teams were wearing jerseys supplied/sponsored by Kooga(Australia) and whilst Kooga(UK) benefited from the market exposure they still charged a large fee to the Australian business..

I think their were a few more words and complaints exchanged but that's the nuts and bolts.
So who owned the Kooga license in Australia?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
BLK stands for Beyond Limits Known. I actually think they've done a good job with the transition. Having the Wallabies play in BLK jerseys for the Spring tour will help that too.

My understanding is that they had to give a royalty to KooGa UK for any product sold outside Australia. They have also been very aggressive in securing teams and didn't want to be lining others pockets.

I see that the Brumbies have gone with Classic for next year.

http://www.classicsports.com.au/

T

Train Without a Station

I like the fact that it is neither hideous, nor dramatically different to the old one.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The white collar is a bit naff but the rest of it is pretty good. And praise be, it doesn't seem to have a union jack plastered on it anywhere.

T

Train Without a Station

oztimmay I actually picked up a Kooga one for free in December so I'm glad it's not 3 designs outdated already!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
oztimmay I actually picked up a Kooga one for free in December so I'm glad it's not 3 designs outdated already!

Nice work. I was thinking of taking my changes in the KooGa Wallabies fire sale, but eventually went for the Lovell Rugby BLK option. At least I know they would have my size. I've gotten used to the BLK gear and I find it very comfortable. Looks like the ASICS stuff is spray painted on, which is not good for a plus-sized gentleman like me.

T

Train Without a Station

I have the large Kooga which I assume is the same quality/size as BLK and must say it's a good fit. Tight on the pythons yet ample room in the mid section in case of a post-rugby season blow out.

T

Train Without a Station

While it's not perfect, I think we can all breath a collective sigh of relief that there was a repeat of the 90's Reebok debacle anyway!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
2XL for me, exactly the same as BLK (same company). A little stretching over time is required, but I find both my Rebels jerseys are a excellent fit.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Who's Twitter did you pick that up from TOCC? Looks a lot like the new 7's gear so probably accurate.

Hoping ASICS pump out a decent Wallabies training/running cap. Kooga never seemed to make one despite doing them for the Super Rugby teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.